Sharing the Wealth?

Sharing the Wealth?

This is a discussion on Sharing the Wealth? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure this is the place for this, but here goes. I've been wondering if anyone out there with enough land and the envious ability ...

Thread: Sharing the Wealth?

Sharing the Wealth?

Not sure this is the place for this, but here goes.

I've been wondering if anyone out there with enough land and the envious ability to target shoot on their land, has extended the opportunity to friends, forum members, etc.? (Liability issues notwithstanding)

I'd be willing to pay going range rates for the opportunity.

Anyway, anyone out there ever do this, and if so, anyone in South Central Florida?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Never let people shoot on my land when I wasn't there. If I was there I'd bring friends up to go shooting. It's a bit of a hike up to where the old telephone poles used to be, but where they used to run is nice and clear. Perfect for rifle shooting over 100 yards. Down by the camp we'd set up paper targets, or bottles and what not-but there's not more than a 100 yards or so of shooting distance-hence going up to the old poles for anything more than that.

Now that I don't live in Vermont I don't even get to go shooting there, been two years since I've been up to the camp. Sure do miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    Never let people shoot on my land when I wasn't there.
    Same here, itís just not worth the hassle. Besides the liability issues, thereís also the zoning to consider. Here I can do as I please on my land, but if what Iím doing can be considered to be any type of club activity or any cash changes hands, I have to get a ďspecial use permitĒ. That opens me up to an environmental impact study and thereís no way I want to go there.

Just today Iím reminded of why I want/will to be present. I let a good friend of mine, his daughter and his neighbor shoot while I was doing some work. My friend has shot out at my place numerous times but always with me. I explained to him, not to shoot the steel closer than 150 yards with 5.56, everything else heís familiar with. All my steel targets are AR500 Armor plate, good for 7.62 at 100 and 5.56 at 150 yards.

Later I see them popping away at steel at about 60 yards with an AR and SIG 556. Sure enough, I now own dimpled AR500 Armor plate and my soft steel target that we use for pistol and black powder cartridge guns now looks like Swiss cheese. Seems they set up on my 150 yard marker, not realizing that it meant 150 yards from the bench, not the back stop.

The bottom line is I own the place, my homeowners insurance covers me, family and guests and I ďownĒ every projectile that originates from my place. Better safe than sorry.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

It's cheaper and safer to do your shooting at a range than on your property. They have the insurance, and the problems should there be an incident.

Cheaper I agree whole heartily with, safer I dunno.

Between mortgage payments, earthwork, gravel and targets itís definitely cheaper to belong to a club.

But since I built my place I have yet to find some chucklehead fiddling with his gun while Iím downrange posting my target. I also get to do what I want to, when I want to, which is a great deal of freedom I never had at a public range or the club I belonged to.

The guys practicing IDPA:

View from my bench at 200 Meters:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Nice set up.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Cheaper I agree whole heartily with, safer I dunno.

Between mortgage payments, earthwork, gravel and targets itís definitely cheaper to belong to a club.

But since I built my place I have yet to find some chucklehead fiddling with his gun while Iím downrange posting my target. I also get to do what I want to, when I want to, which is a great deal of freedom I never had at a public range or the club I belonged to.

The guys practicing IDPA:

View from my bench at 200 Meters:

Chuck
    God I envy you! I hope you know how lucky you are.
    Enjoy it while you can.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Sponsored Links