I am looking for some cheap fun!

This is a discussion on I am looking for some cheap fun! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at buying a .22 target revolver. I think i am between a Taurus model 94, and a S&W 617-2. The smith is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am looking for some cheap fun!

I am looking for some cheap fun!

I am looking at buying a .22 target revolver. I think i am between a Taurus model 94, and a S&W 617-2. The smith is almost twice the price, I am not sure that a S&W revolver is twice the gun compared to a Taurus revolver. any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I am looking at buying a .22 target revolver. I think i am between a Taurus model 94, and a S&W 617-2. The smith is almost twice the price, I am not sure that a S&W revolver is twice the gun compared to a Taurus revolver. any ideas?
    Since .22s don't beat the heck out of guns like centerfires do, I would open up my mind to the used market. Over the past 2 years, I found a S+W M63 (J-frame 4", stainless) and an M17 (K-22 Masterpiece) each for under $400 via on-line auctions.

I like the Taurus 94, but if S&W is what you want, definitely consider used.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No experience with your specific models. I do have several S&W and Taurus revolvers though, personally I prefer the Taurus trigger-though I think the smith's finishes are nicer. If you're looking for cheap fun, I'd have to go with the Taurus if the smith is that much more.

I have a stainless Taurus 94, it's a nice little gun-not fantastic, but nice. The action is not as smooth as a S&W, but it was half the price and I was just wanting a plinker, not a target pistol.

I also have the Taurus model 94 with the 2" barrel... heavy trigger with DA but smooth with SA. Good ejection of spent brass when done shooting the 9 rounds. And with Taurus lifetime transferable warrenty, you cannot go wrong. Bunker

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    What a misleading thread title.

Ruger revolvers

Miller,
    is single action an option for you? Ruger makes some single action revolvers in .22lr and .22 mag.
    You can also find Ruger DA revolvers used.
    Of course, if you are willing to go auto, there's the Mark III pistols. Great fun!
    Attached Images

Forget the revolvers. Buy a Buckmark auto. You don't want to be standing there trying to load those small rounds into a revolver believe me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Whut? Again?

(sorry, tagline from an old joke)

While I can certainly be fun, I don't come cheap.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I was thinking revolver because i don't own any except for a S&W 642. I would be up for a SAO if i could find one that held more than 6 rounds. I am not set on a revolver I need to go to the store and hold different ones. The 617 is nice, but $900 new, and not many used options out there. $900 would buy two Glocks or a new springer 1911. might just end up with another auto.22? from what I've read all the .22 autos have a common complaint or two. Either take down or "as accurate as you'd expect" I want to shoot 50-100 yards so accuracy would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    I was thinking revolver because i don't own any except for a S&W 642. I would be up for a SAO if i could find one that held more than 6 rounds. I am not set on a revolver I need to go to the store and hold different ones. The 617 is nice, but $900 new, and not many used options out there. $900 would buy two Glocks or a new springer 1911. might just end up with another auto.22? from what I've read all the .22 autos have a common complaint or two. Either take down or "as accurate as you'd expect" I want to shoot 50-100 yards so accuracy would be nice.
    the ruger mark series has the PITA take down but i would imagine easily meets your 50-100 yard accuracy requirement especially with the longer barrels. On the bright side even though the Mark series is a PITA to take down it really doesn't need to be cleaned all that much i believe mine is on 1500+ since its last cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Miller,
    is single action an option for you? Ruger makes some single action revolvers in .22lr and .22 mag.
    You can also find Ruger DA revolvers used.
    Of course, if you are willing to go auto, there's the Mark III pistols. Great fun!
    This is a great 'cowboy style' revolver, and being able to shoot both .22LR and .22Mag is a real plus.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    the ruger mark series has the PITA take down but i would imagine easily meets your 50-100 yard accuracy requirement especially with the longer barrels. On the bright side even though the Mark series is a PITA to take down it really doesn't need to be cleaned all that much i believe mine is on 1500+ since its last cleaning
    They don't have to be, see here:
    Speed Strip Kit
    I'll be getting one for mine.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

"might just end up with another auto.22? from what I've read all the .22 autos have a common complaint or two."

.22lr ammo tends to be less reliable than centerfire and any .22 autoloader will be somewhat finiky about which ammo it shoots well. A factor, yes, but not a big deal. Trust me, they are worth the trouble because they are so much fun to shoot, so cheap to shoot, and great training as well.

I can pretty much garantee you the Ruger Mark pistols will not disapoint you. You can get a basic model for $300 or spend a little more and get a Target or Hunter model. I have one and I love it and plan on buying another.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links