Defensive Carry banner

Today I did it!

3K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  b1780 
#1 ·
My cousin has a license to carry, so he took me to a outdoor range. I was supposed to be trained by his buddy who trains the military, but somehow he got lost. Then a couple of his other friends showed up, and the one is also in the military. So there were two military men showing me how to shoot, but they didn't know how to tear my gun apart to put oil....and i asked another man that was shooting....(all of his guns were military issued.....) and he broke it down twice then showed me exactly what to do. I shot about 30 rounds, and learned range etiquette .....and then when it was said and done, my cousin put up one target just for me to work on my aim. It was a bullseye type of target and from about 10 meters away every bullet hit the paper, and only one of them was out of the circle, and two of them were in the 10.......the man that was nice enough to show me how to break it down, said i did good, and told me that if i needed to kill someone i was definitely skilled enough.....so i honestly feel like i accomplished something today. I didn't think i would hit the target that much, and i know that i was relatively close, but in my house, it was the perfect distance. I had a surge of anxiety before we got to the range, but after i shot the first bullet, i was good. I felt secure in my decision. I also felt like if there was ever a way to protect myself, and my children .....that was it.

I LOVE MY GUN! I tried my cousins, and it was way too big for me at my little skill level.....he said when i get more used to the kick back it won't be so bad......the other men that were shooting also let me hold their handguns to feel more difference than the ones at the store, and i strongly feel like it is MY perfect starter gun.....

Thank you everyone for your support and helping me feel secure enough to make such a huge decision. I am not done, and will be going to the range, not this weekend but the following weekend. And I can't wait!

~Tanya

See less See more
#35 ·
"The thing i don't quite understand is, shouldn't there be a handbook or guide to just pertaining to state and local laws, about owning in the home?

I know that there is links to check out about scenarios, but on the legal end not the moral or ethical end.....i really don't want to accidentally do something not knowing to have my kids taken....

It really was just a very confusing trip to the authorities...."

Tanya,
ask around about good firearms instructors. A good concealed weapons/firearms instructor will put you in touch with all the right information about your state and city laws.

Posting an inqury here about Pa instructors will probably get you some good input. The folks over at USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community are good too. Training from a good teacher in invaluable; seek it out.

Congratulations on your decision.
All the best,
CinSC

#36 ·
Yeah there are books and materials out there that will help you with this. That is why you must go to class and learn and qualify to have your fire arm with you, just like the rest of us had to. If you want to protect yourself and your family, then it is imperative that you do things by the book. Trying to rush this will only end up with you hurting yourself, your children or some inocent bystander. You must seek training before you carry! This is not negotiable. Having a firearm to carry is an imense responsibility and should be exercised with the utmost amount of care. GO GET THE PROPER TRAINING !!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.