Today I did it!

This is a discussion on Today I did it! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats on the first steps. There are a few red flags in your post though. I'll just say this; be very careful who you "train" ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I did it!

Administrator
    Congrats on the first steps. There are a few red flags in your post though. I'll just say this; be very careful who you "train" with. I suggest seeking professional instruction to at least get you started right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Im glad you found a gun that works for you! my friends wife just got a ruger LCP in .380 and she likes it too.

I hope your situation goes better as well!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

May those pieces of paper at the end of the lane bring you many more years of joy!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Great to hear another person get excited about being at the range. I didn't see in your original post what type of gun you have...Also remember one major thing about making these types of posts, if you don't have pics it didn't happen...lol
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Congrats on your range experience.
    By the way, what kind of gun do you have?
    .380 Llama (See post #5)....

I am trying to upload the pictures of my first target and my gun.....i hope i did it right.

Also i was so proud that.....the target is hung up beside my bed....to remind me how exciting it was..
    Attached Images

Good shooting. Congrats and welcome to the "gun culture."

My LLama .38 super only reliably feeds fully jacketed ammo (FMJ), as do many lesser 1911 type pistols. I had a llama 9mm that was the same way, yours may be different. Make sure you test the ammo you are planning to load it with for self defense. Don't use any ammo that will not reliably feed. Though FMJ is not the most effective, if that is all it will feed with 100% reliability, use it. IMO, holes made in the target ( be it man or paper) with FMJ beats a jammed up gun everytime.

Good luck and keep practicing.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Good luck, and I second what SIXTO said - having spent a decade in the Marine Corps, and all of that time in combat arms including the last 3 as a "Combat Instructor" -----I can tell you that the VAST VAST majority of military folks learn nothing more than the absolute basics of firearms handling. Even those of us that did, the VAST majority of that training was on rifles and machine guns, or larger guns.

-Best bet is to find a law enforcement fire arms trainer or proffesional hand gun trainer. I love my military brothers and sisters, but some of the dumb things I see them do from time to time.......
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    - having spent a decade in the Marine Corps, and all of that time in combat arms including the last 3 as a "Combat Instructor" -----I can tell you that the VAST VAST majority of military folks learn nothing more than the absolute basics of firearms handling.
    hey, Hey, HEY... Was that an Air Wing Joke?

Btw... I couldn't agree more!

Just bustin' your chops Mac! Semper Fi
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member

+1 Sixto Red FLAGS

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Congrats on the first steps. There are a few red flags in your post though. I'll just say this; be very careful who you "train" with. I suggest seeking professional instruction to at least get you started right.
    This statement by the OP caught my attention:

It was a bullseye type of target and from about 10 meters away every bullet hit the paper, and only one of them was out of the circle, and two of them were in the 10.......the man that was nice enough to show me how to break it down, said i did good, and told me that if i needed to kill someone i was definitely skilled enough..."
    I want to repeat Sixto's admonishment that you be careful whom you train with. Loose use of the phrase, "kill someone" can come back to haunt you.

Guns are used in our civilian world to stop threats to our lives, and not to kill. This may seem like a semantic point, but it isn't. It can at some point in your life mean the difference between a justified use of lethal force and a conviction for homicide. Your intent when using a gun is never to kill, but to stop a threat. Burn that term into your psyche and your memory. It makes a big deal difference.

Very good. I just got back from the range with my wife. We have been going at lease bi weekly since January. She had the best shooting day so far today. She shot the Mark II .22, Glock 19, and her 12 ga shotgun. She's getting to the point of giving me a run for my money on the .22! She loaded, racked, and fired off 4 rds with the shotgun with no help from me. Even had good form, ie not leaning back. About the only thing I do is load the mags for her now. A reasonable amount of practice can get you shooting well. And your shooting looks very good for a first trip BTW. At some point soon I want to try to get my wife to pick up the speed of the shots a bit. But one thing at a time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Glad to hear the excitement in your post as well. Anyone want to bet we have a future 1911 addict in the making? I've got no experience with the Llama but it looks a whole lot like a 1911. Keep shooting...get some good training and just enjoy.

Congrats from another polite armed lady...
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This absolutely.

Google "Pennsylvania firearms instructors" and you will get a list of trainers in your state. There's the F.I.R.E. institute in Pittsburg and some CCW trainers in Philly. I'm also pretty sure that some of the members here can steer you towards someone local to you as well.

The biggest thing is to GET TRAINING! Training on YOUR weapon - how to operate it, clean it, fix it when it jams while shooting, etc. Also training on tactics - when to shoot, when NOT to shoot, when to scram, etc.

You can take the training in steps as you have time and finances.

Thank you. Today i went and applied for my license to carry......i wasn't sure if i was supposed to go to my local police department or county courthouse so i called the local PD and they let me know where to go......

He asked me about my info...he said i sounded too young to own a gun, and i explained that i was a 27 year old mother with 3 kids at home alone at night, and after the recent uncomfortable situation, i wanted to be protected at home, and when i have the children by myself.....

He then told me that they would submit the application to them to run the background check....and when i went to the courthouse i mentioned that he took my info for the background check and the old lady at the counter told me that they don't submit it to the local branch ....so i was a little confused.

I also mentioned to the police officer if i could get like a paper or something with all our local and or state laws, and he said that they didn't have that there, and i would have to get it at the courthouse, and at the courthouse, they told me i get a paper telling me about it when i get my permit....and to contact the local gun club......but then she mentioned she wasn't sure if they shut down because she hasn't heard from them in a few months......

So on the way home.....i was thinking.....i know i seen a law or two on the website, but not to the extent i am looking to read....Like PA you need the license to carry in the vehicle or have it concealed but it is alright to just carry it publicly....if you choose to do so......on the site though it warned be prepared to be questioned have it taken and possibly charged for disturbing the peace and a few other things.....and it is going to take about 4 weeks to get approval....

The thing i don't quite understand is, shouldn't there be a handbook or guide to just pertaining to state and local laws, about owning in the home?

I know that there is links to check out about scenarios, but on the legal end not the moral or ethical end.....i really don't want to accidentally do something not knowing to have my kids taken....

It really was just a very confusing trip to the authorities....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links