Ammo Storage

This is a discussion on Ammo Storage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over the last several years I have been purchasing ammo when I find it cheap or at least reasonably priced. I now have a bunch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage

Ammo Storage

Over the last several years I have been purchasing ammo when I find it cheap or at least reasonably priced. I now have a bunch of it in several different calibers stacked on top of the gun safe and on a table in the basement. Question for anyone; how do you safely store your surplus ammo?

Genghis

2. Remove Ads

I just stack it on my reloading bench stored in factory or plastic MTM Case Guard boxes.

Surplus ammo cans, stored out of sunlight and extreme temperatures.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Put desiccant packs (thanks ramrod, my half-times kicked in) inside can as well. They gave me about 300 at CVS.
    Last edited by Passin' Through; March 28th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Surplus ammo cans, stored out of sunlight and extreme temperatures.
    Likewise here....the surplus ammo cans. I make sure they seal well and the rubber gasket is intact. Was paying $5-$6 each for the normal size, but this week, my supplier jumped it up to $8 each (just when I was needing some more wouldn't you know). I also throw in those desiccant packs that come in small electronic devices, or vitamin/supplement bottles and such. Throw a couple of them in each can. Have access to plenty of them from work as throw away items, and the occasional purchase items. Small pieces of sheetrock work as well. I try to keep my cans separated by caliber, and long gun, pistol, and shotgun ammo. For the life of me, I don't think I'll ever get it straightened out since I end up using whatever space is available for whatever fits.

AzB
    I shot some old ammo a couple weeks ago. I had some 9mm from WW2 and some 9mm from the Spanish Civil war. They fired fine. I did have a couple of FTE problems with the Spanish Civil war stuff, but the powder went bang and the projectiles went pretty much where they were supposed to. They had been stored in a hot attic in the deep south for over 30 years.

I don't really worry about it too much.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Surplus ammo cans work the best. be sure the seal is intact.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Things to consider:
    Local codes as to amount of ammo that can be stored in a dwelling (some areas do have restrictions). Has a lot to do with responder safety in case of fire. Give your local FD a call and ask.

How much ammo are you storing? I know everyone like metal ammo cans, but wooden ammo containers are safer in case of fire. Yeah, wood burns eventually, but the ammo cans will transfer heat much more rapidly and explode before the wood burns through, and wood shards aren't nearly as deadly as metal ones.

Or an insulated, fire-rated safe.

Other than that, as long as the ammo isn't exposed to long term high heat and H2O, it should last a long time (a really long time).
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd like to throw in, if you're loading your own rounds it's prudent to label what load you used. I've heard horror stories of unknowingly throwing a hot load into a gun not designed for it.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I shot some old ammo a couple weeks ago. I had some 9mm from WW2 and some 9mm from the Spanish Civil war. They fired fine. I did have a couple of FTE problems with the Spanish Civil war stuff, but the powder went bang and the projectiles went pretty much where they were supposed to. They had been stored in a hot attic in the deep south for over 30 years.

I don't really worry about it too much.
    not intending to high jack the thread, but I hope those older rounds were using non-corrosive primers......

just something to consider

surv

as for ammo storage...most of mine is just stacked (what little there is) on shelves, in cabinets, or on top of file cabinets with room air pleasantly circulating around them

Mil-surplus ammo cans and MTM Dry-Boxes.....each with a 40gm. silica gel pack.....
    I separate by caliber and bullet type (ie., FMJ vs JHP)....the Dry-Boxes get the FMJ...the Mil-surplus get the JHP.....
    9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP for handguns....one "large" Dry-Box for 12ga 2- 3/4" 9 pellet 00 Buckshot....
    And one "lonely" .50cal. box of "miscellaneous" .38Spl., .357 Magnum, and some old Lake City 7.62.....
    Hope this lasts me awhile.....

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I find a trip to the range is a good way to help with any storage issues.

Like most of you guys, I use the steel surplus boxes. Only have two boxes (two fire arms) 9mm and 12ga. No such thing as too much ammo as ammunition may be the currency of tomorrow ;)
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I find a trip to the range is a good way to help with any storage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    not intending to high jack the thread, but I hope those older rounds were using non-corrosive primers......

just something to consider
    Yes, that ammo was from a time where the powder used was corrosive.

All guns involved were thoroughly cleaned afterwards.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Same as you. On a table, on top of the safe, some shelving next to the safe. Nothing special.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links