Clean my gun outside?

This is a discussion on Clean my gun outside? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this - wasn't sure where it fit. Went trap shooting last night, was too lazy to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean my gun outside?

Clean my gun outside?

Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this - wasn't sure where it fit.

Went trap shooting last night, was too lazy to clean my shotgun when I got home. It's 80 here right now in Buffalo NY, and I wanna clean my gun out on my back porch in the nice weather. Not sure if it's legal to do so - can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    NY can be strange, but I couldnt imagine that being illegal. If you are worried, I'd at least break it down inside first.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do you live in a apartment, condo, or a single family home?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

nys is a pain, and so is my neighbor -which is why i wanted to double check. single fam home that i own.

If it's 80 in Buffalo, do something fun outside.Don't waste the weather.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

it is fun..well, at least relaxing. i'm gonna give it a go..if someone says anything I"ll just go inside. But I'm still looking for opinions...

Hard to say with you living in New York. I hope someone from Buffalo & New York State come in to answer it for you.

Here, it's legal to carry open and loaded on your property... period. So, it's definitely legal to clean a gun on your back porch.

Get some Gunzilla and clean it in the house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't know if I'd want the neighbors lookin' over the "merchandise". Just sayin'..
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

VIP Member
    Even though I live in Texas, and I have a moderately large lot for inside the city, and it is legal to OC on my own property, when I clean my guns or take them down outside, I do it in a location and manner that shields what I am doing from the view of either of my neighbors--neither of whom would mind, but I just don't want to advertise.

I do this all the time in summer...And I'm in MA.

As suggested by another, break it down first as inside.
    Remove the foreend and if easy the stock too inside then take outside in a bin your _metal parts_ and clean away...With a beer in hand.
    When complete reassemble your metal parts as inside to reform a firearm/gun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I wasn't sure what to think when I saw the title to this thread. Was it related to humidity/weather/rust?

This isn't meant to be a gratuitous comment, but it's sad that some of us should feel amazed that we can do something as innocent and legal as cleaning our gun on our own property while others have to worry. We've got a long way to go.

Boy howdy! When you've got to worry about where you clean your gun on your own property, then things truly have gone way too far. What's wrong with this country? I'll clean mine on the front porch if I want to. Always have a back up ready to go.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Boy howdy! When you've got to worry about where you clean your gun on your own property, then things truly have gone way too far. What's wrong with this country? I'll clean mine on the front porch if I want to. Always have a back up ready to go.
    ^^^^That^^^^, the new house has a 6 ft privacy fence and 10 foot tall bushes around the perimeter. I can't wait to be settled in.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking! Sad that in today's society, you even have to think about it.

In KS, you can do about anything on your own property, carry concealed w/o a permit also.

Discharge in city limits is illegal in my town, but it's like a $15 fine, and I've never known anyone to be ticketed, and it happens alot.

I live in town, and shoot primer-only .22s on occasion for fun.

I was walking to my pickup one day with my custom AR when a deputy just happened to be driving by. He came to a screeching stop, and spent the next 15 minutes asking me all about the gun and telling me how cool it was, and asking if he could shoot it sometime. I live in the sticks, but there are some good things here, like not being harrassed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links