Taurus Judge,Opinions?

This is a discussion on Taurus Judge,Opinions? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I notice Taurus has a newer version with shorter barrel and bobbed hammer,the 4510? I believe? Do any of you own a judge,old or new? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge,Opinions?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Taurus Judge,Opinions?

I notice Taurus has a newer version with shorter barrel and bobbed hammer,the 4510? I believe? Do any of you own a judge,old or new? Dependable? How does it shoot?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    They often have issues with Timing after any real use.

Taurus QC is a bit lacking. If you get a good one, you will get a decent weapon. If you don't....

Their Customer service department seems to have been trained by H&K. (Because you suck, and we hate you)

THe rifling in the barrel will cause a doughnut style shot spread.

3 32 caliber balls do not equal 3 32 caliber bullets. The ballistic coefficient of the buck is less ideal. Same would go for slugs really.

45lc is a very decent round, especially if you reload to cut some of the cost however.

Bottom line. In my opinion. This would be a nice trail gun for snakes or whatnot, other than that it is a range toy only weapon, that I personally wouldn't use as a first line of defense.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

OMO, but not a carry gun, nor much of a HD/SD weapon.
    Perfect for snakes though...
    It's one of those gotta' have, fun guns, again, OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It has lots of fans...and has the potential to be a devastating HD and Car gun, but I dont think I would depend on it for a CC weapon. Kind of a niche market that taurus is dominating right now since nobody else has bothered to offer competition. They have a bit of a novely gun feel to them also, and they are a Taurus so there have been questionable QC attached to their products before. YMMV
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

A novelty item, it is not to be taken seriously unless one wants to be sucked in by hype rather than any potential for devastation. There is no crying need for .410 revolvers but it sounds cool to many. Hence the niche market.

The serious shooter will choose a proper .45 Colt revolver and leave the .410 chambers for the shotguns.

I think it's nice for out on the trail. The .45lc is powerful enough to take down any of the teeny bears around me. Not that I'd have to as they all seem to be shells of their species. While the .410 is nice for snakes, having grown up in an area without poisonous snakes they're a fairly large concern for me until I learn which species are safe. I realize it won't prevent me from getting bit if I'm not careful, but if I do get bit I wanna be damn sure I can take the venomous ******* with me.

But yeah, overall it's lacking in serious accuracy, it's overall much more of a range gun than something I'd use every day. It's also not tiny, so anything other than OC is pretty much not any option for carry. Kinda fun to own if you have the spare money.

yep. ill jump on the bandwagon and say its a good trail gun. i probably wouldnt use it for much else, but who knows. i dont have one.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I'd rather have a dedicated .45LC instead of a gimmick.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Thanks for the input.

Get a Ruger SP101 .357 if you want a good SD revolver. Toss a bianchi strip of .38 snake shot shells in your pocket and you've got a snake gun. If you're out in the yard/barn/field/trail, load a snake shot round in the next upcoming chamber and the rest SD rounds (or put the snake round in the last chamber and rotate the cylinder if you need it for a snake).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Another opportunity for Judge bashing. I've got 2 of them so I know a bit about them. Here's some thoughts:
    - It does a number of things pretty good but nothing well
    - Not a bad trail gun, as mentioned, or field gun particularly while hunting in warm seasons
    - As a car gun I believe very effective
    - As a CC gun....no way
    - For fun, it's a blast
    - Shooting clays with it is a hoot
    - I hunt in areas that have both rattlesnakes and pigs so I load accordingly. It's versatile.
    - Carried cross draw (to keep from banging rifle stock) is pretty comfortable but if you cover a lot of ground in the morning you become aware of the weight. Even with the lightweight model.

The new...Public Defender I think it's called? I checked it out and there is one aspect that's very concerning. The bobbed hammer and spring tension makes me think there will be some AD's while lowering the hammer. It's very stiff. And, I believe the barrel is shorter than the original Judge and I wouldn't call that an improvement.

So it has funtion as well as being fun. And it's a personal choice in terms of how you spend your money so the teeth gnashing Judge bashers should stay at home. Go beat up on Glock or everything that's not a Glock.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

You know what? My apologies for bashing the Judge bashers. He did ask of opinons. My error. Opine away.
    Savage Heartland

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    You know what? My apologies for bashing the Judge bashers.
    Don't apologize. Most of the Judge bashers have never owned one, fired one, or even held one.
    I'm considering one as a bedside gun, 410 only.
    I like reading the comments, but I prefer them from qualified owners over the usual, "Judge sux, get a Glock." crowd.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    You you really like the concept the old Judge is really just a copy of the old Thunder 5s.

MIL Inc Thunder Five Revolver 45LC 410 ga NICE! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Which from what I understand were better guns, but still a failed marketing ploy in the end.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Guns and more, thanks for the back up. I don't own a Glock, never shot one, only opinion is that I think I'd like to. Normally I don't share that since the statement has little to no value. I would feel a bit stupid talking smack about something I don't understand. But....we're all different. As for a bedside gun w/Federal 4 ball....it'd clear a room pretty quickly.

Shadowsbane, I think the problem with the Thunder was....it was just butt ugly. Now, the Judge will never win a beauty contest. Mine don't really get me "sexed up" when I pull them out of the safe. But Taurus did a good job somehow on the marketing. I'm not a natural Taurus fan but I own two of them so there you go.
    Savage Heartland

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links