Types of gun owners

Types of gun owners

This is a discussion on Types of gun owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It never ceases to amaze me how eclectic gun owners are. When you hear gun owner you think rural redneck, while this may be true ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Types of gun owners

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Types of gun owners

It never ceases to amaze me how eclectic gun owners are. When you hear gun owner you think rural redneck, while this may be true most of the time it's not always the case.

I was at the range the other day testing out my wife's new .40 cal when a group of clean cut, marine looking Hispanic gentlemen came out from one of the lines. They had all their own range bags and equipment, they looked like pro's. It took me a back as that mental disconnect didn't add up. It just goes to show that even I (as a gun owner) bought into the typical stereotypical gun owner which is far from true.

There have been other times where I've seen business men in a tie and slacks at the range, older African-American women, soccer mom looking types, pastors, openly homosexual people etc... I know and/or see all these people at the range and I never made the connection that there are more people out there that own guns then the typical rural redneck. It has really opened my eyes that gun owners are an EXTREMELY diverse group ranging across classes of people that you would not typically expect to own guns.

What do you think?

I get wide eyes all the time as an American of African descent.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how eclectic gun owners are. When you hear gun owner you think rural redneck, while this may be true most of the time it's not always the case.

I was at the range the other day testing out my wife's new .40 cal when a group of clean cut, marine looking Hispanic gentlemen came out from one of the lines. They had all their own range bags and equipment, they looked like pro's. It took me a back as that mental disconnect didn't add up. It just goes to show that even I (as a gun owner) bought into the typical stereotypical gun owner which is far from true.

There have been other times where I've seen business men in a tie and slacks at the range, older African-American women, soccer mom looking types, pastors, openly homosexual people etc... I know and/or see all these people at the range and I never made the connection that there are more people out there that own guns then the typical rural redneck. It has really opened my eyes that gun owners are an EXTREMELY diverse group ranging across classes of people that you would not typically expect to own guns.

What do you think?
    "Rural Redneck"? You've got to be kidding.

You need more range time :).

When I first became an MSF instructor, the other instructor and I (both newbies) were a bit intimidated by all the long haired, leather wearing, Harley riders at our first class. Turns out they were some of the most fun, interesting, and helpful nice guys and ladies we ever met. No matter what the arena, they come in all shapes and sizes.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Well, I'm black and I love guns. So I guess the whole stereotype of gun nuts kind of end with me and others like me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Pro2A,
    I assume you think of yourself as a rural redneck? If so, how would you describe said breed?
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Pro2A,
    I assume you think of yourself as a rural redneck? If so, how would you describe said breed?
    To be honest... most would probably see me as a young kid. I wear jeans and a hoodie most of the time... Unless I told you (or I was OCing) you probably would have no clue I owned guns.

Then I guess to answer your question.... I look at everyone as if they were gun owners.... All though....... my wife does refer to me as being part of that gun fanatic breed
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

All gun owners don't look like Rambo? Damn Brady campaign musta been lying again

Pro2A talks about stereotypical images of shooters and the mental surprise that comes when the shooter doesn't fit the existing notion.

My "aha" moment came about 10 years ago. A friend invited me to shoot at a members-only indoor range attached to a small gun shop. You entered the industrial-type building, and once in the lobby if you didn't have a card you rang the buzzer and waited for someone to buzz you in. As I was waiting, I saw two 60-ish, slightly hunched-over women shuffling out from the range. It was winter and both had heavy coats and babushkas on. I instantly assumed they must be the cleaning ladies... until I saw them both carrying ballistic nylon range bags! Just like the rest of us, they were there to shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Isn't America great??
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    "Rural Redneck"? You've got to be kidding.

That right funny, bubba.......

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    I get wide eyes all the time as an American of African descent.
    I know what you mean...
    I was at a range I used to frequent in Central Florida years ago, by WASP type individuals (me included).

One afternoon this black fellow came in...dressed like a rapper. He had two cases of guns...each case had 2-3 guns with lots of mags.

I watched him shoot while I was shooting...he did quite well. I was wondering what his gang affiliation was....

He was leaving about the same time I did. When he walked outside to his vehicle, it was a 42' motorhome...one of those $500,000 models.
    He was no gang member...I didn't pick that one very well. I started a conversation with him. He was a driver for some singing group and drove all over the country. He loved shooting, 2A, seemed very conservative in his views, and was quite a nice young man.

Book covers can be misleading...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    It's not the different ethnicities that catch me by surprise, it's the number of liberals I run into. Some happen to be pretty good friends of mine. None are what I'd consider rabid though.
    Stereotypes are a funny thing, especially when they turn out so wrong. My best bud is a black, liberal democrat that is a pro-life, single dad raising his son by himself. He owns/shoots guns and wants to start hunting. He won't admit to liking country music but I catch his radio stations tuned in sometimes. Yeah, stereotypes are a funny thing.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Isn't America great??
    and always interesting!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links