Types of gun owners - Page 3

Types of gun owners

This is a discussion on Types of gun owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you get when you cross a redneck with a yuppie? A guy who drives a Volvo with a gun rack! (And I've been ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Types of gun owners

Rednecks and yuppies

What do you get when you cross a redneck with a yuppie?

A guy who drives a Volvo with a gun rack!

(And I've been looking for a gun rack for my Volvo for a long time!!!)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I know what you mean...
    I was at a range I used to frequent in Central Florida years ago, by WASP type individuals (me included).

One afternoon this black fellow came in...dressed like a rapper. He had two cases of guns...each case had 2-3 guns with lots of mags.

I watched him shoot while I was shooting...he did quite well. I was wondering what his gang affiliation was....

He was leaving about the same time I did. When he walked outside to his vehicle, it was a 42' motorhome...one of those $500,000 models.
    He was no gang member...I didn't pick that one very well. I started a conversation with him. He was a driver for some singing group and drove all over the country. He loved shooting, 2A, seemed very conservative in his views, and was quite a nice young man.

Book covers can be misleading...
    As a Service Manager to one of the larger Rv dealerships

unless the 42 foot coach was prevost it most likely 130 to 250k

still a hunk of clams if it is a newer model

My last 2 trips to the range have yielded this list.

2 young black males, gansta dress, renting guns and shooting

mother/daughter I think. YOunger had open toed shoes on.

husband and girlfriend/wife, teaching wife to shoot. I tried to help them on her low left grouping.

Older black male and girlfriend/wife.

2 hispanic males

3 LEO's 1 female, 2 male

random assortment of white guys ranging from mid twenties to about 60. The older guy had a SWEEEEET 1911 and was shooting the lights out with it. He had a stack of brass about ankle deep on the right side of the stall when I left! And a younger guy running shotgun and pistol drills on 2 lanes, I think he is one of the RSO's.

Me and my wife

It's and interesting mix.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Hey HotWing, you have to come to Tampa Bay area. One small motorhome Co. around here only keeps about a dozen units on hand. About half of them are used. The cheapest one I looked at was a mere $800K, used. Most were 1-3 million. None were Prevost's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how eclectic gun owners are. When you hear gun owner you think rural redneck, while this may be true most of the time it's not always the case.

I was at the range the other day testing out my wife's new .40 cal when a group of clean cut, marine looking Hispanic gentlemen came out from one of the lines. They had all their own range bags and equipment, they looked like pro's. It took me a back as that mental disconnect didn't add up. It just goes to show that even I (as a gun owner) bought into the typical stereotypical gun owner which is far from true.

There have been other times where I've seen business men in a tie and slacks at the range, older African-American women, soccer mom looking types, pastors, openly homosexual people etc... I know and/or see all these people at the range and I never made the connection that there are more people out there that own guns then the typical rural redneck. It has really opened my eyes that gun owners are an EXTREMELY diverse group ranging across classes of people that you would not typically expect to own guns.

What do you think?
    What do I think?

Well, stereotyping has grown old...smelly, rotten and moldy. The term just simply covers way too much in descriptive terms and can not actually be applied towards groups of people nor individuals at the same time. The word itself shouldn't even exist since it's quite obvious that other terms or words defined overlap the intentions or the meaning. Prejudice seems to be a better word for what the term stereotyping means in the definition, but not exactly a synonym.
    The second amendment applies to every American no matter where they are, no matter who they are, no matter what they drive, no matter their color or creed, and so forth. Being taken aback by seeing someone doing something or acting some way might be natural in a sense, but it only happens due to our own ideals, and how we think things should be. It's being narrow minded, and thinking that you're a pebble on the beach instead of a grain of sand like everyone else. Simple actually.....something many of us can and should overcome. I've been there.......the narrow mindedness, and the prejudice, and so forth. But I've learned a lot in my life so far, and learning more every day. I've stood with, walked with, ate with, made friends with, covered them, and cared for them as brothers and sisters in the armed forces. All with a common goal......keeping ourselves alive, and keeping our country in order. That sort of thing seems to break down the mental barriers of prejudices and stereotypes rather quickly since we all need to depend on each other especially in those types of circumstances. Good and bad with any crowd, but generally just a sampling. Very low in percentages. I wish every American had great moral character, and exercised their rights no matter what. We would be where we need to be instead of behind in the big picture. I'm glad gun ownership, concealed carry, and the shooting sports has such a diverse following now. Folks should get with it, and bring things back into perspective......no matter who they are, what they look like, or whom they ask for divine guidance. For our country as a whole, and our future, depend upon these things. I am an American.
    Once an individual learns, or decides to take up a shooting sport, or carry for self protection, and exercise those rights given to us all, then it's not only an individual ideal.........it's something all Americans should have in common is an ideal collectively, whether realized or not. We can take care of our own, we're grown, and don't need a baby-sitter anymore. It's teamwork that will get us where we need to be, and the prejudices or whatever should end so nobody feels embarrassed, or wants to hide because of what anyone else thinks. I'd like nothing better than a totally armed America....individually, and collectively. If that was the case years ago, do you think anyone would have ever attempted an attack on American soil such as 9-11? Do you think criminals would disappear from our streets?

It has really opened my eyes that gun owners are an EXTREMELY diverse group ranging across classes of people that you would not typically expect to own guns.
    Good for you. Extremely diverse....classes of people.........what WHO should typically expect? Start subscribing to the big picture, and you won't be surprised as much. Welcome everyone you meet into the collective team effort, and show them what it means in the big picture. We're a team...we have to be, or else we'll all be hiding from each other in secrecy, and dying alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Hey HotWing, you have to come to Tampa Bay area. One small motorhome Co. around here only keeps about a dozen units on hand. About half of them are used. The cheapest one I looked at was a mere $800K, used. Most were 1-3 million. None were Prevost's.
    You Can buy a Fleetwood or a winnie in that 40 range pusher

new for the price that price range I gave

[QUOTE=Carry4MyFam;1554909]Do you have a look like you want something but have no idea what it is.....you just want something but don't care what it is or how you get it?[/QUO

LOL

We've become friends since (and she got her carry license now too!) but she said it was because I was "trendy".
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    Do you turn your gun sideways just to screw with people?...lol

Yeah...it's hard to get away from the stereotypes. I'm a 5'7 Mexican and for some reason people can't help but ask me about their lawn or if I'm interested in laying some tile...
    I've shot my gun sideways to mess with some of my white friends before
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I always get weird looks at the range mostly due to my age. I've had people ask me where my parent/s were (since underage shooters must be accompanied by an adult). Those looks usually go away once I knock out the 5x on a standard silhouette target from 10-15 yards away with any of my glocks.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    I'm seeing & reading some scary stuff....
    I'm wit you^^^

lets put'em all on a watchlist !!JK

gun owners,,,,,,, The're just like us!!!

Blaise Pascal:
    Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    What does a concealed carrier look like?
    One of these two people carries, the other doesn't, which one is which?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    What does a concealed carrier look like?
    One of these two people carries, the other doesn't, which one is which?
    wait I see a gun poking out of.... nevermind
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

left one?

Left....Nail is trimmed on her trigger finger!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Ok, I'm busted, that is me on the left.
    However, I'd bet most people who happened to see either of us, would ever suspect one would be carrying.
    My appearance might give me a slight edge in concealment, many people, non "gun types" especially,might never suspect a thing.
    I am a people watcher and I tend to look at other people in public, I think I've made a few here and there, and I know I've made a couple.
    To some extent we all profile others, it's just part of good SA, just remember that appearance is not always a true indicator. I also look at mannerisms and give-away actions, and always watch the hands.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links