Kids and guns...

Kids and guns...

This is a discussion on Kids and guns... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was at my brothers house today, and he has two young boys. My brother is a CCer himself and allows it in his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and guns...

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Kids and guns...

So I was at my brothers house today, and he has two young boys. My brother is a CCer himself and allows it in his house, his boys (6) & (2) are unstoppable when it comes to getting into things and they know full well that they are not to go in the cave, ( a closed off section of the basement with all the guns, ammo etc) without supervision or permission. The six year old has shot before, and is very respectable of firearms, though he has a tendency to want to grab for my gun when Im not looking. He's young and curious and I dont want to give the wrong idea of guns in general, though he needs to learn the idea that you dont reach for a person's gun PERIOD. He was doing this to me today, and I was tempted to grab his wrist and give him a stearn talking to, but Im not his dad. How would the rest of you go about doing this?

VIP Member
    I was about 6 or 7 when my grandfather caught me climbing up on a chair to reach a shotgun & rifle on the wall. The next day he and my dad took me out to a back part of the farm for a life lesson I have never forgotten.

My grandfather put a shell in the 16 guage and my father handed it to me. It was my dad's Remington 870 Wingmaster and I could barely hold it up. But I managed to pull the trigger.

A short while later I was done admiring the bright blue sky and white clouds of the day. My ears had quit ringing, but my shoulder was still numb. My dad pulled me up by the arm and dusted me off. I might have even cried a bit.

I'll always remember my grandfather taking a knee and holding my father's 870 and the talk he gave me. He said these guns were not toys and I had a choice to make. I could keep playing with my toy guns, or I could put them up and learn to shoot like a man. If I choose to shoot like a man, this is what a real gun can do.

Then he and my father helped me shoot a melon off an old bushel basket. Then my grandfather said, this is what man's guns do, and there is no playing around with them.

To this day, I have never forgotten that lesson. Nor did I ever again reach for those guns without permission.

Ape
    If your brother isn't willing to let you be the adult and keep them in line then I would advise avoiding spending time around his kids.
    That may sound a bit harsh but having kids being able to run roughshod over anything they want is a recipe for bad things no matter what the situation IMO.

But when it comes to guns it's an absolute must to have all adult eyes and ears open and ready for supervision as well as instuction!

And if they're willing to go for your gun while you're not looking then do you really think they wont be venturing into the "cave" where all the guns and ammo are? I would HIGHLY advise getting that locked up securely as well. :-/

I'd come down on him like a ton of bricks. Verbally of course. If his dad is too stupid to put a stop to it, then you have to. Before there is a problem.

Or, never go back there.

No need to overreact, or become his parent. So talk to the parent, work out how he wants his son treated in that scenario. If you don't like the parent's decision then visit less or disarm.
    Crime should be outlawed.

The kids need someone to tell them when they are out of line. I hope your brother has sense enough to keep his guns in in a safe. kids will get into any thing and with them grabbing for your gun proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    He was doing this to me today, and I was tempted to grab his wrist and give him a stearn talking to, but Im not his dad. How would the rest of you go about doing this?
    Do it! Some of the best gun safety advice I ever got and listened to came from my uncle. It was simple and to the point, "Unloaded guns kill people." I can't tell you anything my dad ever told me. But I remember that. Sometimes they need to be told by somebody they respect that is not a parent.

I also like the idea I got from the Cornered Cat site.
    My daughter was messing with my gun on my hip the other day. I stopped her immediately, but offered to unload it and let her see it if she wanted to look at it. Tell them they cannot touch a gun that you are carrying, but offer to clear it and show it to them if it is OK with mom and dad. Basically, do not touch a firearm without an adult but they are allowed to ask to see them. Then ASAP, sit down with them to show them. Here is the kids and guns section.

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

evo
    I don't care who it is. If somebody goes for MY gun (on MY body) there's going to be trouble.

I was told not to touch a guy's hat because it would get me in trouble...
    Tell your kids no when they are out of line.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    I don't care who it is. If somebody goes for MY gun (on MY body) there's going to be trouble.

I was told not to touch a guy's hat because it would get me in trouble...
    Tell your kids no when they are out of line.
    Yep, "MINE, DON'T TOUCH"
    Sorry but if the parents aren't smart enough to teach their children, unfortunately others will have to do the job for them.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

What if he were grabbing for a sharp knife? Would you wait for the father to speak up?

My gun, and he would clearly understand not to grab for it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    his boys (6) & (2) are unstoppable when it comes to getting into things and they know full well that they are not to go in the cave, ( a closed off section of the basement with all the guns, ammo etc) without supervision or permission.
    I'd still like to know more about this part.
    Are you saying this section of the house is simply off limits to the very curious kids? Or is it secured with locks and the like?

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    The area in question where all the weapons are stored are in a safe, the ammo isnt. I think the problem, is that he fears his dad more than me, the way its supposed to be, I guess I should start putting up boundaries for whats acceptable, or do what CTR did and let him shoot it. Get the point across that
    .45 ACP means business.

Ape
    I would highly reccomend talking to their Dad (your brother) about getting more involved with teaching them. And at the same time make sure he's OK with you standing up and giving them some dicipline and territory boundries as well.

I'd also talk to your brother about locking up the ammo. That can be almost as dangerous to a kid as having the gun also being accessable. :-/

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Since he was attemping to touch your weapon, I would say it is your responsibility to talk to him. Tell your brother about it later so he can follow up and knows what happened. If my child was trying touch someones weapon without permission I would expect the adult to handle it and I would definitely want to know about it afterward.

Kids are curious, there is no way around that. When I was between 10 and 12 years old I got curious about a locked closet in a house my parents had rented for a two-week vacation. It took over 2 days and various lockpick-type inventions, but I got in and got to play with a pump BB-gun I found in there.

The way to kill curiosity is to saturate. Your brother needs to make his guns accessible to his kids ANY AND EVERY time they ask. The key is that they have to ask. His son is going to ask often at first, then he'll get bored with it and move on to something else.

My son was inquisitive at first, but my gun is constantly on my person and he stopped asking about it long ago (he's 4 years old right now). I don't even wait for him to ask, if he even shows interest in it I pull it out, unchamber it, and let him see it. I reinforce the available rules of safety by letting him know never to point it and not to touch the trigger and when the entire session is done, I ask him the same questions:

"Tyler, what is this?"

"Daddy's gun."

"And what do you do if you ever see a gun lying around that's not yours (meaning his toys)?"

"I tell Mommy, Daddy, or PawPaw." (Chinese for grandma)

"Do you touch it?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because its dangerous."

I've tested him a few times by leaving an old plastic toy-gun around that's not his, and while sometimes he's failed to inform us and just ignored it and left it there untouched because he's more interested in whatever it is he's doing, he's never touched it which is good enough for me for now.

Your brother really needs to kill this curiosity, and locking the guns up in the basement isn't doing that at all.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links