Handling an AD/ND

Handling an AD/ND

This is a discussion on Handling an AD/ND within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets say you are unloading your gun to clean it and you have an AD for whatever reason and shoot a hole in the ceiling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling an AD/ND

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Handling an AD/ND

Lets say you are unloading your gun to clean it and you have an AD for whatever reason and shoot a hole in the ceiling etc...

How do you handle that? Do you call the local LEO to report it or let it slide?

Administrator
    Why would you report it?

I'd find out the extent of the damage and fix it.

Then I'd put my guns away, and write out the rules of gun safety until I ran out of paper or ink.

Then I'd post about it here and take my cyber beating like a man.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Lets say you are unloading your gun to clean it and you have an AD for whatever reason and shoot a hole in the ceiling etc...

I can fix a hole in the ceiling. I'm not sure I could fix me if I had a ND. I'm not calling a repairman, a counselor, or the police. I'd be too embarrassed and cleaning up a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

It depends who lives up stairs...

But seriously... I guess it depends on where you live. Are you in an apartment? A cabin on 50 acres? Mom's basement? The setting depends a lot on what happens as far as I am concerned.

Well, when I was 12, I was playing with my bow and shot an arrow through my parent's ceiling. I fixed it with tissue, white-out, and tooth paste. They never knew until I was about 30 and was visiting one day and told them about it. The moral of the story is, well, don't be a 12 year old and you won't have to worry about it! haha
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why would you report it?

Then I'd put my guns away, and write out the rules of gun safety until I ran out of paper or ink.

I like SIXTOS response. If the LEO's show up at your door because the neighbors reported gunshots, then you can explain to them what had happened. Otherwise, let it "slide" and take your "cyber beating" from all of us for being an idiot.

Oh, and there is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge.

I agree with sixto. If nobody has been injured and neighbors didn't call the cops I'd just keep my mouth shut. I'd say the embarrassment is punishment enough in that particular case don't you think?

OP: Hello, 911, I just shot a hole in my ceiling.
    911: What is your address? Name? We'll send a Unit right over.
    OP: Thanks.
    Unit Arrives: Where is the weapon? Was anyone hurt? You are under arrest for discharging a weapon within XXX feet of a residence, also reckless endangerment. Can you make bale?

I'd keep my mouth shut!!!

I'd beat myself up more than anyone else. I'd be rattled for sure. If I was home alone, I'd just fix it and try to analyze my error to make sure I learned from it as to not repeat it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

What, you guys would take the cyber beating?

I'd be doing the 3 S's... shoot, spackle, SHUT UP!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I had a 1911 45 that discharged after falling outta my holster in the bathroom,There is a hole in the tile to remind me every day,I got a nick from shrapnel and cleaned what was left of the slug outta the bathtub.The only one besides me heard it was my dog and I'm pretty sure she can't talk,then years ago there was this model 19 snubnose loaded with 158 grain hollowpoints and a 19" color TV,I found a new way to turn a TV off but it's really loud and you can't turn it back on even with the remote
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

After the shotgun blast you run inside to hide and peek out the windows to see if the neighbors heard it or the police come. After about 15 minutes go about your business as normal. A couple months later you nearly shoot your foot off with the same shotgun. Then you do what no kid wants to do. Give it back to your dad before you kill yourself or someone else. Who puts the lever to open the barrel right beside, and similar shape to, the cocked trigger. Grabbing the lever and pulling the trigger does not let the hammer down easy.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I had a 1911 45 that discharged after falling outta my holster in the bathroom,There is a hole in the tile to remind me every day,I got a nick from shrapnel and cleaned what was left of the slug outta the bathtub.The only one besides me heard it was my dog and I'm pretty sure she can't talk,then years ago there was this model 19 snubnose loaded with 158 grain hollowpoints and a 19" color TV,I found a new way to turn a TV off but it's really loud and you can't turn it back on even with the remote
    Didnt like that show eh? Maybe you should stay home from the movies... wouldnt want you upset that your favorite actor just got killed by the BG!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    It depends who lives up stairs...

But seriously... I guess it depends on where you live. Are you in an apartment? A cabin on 50 acres? Mom's basement? The setting depends a lot on what happens as far as I am concerned.
    I live in town in a row of townhouses separated every 2nd or 3rd house... so someone would hear it.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why would you report it?

May I say SIXTO, you are wise beyond your years........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links