i have been told on here......

This is a discussion on i have been told on here...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mommytanya3 If i have questions...ask..... So one that is going through my head, and i haven't gotten a good answer from my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have been told on here......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommytanya3 View Post
    If i have questions...ask.....

So one that is going through my head, and i haven't gotten a good answer from my dad or cousin....

I have 5 boxes of bullets, one is a small box of hollow tips....i get the point of them and understand that they are different than the other 4 boxes.....

Two of the boxes, are just regular bullets bought at the gun shop ......then the guy that was supposed to train me gave me two boxes of military issued bullets.....is there anything special about them? Should i save them for home or are they alright to use for target practice?
    You might want to have a look at the attached link. It does not answer your question specifically but is a good read on gun basics and self defense written by a woman. Janis Cortese: Firearms and Self-Defense
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by delford View Post
    OldVet

It seems to me Stephen Hunter, the author who wrote Point of Impact which became the movie "Shooter", has a Colt .380 as a shoulder holster carried backup for the snipers in VietNam. Mr. Hunter is very thorough in his research. So it is possible the .380 has a mil-spec round.
    I doubt it. Many military members have carried their private firearms, especially in the officer ranks. But as "military issue" the .380 has never been a adopted for the service. Military handguns went from .38 S&W to .45 ACP to 9mm. Some special forces carry others but on a very limited nbasis.

And get out of my hometown. how dare you! ;-)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I doubt it. Many military members have carried their private firearms, especially in the officer ranks. But as "military issue" the .380 has never been a adopted for the service. Military handguns went from .38 S&W to .45 ACP to 9mm. Some special forces carry others but on a very limited nbasis.

And get out of my hometown. how dare you! ;-)
    Well a quick search tells me that the .380 was used for awhile by officers. The Colt 1903 was the pistol they issued. Not sure how accurate this is, as it is from Wikipedia and I'm to lazy to look for more. Regardless though, this pistol wasn't made much after the 1940's (I don't think) so any surplus ammo available would be of questionable reliability.

For the most part you're right though, it seems that any handgun that tried to stray to far from the currently acceptable caliber either had their production canceled or never issued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links