i have been told on here......

This is a discussion on i have been told on here...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If i have questions...ask..... So one that is going through my head, and i haven't gotten a good answer from my dad or cousin.... I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have been told on here......

i have been told on here......

If i have questions...ask.....

So one that is going through my head, and i haven't gotten a good answer from my dad or cousin....

I have 5 boxes of bullets, one is a small box of hollow tips....i get the point of them and understand that they are different than the other 4 boxes.....

Two of the boxes, are just regular bullets bought at the gun shop ......then the guy that was supposed to train me gave me two boxes of military issued bullets.....is there anything special about them? Should i save them for home or are they alright to use for target practice?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Use the FMJs (no exposed lead or hollow point) for practice, the HPs for defense.

I thought you had a .380 Llama? Mistaken?
    I don't know what kind of "military issue" would be in a .380 caliber as the US has never used that round in the military.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Use the FMJs (no exposed lead or hollow point) for practice, the HPs for defense.

If they will feed reliably. test them to be certain.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I thought you had a .380 Llama? Mistaken?
    I don't know what kind of "military issue" would be in a .380 caliber as the US has never used that round in the military.
    Yeah....that is what i have, i just know the guy handed them to me and told me they were military issue and i didn't know what that meant....

Administrator
    "military issue" is probably a reference to ball ammo. That is range stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

be careful with the "military issue" stuff - .380 is basically a shortened 9mm. 9mm is what the military uses. If you are shooting a .380, the 9mm may look like it fits, but it wont, and may damage the gun or hurt you. As I posted in another thread involving your current situation, be wary about what "military" friends are teaching you. An airforce administrative person will have a very different set of skills from an army ranger, or Marine infantryman - none of whom has probably had any real hand gun training. (maybe a little)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by mommytanya3 View Post
    I have 5 boxes of bullets, one is a small box of hollow tips....i get the point of them and understand that they are different than the other 4 boxes.
    So, what make, model and caliber of gun are we speaking of?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Look at the headstamp (on the bottom of the brass case) of the ammo you were given. If it doesn't say .380, then you've got some trading stock, or ammo to sell or trade. The 9mm and the .380 are very close to the same diameter, but the overall length will be obviously different. I'm guessin' that a 9mm cartridge won't even fit into your .380 magazine....... I don't own a .380, so I can't swear to that.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Most generally, people use some form of a hollow point bullet for self defense because if they work as designed, they will expand in their diameter inside the body causing a larger wound channel.

Now entire libraries have been written on the topic of wound ballistics, bullet design and performance, penetration and expansion, to the point where it literally boggles the mind.

The bottom line is, you generally want two things in a bullets performance.

First, you want Penetration. You want a bullet to penetrate deep enough into the body cavity to reach vital organs and be able to punch through obstacles like bone (ribs, etc) in order to reach those vital organs. Ideally, you also do not want over penetration where the bullet exits the body. That is just wasted energy, and you obviously want all the bullets energy expended inside the body doing maximum damage. Also any bullet which exits the body is a liability to striking another person, possibly an innocent bystander who is standing behind the target.

Second, you want Expansion. A hollow point bullet is designed, if it functions properly, to expand it's size inside the body. This creates a larger diameter wound which causes more damage to organs, tissue and blood vessels.

The goal is to stop the threat and end hostilities as rapidly as possible and shutting down the central nervous system and or inflicting serious damage and rapid blood loss is the quickest way to do that.

With pistols such as yours which uses the action or movement of the slide as the means to strip a bullet from the magazine and feed it into the chamber of the gun so it can be fired with each pull of the trigger, it is imperative that the bullet design with the ammunition you shoot works reliably without causing it to jam up and not be properly seated in the chamber of the gun.

These types of pistols are called auto loading pistols or semi-automatic pistols. After pulling the trigger and firing a bullet, the gun automatically loads a new round into the chamber in order to be fired using the method I described above.

Before you rely on hollow point ammunition to bet your life on, you need to ensure your gun is going to be able to feed that bullet into the chamber without malfunctioning and continue to do so to a point you are willing to bet your life that it's going to work all the time.

Therefore, you need to shoot that box of hollow point ammunition on the range during target practice and several other boxes of the same brand and type of bullet to ensure your gun is going to reliably feed that round. There is no set number of bullets needed to test and everyone has their own personal opinion. Some say 200-300 rounds, others say 500 rounds. Like life, nothing is certain or guaranteed and you are going to have to decide for yourself, how many rounds is sufficient that you are willing to stake your life on it.

Now each manufacturer will use different bullet designs in their hollow points so if you find your gun doesn't like one particular brand of ammunition or bullet design, you'll have to try another and find which one works best in your gun.

Also if you find your gun having problems with feeding hollow point bullets, a gunsmith can work on it to smooth things up and maybe have the chamber reworked a bit so that it will feed the ammo reliably. The term is often called a "throat and polish" job. They polish the feed ramp of the barrel to a smooth glass like mirrored surface so the bullets don't hang up and slide easier. Often that is all which is needed. Sometimes they will remove minute portions of steel around the chamber to bevel it slightly in order to help feed the bullets. That is the throat portion of the work.

