Help: Gunsmiths! Mossy 590 safety screw removal

This is a discussion on Help: Gunsmiths! Mossy 590 safety screw removal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm trying to remove the safety switch _screw_ from my Mossberg 590A1 to replace it with a new and different switch. Problem is the screw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Gunsmiths! Mossy 590 safety screw removal

Exclamation Help: Gunsmiths! Mossy 590 safety screw removal

I'm trying to remove the safety switch _screw_ from my Mossberg 590A1 to replace it with a new and different switch.

Problem is the screw is a clutch type 'security' screw that is by design tamper resistant.

I've called around to all my local hardware & tool providers.
    Only a guy at Home Depot and a local commercial place knew what I was describing and recognized the product name but they don't have the tool to remove it.

I contacted a local gunsmith and he replied he's got over 100 guns in queue to work on so I'd have to leave my gun with him for who knows how long. That to me indicates he needs to hire employees or work more efficiently.
    A second gunsmith I tried to contact left me on hold for over 5m! I hung up and sent him an e-mail. That was an hour ago.

I worked at this for two hours last night and now I'm annoyed.

Does anyone have any ideas for a work around on this?
    I would be very much obliged.

Thanks,

- Janq

P.S. - No I can't Dremel cut it out. I'd looked at that last night and to do so would result in high risk of damage to the guns receiver.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If your desperate you can resort to the easy out solution. Small easy out set might set you back a few bucks and some time but would get that pesky screw right out for ya.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Razor,

I was getting mad about it last night...And decided okay it's time for me to put this away before I go and do something rash and damaging.

I may jump in the car and drive to ACE Hardware to pickup an easy out set.
    Didn't want to go that route being as I never have needed such gear...But then a gunsmith is going to charge me atleast $25 for their time anyway. Argh. : \

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Razor,

I was getting mad about it last night...And decided okay it's time for me to put this away before I go and do something rash and damaging.

I may jump in the car and drive to ACE Hardware to pickup an easy out set.
    Didn't want to go that route being as I never have needed such gear...But then a gunsmith is going to charge me atleast $25 for their time anyway. Argh. : \

- Janq
    I know what you mean. I have had to walk away from projects before. It seems to end up the same way when working on something and getting frustrated but not cooling down first...

1) hurt yourself then in a fit of rage break something
    2) can't find the right tools, hurt yourself and break something
    3) have the right tools but still hurt yourself and break something

Plus when your frustrated you can't think of alternatives to a problem.

Good luck and hope you don't get screwed....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Went to ACE and picked up a 5/64" srill for steel along with a 4MM (max OD) spiral screw extractor. Cost $8 w/MA tax.
    Will try again tonight.

Gunsmith e-mailed me ~:20m saying to bring it by tomorrow as he's not sure if he can help but will take a look at it.

Such a simple task that turns out to be completely frustrating.

- Janq

Problem is the screw is a clutch type 'security' screw that is by design tamper resistant.

I can almost understand a tamper-resistant screw on the hinges of a public rest room stall door, but on a firearm??? Methinks the Mossberg legal staff is too large or working too much overtime!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It gets stupider...

So the drill bit which was the smallest they offered is too large.
    It catches on the flat of the screw and jams rotating in the drills collet!

- Janq

It gets stupider...

- Janq
    arg... what a mess...

how about a left handed drill bit? It drills with the hand drill in reverse.

I don't know what kind of tools you own so this might not be economical. I use a Dremel rotary tool in situations like this to cut a complete slot for a screwdriver.

Obviously. buying power tools you will never use again doesn't make sense. (Or, maybe you can borrow one from a friend)

That is what's called a sex bolt/screw. May sound strange, but one of the most tamper proof fasteners out there. Most of where you'll find these is in public lavatories to secure the partitions and doors, etc.... I had no idea Mossberg went this way with their thumb safety screw. Last I knew they were flat blade slotted. I do have a drill/driver kit that will conquer these pesky screws and almost anything else one could come across, but for the life of me, I don't know exactly where it came from other than the contractor I worked for supplied them to all of his job superintendents. I might suggest contacting one of your local commercial bolt and screw supply houses. If they supply the fastener, they usually have the means to drive it in and take it out! Best of luck.
    BTW...forget the easy outs as they require drilling out the center of the fastener...this generates heat, and if it's a hardened fastener, it will take it's toll on regular drill bits pretty fast even if you use Cool Tool or another cutting lube. If an attempt needs to be made barring all other sources, then a left twist drill bit would be better. Those are pretty costly, and you can figure on getting only one or two uses out of them anyway. Believe me.......I use easy outs and regular HSS drill bits and left twist bits on hardened fasteners all of the time on the job. Lots of times it goes above and beyond the portable hand tool and getting out the mag-drill. Something so small pretty much demands finding the correct tool for the job barring emergency removal. I've removed the center pins on tamper-proof torx head screws with a pin punch before to repair small home appliances. This is something different. Sometimes gunsmiths just simply have the tools when you don't. I guess that's why they're called gunsmiths and have the tools. I do realize the do-it-your-selfer and the ability, while the means escapes the moment. Every once in a while something will come up out of nowhere to screw up your day and one's project. I've been there way too many times myself. That's why I've invested and accumulated the tools that surround me now. Still, there are those times to be expected when you don't have what you need, and then you implement if possible, or modify the tools you already have for the one time single usage and end up destroying them for the intended purpose in the process. Emergencies dictate emergency means. I don't think your case is an emergency even though I can relate to your situation. Above all, I don't want you to screw up your firearm in haste. Be diligent in your search on your end for the correct tool. If you've somehow come to the ends of the universe in that search, then drop me a line and I'll help you any way I can.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Why not call Mossberg and check if they could sell you the proper tool? Also you could check with Brownell's. They have tools like a pharmacy has pills.

I tried to use a small flat blade screwdri8ver and tap the *&^%$#@#@ screw out,I now have 2 little hunks of plastic missing on each side of the screw head,safety still works I just modified it and thats the story I'm stickin too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Why not call Mossberg...
    That was my very first thought.
    I called this morning to the cust. service. number and got a VM message indicating they are closed for the Easter weekend.
    The part I'm trying to install arrived from Brownells yesterday. :\

- Janq

That kind of screw is made to go ON ONLY, But I Dremel it FLAT not too fast, As too blue it (over heat) then punch a starter for your bit. ; )
    H/D PS There is no tool that I know of
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

It gets stupider...

- Janq
    Assuming you have a variable speed drill, the lighter you pull the trigger the slower it goes. Put duct tape all around the screw, to avoid damage to the finish. Then while barely making contact with the metal run the drill as slow as possible slowly increasing downward pressure until you're drilling, the light pressure will trim away the edges that are binding the bit (starting with a dull bit using normal pressure will do the same).

The simple things sometimes turn out to be the most frustrating.

Good Luck.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links