Raccoons

This is a discussion on Raccoons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMHO, Keep the authorities & neighbors out of any action you may take. Cage a coon, call animal control to come pick it up. EPO's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoons

IMHO, Keep the authorities & neighbors out of any action you may take. Cage a coon, call animal control to come pick it up. EPO's at the door wanting to see your current trapping license.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    My late father-in-law lived on a farm of about 500 acres. My wife and I would stay there for a few weeks every summer. He had a small plot close to the house for corn and other vege's they consumed in the house. Racoon's used to break down the corn stalks on a regular basis, take a few bites of the new ears and of course ruin the entire stalk. My FIL trapped them in a trap like the ones suggested on other posts. He would shoot them with a 22 rifle. He knew I always came armed so he'd always ask me to practice on them. Let me tell you, after the first time I put 5 rounds of .45 cal. into one before he stopped snarling, I got a whole new respect for how tough and viscous they can be. The only time I was able to kill one with only one shot was when I used a snubbie with +P frag. shells and a head shot. Another time we accidentally trapped one in the garage and it chewed through a wooden panel of the overhead door to get out. Don't underestimate them. They are mean and smart.
    Agreed. They just don't want to die. .22 to the head just ticks them off even more.

When trapping them for money,dont ever shoot one in a hollow tree and then use some barb wire to pull it out,It's never a good thing to be 6 feet off the ground and have a supposedly dead coon come back to life in your face
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Jersey is filled with rabid racoons.
    Here, if we see them wandering around in broad daylight, it's a sure bet they're infected. They're agressive and they're dangerous.
    Just be really careful if your 'problem racoons' are out and about during the day.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a cage and trap it,you go flinging rounds at a raccoon in a residential neighborhood you could end up in jail
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    The legal issue is that it's typically a relatively serious crime to discharge a firearm within city limits. If you have a concealed carry permit, you won't keep it long if you get caught shooting in the city.

If it's really an urgent right-now problem and you don't know what to do, hire a reputable pest removal company. It's not worth it to risk a clean criminal history for a dumb racoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper T View Post
    Go buy a 12x12x36 inch cage trap. Get a bottle of anise flavoring and a big marshmellow. Poke a hole in the marshmellow and add a couple of drops of anise and throw it in the very back of the trap. The marshmellow is for sight and the anise attracts coons.
    I am very willing to bet that the coon is not rabid. Coons are very mean and agressive around pets. They are not cuddily and furry and cute, they are predators just as fox, coyotes and bears are.
    I trap around 350 every year and can tell you that they are very willing to take on a dog.

^^^^^^^^^yep^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had racoon trouble 2yr.s ago .
    I live out in cropland St.Clair co., and just after winter, I had one in the middle of the day, just sitting on my grass between the house and barn.40-45 degrees out. Went and got the .22 and popped him.
    Week later one is in my GARAGE, with our yellow lab going crazy.
    Its hiding behind a cabinet. I grab my 9 and a stick, and start poking around and it scurrys toward the door. Door was shut, to keep dog away, I grab shovel, give it a few cracks on the head and out go his lights.You gottas do what you gotta do.
    The one you are being troubled by is probably in a neighbors garage or under one or a shed.I'd do what they said in a residential hood. you don't need the grief of hitting an unintended target, or discharge of a firearm within city limits

Why do you go “back and forth” to town if you really must go forth before you go back?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I agree with the others, live traps work. I’d set it up on something that will require the coon to climb a little to get to it.

If you set it at ground level you may get a non-target animal and your next post well may be “How do I get a skunk out of a live trap”.

Been there, done that…..

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate the trapping tips. I did check with my animal control, and they won't give me a trap they don't even believe there's a raccoon in the neighborhood as no trash has been tipped over, there's no sign of it being in the area other than people seeing them. I'm somewhat upset by the lack of concern on their part.

I'd like to reiterate that I ideally I don't want to shoot the thing, I realize the liability on my end is great. However if the thing is in my yard, does come after me or my 'family' then I'll worry about the legality latter. I've seen dogs in the country literally eviscerated by raccoon's, I know full well what they're capable of.

With that said, something certainly isn't right. I'm not an expert on them, obviously but I have watched them enough and ran into them in the woods enough to know that they are not normally aggressive towards humans, especially when they have an easy escape route. Something is wrong with this animal, whether it's rabies, distemper or a bad burrito. If this was a sane coon my biggest concern would be securing my trash cans.

I talked to my elderly neighbor, he's heard it outside of his house and he's concerned enough he's keeping his double barrel loaded for the first time in twenty years. My other neighbors left their backyard lights on all night, and they're on as of right now. I'm assuming they're aware of the issue, I'll talk to them the next time I see them. Perhaps if I can find three traps and place them in each yard something will come out of it.

There's something deeply embarrassing about being afraid of a 20lb mammal. I've run into black bears unarmed and not felt this worried, more excited than anything. This is just pathetic.

I was wondering what the big deal is about a little old raccoon. I'd just use a decent airgun and be done with it.

I've shot squirrels in the head with a pellet gun before, I swear the damn thing winked at me as it hopped away. I don't really trust an airgun to take care of it.

I took 'coons as a kid with a Benjamin pump .177 air rifle. They were pretty well wrecked if shot squarely in the head. A .22 is good. An M1 Carbine is overkill. A 12 gauge is the ultimate.

One will never get ahead of a rural raccoon population by trapping them. He can eliminate a chronic problem raccoon with a trap. It will only be a matter of time before another takes his place though.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Timely discussion of critters. As I was out for dinner my daughter calls, seems the dog has a possum scared crap-less at the top of the privacy fence at the back of the yard. Got home, snapped a branch off the lilac bush and shoved the end of it 4 inches down the throat of the furry bugger and he won't move, dog is close to jumping to the top of the 6 foot fence when I finally kicked the fence hard enough to knock it down into the yard behind us. God help the critter if he decides to come back, the dog is still quite agitated and won't leave the fence line after another 20 minutes of watching for his furry friend.
    Could be a long night.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Also just a tip, my dad and I were talking about your delema.

When you do the live trap with bait put it in the back of the cage, but wrap that back half in a fine wire(chiken wire).

Most will try to grab it from outside the cage, the fine wire MAKES them half to go inside.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    archery....works wonders

surv

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    DUH, time to get in some practice with hubby's bow
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Get a trap, but be aware that racoons are extremely smart animals. If they get trapped in the evening and have all night, they'll usually get themselves out before morning, working catches and trap doors open. Also, if one coon is hanging around, chances are there are more around.

Trap them and either call animal control or relocate them several miles away. Only relocate them if it's not against the law in your area as some areas have laws against relocating critters.

One last thing. Don't get yourself anywhere near them. Racoons have razor sharp claws and teeth and know how to use them. They do not like being messed with.

These guys are smart and will figure out how to open a trap if given a chance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links