By design, non-hollow point ammo such as full metal jacketed bullets (FMJ) or commonly called "hard ball" has a smooth tapered profile which allows more reliable feeding of the ammo as opposed to the sharp flat edge hollow point rounds.

They tend to feed more reliably than the hollow points, are cheaper to buy but you also sacrifice the bullet expansion you get and desire out of hollow points.

So I hope this helps explain a few things for you.

Bottom line is, you need to find out which bullets your gun will shoot reliably all the time and stick with that bullet for self defense.

Trust me, this is just a very basic overview of the topic. Again entire libraries have been written on the subject. You don't learn this over night either. I know you are eager, but if you stick around here, you'll definitely gain more knowledge as you go along.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

^^^ What Bark'n said ^^^

basically

Hollow points are better suited for self defense BUT you need to shoot enough to know your gun will feed and cycle them properly. The other ammo is designed for range or practice BUT can also be used for self defensive IF that's all you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Bottom line is, you need to find out which bullets your gun will shoot reliably all the time and stick with that bullet for self defense.
    This is the single most important thing to realize about a new gun and ammunition.

Until you have actually proven certain ammunition in your specific gun, you don't know that it's going to work reliable if it comes time that your life depends on it working perfectly.

For me, the only way I know for certain that a given gun and ammo is going to work is by having 1000 or more rounds of that ammo through a gun in which the reliability is exceptional. So long as that specific ammo continues to fail in my gun, then I've got to assume it's highly likely to fail when needed. (Makes sense, doesn't it?) Some are comfortable after just a couple hundred rounds. I'm not, really. But that's just me. The point is, as Bark'n said, you need to ensure your ammo works in your specific gun.

The boxes of ammo off the shelf are fine, as a starting point. If a revolver, then it's almost certainly going to work okay. If a semi-automatic pistol, though, some of them can be finicky with choice of ammunition. NOT all ammo of a given caliber is going to work in every gun of that caliber. (That's one of the little things the gun makers don't tell you, when you buy the gun.)

So. Penetration sufficient to get the job done; and dumping enough energy into the target to get the job done. Selecting whichever ammo and gun combination does that for you. Those three elements should be what you're striving to answer, when you're vetting a defensive firearm. My $0.02.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Like you've been told, don't carry "weird" stuff for self defense. If the caliber is right, then it'll make good practice ammo. But make sure that the gun you own likes the bullets you are feeding it. The only way to do that is to shoot those bullets a bunch (say, maybe, 200 rounds) and make sure that the gun functions well.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OldVet

It seems to me Stephen Hunter, the author who wrote Point of Impact which became the movie "Shooter", has a Colt .380 as a shoulder holster carried backup for the snipers in VietNam. Mr. Hunter is very thorough in his research. So it is possible the .380 has a mil-spec round.

Quote Originally Posted by mommytanya3 View Post
    If i have questions...ask.....

So one that is going through my head, and i haven't gotten a good answer from my dad or cousin....

I have 5 boxes of bullets, one is a small box of hollow tips....i get the point of them and understand that they are different than the other 4 boxes.....

Two of the boxes, are just regular bullets bought at the gun shop ......then the guy that was supposed to train me gave me two boxes of military issued bullets.....is there anything special about them? Should i save them for home or are they alright to use for target practice?
    If they are good enough for our men and women in the military, then they are good to go for you and me. I almost picked up several boxes of military issue 12ga 00 buckshot a couple of weeks ago at one of my local gun shops......but I was there for ammo cans and unsure of my financial layout for the week other than that. Maybe they will be there next week. If they are, I'll get some.

As JD has said before...9mm short and .380 ACP are the same (at least I believe he said it)..

Here's some info here if it helps: 9mm short/browning/corto/kurtz are all different names for the .380 ACP cartridge. The loadings are the same, with only the name being different. The same way that 7.65 Browning is the same as .32 ACP and 6.35 Browning is the same as .25 ACP. Browning designed guns for FN in Belgium at the turn of the last century. Since the original guns were made for the European market, they had metric designations. When these designs were built under contract here in the US by Colt, the names of the cartridges were changed to the English system. With the moniker Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP) added on to the end for advertising. So you ended up with different names for the same cartridge in different parts of the world. Many of these names have lingered because old guns marked for them still existed, and people were familiar with the names in their area.

If you are still unsure, get a 9mm Browning, corto or whatever it is, and compare it to your .380 cartridges. You will see that the case is identical. The bullet shape may vary a bit, but the diameter will be .355-.356".

In Europe the .380 Auto/9mm Short has at various times been an official military cartridge, and it is much favored by police agencies in many nations as a primary duty round. In the US it has always been seen as a minor-power backup load. And, compared to the 9mm, that's where it belongs

Better yet...read this: .380 ACP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links