Defensive Carry banner

Types of gun owners

6K views 59 replies 45 participants last post by  Cold Warrior 
#1 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how eclectic gun owners are. When you hear gun owner you think rural *******, while this may be true most of the time it's not always the case.

I was at the range the other day testing out my wife's new .40 cal when a group of clean cut, marine looking Hispanic gentlemen came out from one of the lines. They had all their own range bags and equipment, they looked like pro's. It took me a back as that mental disconnect didn't add up. It just goes to show that even I (as a gun owner) bought into the typical stereotypical gun owner which is far from true.

There have been other times where I've seen business men in a tie and slacks at the range, older African-American women, soccer mom looking types, pastors, openly homosexual people etc... I know and/or see all these people at the range and I never made the connection that there are more people out there that own guns then the typical rural *******. It has really opened my eyes that gun owners are an EXTREMELY diverse group ranging across classes of people that you would not typically expect to own guns.

What do you think?

#13 ·
I know what you mean...:yup:
I was at a range I used to frequent in Central Florida years ago, by WASP type individuals (me included).

One afternoon this black fellow came in...dressed like a rapper. He had two cases of guns...each case had 2-3 guns with lots of mags.

I watched him shoot while I was shooting...he did quite well.:ticking: I was wondering what his gang affiliation was...:rofl::rolleyes:.

He was leaving about the same time I did. When he walked outside to his vehicle, it was a 42' motorhome...one of those $500,000 models.
He was no gang member...I didn't pick that one very well. I started a conversation with him. He was a driver for some singing group and drove all over the country. He loved shooting, 2A, seemed very conservative in his views, and was quite a nice young man.

Book covers can be misleading...:22a::ziplip:

#4 ·
You need more range time :).

When I first became an MSF instructor, the other instructor and I (both newbies) were a bit intimidated by all the long haired, leather wearing, Harley riders at our first class. Turns out they were some of the most fun, interesting, and helpful nice guys and ladies we ever met. No matter what the arena, they come in all shapes and sizes.

#6 ·
Pro2A,
I assume you think of yourself as a rural *******? If so, how would you describe said breed?

#8 ·
Then I guess to answer your question.... I look at everyone as if they were gun owners.... All though....... my wife does refer to me as being part of that gun fanatic breed :comeandgetsome:

#10 ·
Pro2A talks about stereotypical images of shooters and the mental surprise that comes when the shooter doesn't fit the existing notion.

My "aha" moment came about 10 years ago. A friend invited me to shoot at a members-only indoor range attached to a small gun shop. You entered the industrial-type building, and once in the lobby if you didn't have a card you rang the buzzer and waited for someone to buzz you in. As I was waiting, I saw two 60-ish, slightly hunched-over women shuffling out from the range. It was winter and both had heavy coats and babushkas on. I instantly assumed they must be the cleaning ladies... until I saw them both carrying ballistic nylon range bags! Just like the rest of us, they were there to shoot.

#14 ·
It's not the different ethnicities that catch me by surprise, it's the number of liberals I run into. Some happen to be pretty good friends of mine. None are what I'd consider rabid though.
Stereotypes are a funny thing, especially when they turn out so wrong. My best bud is a black, liberal democrat that is a pro-life, single dad raising his son by himself. He owns/shoots guns and wants to start hunting. He won't admit to liking country music but I catch his radio stations tuned in sometimes. Yeah, stereotypes are a funny thing. :wink:

#16 ·
I see all type and sorts at the range, and for the vast most part they are very nice and respectable.

#19 ·
I had someone tell me they'd NEVER think I'd have a gun and would have thought I was a liberal who voted for Obama. o_O I think females in general have a bit of a hard time in the 'gun culture', but no idea why I "look like I voted for Obama".

Uh, yeah.

#20 ·
Do you have a look like you want something but have no idea what it is.....you just want something but don't care what it is or how you get it?

#40 ·
I'm wit you^^^

lets put'em all on a watchlist !!JK

gun owners,,,,,,, The're just like us!!!

Blaise Pascal:
Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.

#23 ·
#24 ·
We probably all stereotype at some point due to the people we associate with and the place we live. I try not to do so, but sometimes I do.

Most people outside my state and area think we are shotgun totin' barefoot ******** because that is how the media portrays us.

Americans in general are a diverse group, but we all have some commonalities. Firearm ownership and shooting definitely can be one. We just don't advertise it all the time.

#26 ·
I think we are all victims of the media's portrayal of gun owners as gun toting ignorant ******* bumpkins or crazed militia types. While we know that the portrayal is not true, the medai has ben successful in at least influencing our subconcious reactions. The last thing they want is for gun owners to be seen in a positve light, it would upset their agenda. We are all "unlearning" every day. I admit to being embarassed sometimes by my initial reaction to people when they do not fit the "stereotype".

#27 ·
Being the head of the art department at a small community college I seem to fit the ultra left liberal stereotype (media induced BS).

The majority of my colleagues are antis that think our fearless leader will save the world, and they are fairly vocal about it too. I've learned to just keep my mouth shut.

We are in a rural area and more than once I have seen some of my students at the favorite shooting spot in the foothills. I am happy to say I have taken administrators as well as administrative assistants out for a nice day of shooting quite a few times.

#28 ·
I guess i never really bought into the stereotypes of gun owners and shooters. This is likely because i am a mix breed of sorts. I work in a white collar office all week and i am completely comfortable in that world. On the weekends I am a jeans a hoodie type of guy. I don't live in the city and often time that hoodie has a deer or something of that sort on it, oh and i almost always wear my hoyt camo hat when i go out. In the fall i live in camo everyweekend. I have a little ******* and a little city slicker in me among other things i guess.

#33 ·
My last 2 trips to the range have yielded this list.

2 young black males, gansta dress, renting guns and shooting

mother/daughter I think. YOunger had open toed shoes on.

husband and girlfriend/wife, teaching wife to shoot. I tried to help them on her low left grouping.

Older black male and girlfriend/wife.

2 hispanic males

3 LEO's 1 female, 2 male

random assortment of white guys ranging from mid twenties to about 60. The older guy had a SWEEEEET 1911 and was shooting the lights out with it. He had a stack of brass about ankle deep on the right side of the stall when I left! And a younger guy running shotgun and pistol drills on 2 lanes, I think he is one of the RSO's.

Me and my wife

It's and interesting mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.