UNC -- Gratuitous anti-gun propaganda

This is a discussion on UNC -- Gratuitous anti-gun propaganda within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came across the following gratuitous anti-gun propaganda in a handout from UNC. Fallacies What this handout is about This handout is on common logical fallacies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNC -- Gratuitous anti-gun propaganda

VIP Member

Thumbs down UNC -- Gratuitous anti-gun propaganda

Came across the following gratuitous anti-gun propaganda in a handout from UNC.

Fallacies

What this handout is about

This handout is on common logical fallacies that you may encounter in your own writing or the writing of others. The handout provides definitions, examples, and tips on avoiding these fallacies.

Weak analogy
    Definition: Many arguments rely on an analogy between two or more objects, ideas, or situations. If the two things that are being compared aren't really alike in the relevant respects, the analogy is a weak one, and the argument that relies on it commits the fallacy of weak analogy.

Example: "Guns are like hammers—they're both tools with metal parts that could be used to kill someone. And yet it would be ridiculous to restrict the purchase of hammers—so restrictions on purchasing guns are equally ridiculous." While guns and hammers do share certain features, these features (having metal parts, being tools, and being potentially useful for violence) are not the ones at stake in deciding whether to restrict guns. Rather, we restrict guns because they can easily be used to kill large numbers of people at a distance. This is a feature hammers do not share—it'd be hard to kill a crowd with a hammer. Thus, the analogy is weak, and so is the argument based on it.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The author is right. That is a weak analogy. Guns are unlike hammers in significant ways.

He may or may not be right about the reasons why guns have been restricted, but that is a different issue from the one of the weak analogy.

The offensive portion of the statement quoted revolves around use of guns to fire into crowds thus doing harm at a distance and in a mass manner. The logical and false implication from that statement is that since all guns might be used in such a manner, all guns will be used in such a manner, and therefore all restrictions are appropriate. That logic and conclusion are clearly, to us here anyway, not going to hold water.

What it boils down to is guns and hammers are exactly alike. They only become animate when we the people make them so. Otherwise, they will sit there in their toolbox, safe or wherever they are left. What the author refuses to face, as do many people in this world is that if we want a better world, we must first make better people. The easy, short term solution is just to control and regulate guns. The harder task is to just make better people.

So they will always tend to follow the easy path, because as my late Grandfather used to say "People are like water, they will be inclined to follow the path of least resistance. This is why we have crooked rivers and crooked men, son"........

So far, this generation is failing at that miserably......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I thought they used cars at UNC to take out crowds? Ah guns are like cars. No that's probably weak too.

Wait professors are like risk management speakers, the unknowing, teaching the unwilling, the unnecessary! Yeah, that's a good one!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Some guns are like hammers. Anybody up for another Hi Point thread? LOL.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    So glad my son goes to Appalachian. There they learn, if they don't already know, that one bangs nails with hammers and bangs caps with guns. Simple. If you're not a carpenter, stay away from hammers, and so on.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member

+1 Chiefjason

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post

Wait professors are like risk management speakers, the unknowing, teaching the unwilling, the unnecessary! Yeah, that's a good one!
    OT, but I like it.

Of course when I was a professor, I was the knowing, teaching the unwilling, the unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    What it boils down to is guns and hammers are exactly alike. They only become animate when we the people make them so. Otherwise, they will sit there in their toolbox, safe or wherever they are left. What the author refuses to face, as do many people in this world is that if we want a better world, we must first make better people. The easy, short term solution is just to control and regulate guns. The harder task is to just make better people.

Elderly people take out 'crowds' of people with their cars. Do we have to ban cars too? No! Just like edr9X23super said: cars, guns, yes even hammers become animate when people make them so.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

uahhh, gun are not hammers, hammers are blah blah blah. You guys better go look up critical thinking and propaganda in Wikipedia. You are making concessions that aren't appropriate. These guys are sneeky, sleezy with our rights. They are like intestinal worms, waiting for the change to make a change in your diet.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

So they don't teach the kids what a framing or roofing nailer is at UNC. They make multi-shot hammers out there. Hammers so powerful they've been known to over penetrate 2x4s and walls and end up in other humans. Utilize selective exclusion and compare those to a one shot musket and really makes you think that hammers ought to be banned. But that wouldn't happen because it's just a fallacy.

Go Duke!

Evil Orange gun:

That looks like a scary assuault nail gun! It has a drum mag like Al Capone's Thompson! Ban It!!!

This is the problem with sheeple going off to college without first having the ability to think for themself.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

That's par for the course. My Statistics course textbook is a flaming pile of lib garbage.

When guns kill more people in this country per year than alcohol, cigarettes or automobiles then we can debate them being inherently evil. Not a insult to people who drink, smoke or drive (preferably no drinking and driving though) as I've been known to do all three.

Similar topic, but when I took the SAT's I was one of the last years to get the analogy section. It has since been removed, and clearly the importance of analogies has been lost if this hand out is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Some guns are like hammers. Anybody up for another Hi Point thread? LOL.
    Technically that would fall under guns are like cordless drills, correct? Bulky, heavy, and both insert the important piece into the grip.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Sort of like, "liars figure and figures lie".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links