Raccoons - Page 3

Raccoons

This is a discussion on Raccoons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shooting the animal or discharging a weapon is most likely a violation of state law in a residential area. Not at all a good idea. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoons

VIP Member
    Shooting the animal or discharging a weapon is most likely a violation of state law in a residential area. Not at all a good idea. Trapping might be your bes bet.

You might need a hunting and or trapping license to hunt or trap any fur-bearing animal such as raccoon, nuisance or not even on your own property. Check with your Department of Conservation. Here we can buy hunting licenses at Walmart. Attached are some tips on lures and traps.
    Do It Yourself; Making Trapping Lures

It might be possible for you to use an air rifle or pistol (pellets .177 cal. or less) if your town, city or county does not have an ordnance that prohibits its use. Air rifles are plenty powerful enough to take out raccoon. Even then you might need a hunting license. Check with authorities first. Even if you find that it is legal, it might not be a good idea to be carrying a permitted weapon while doing so. This could still be dangerous to bystanders and not recommended.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I realize that discharging a firearm isn't the ideal situation, but I refuse to accept that in a time of self defense they can charge me for breaking a stupid ordinance. My right to self preservation over rides any local ordinances. By that logic I couldn't defend myself anywhere other than parks and wooded locations, even inside my own home. If someone enters your yard with the intent to kill you, you have the right to use lethal force, even if lethal force requires the use of a fire arm. If a dangerous animal enters your property you have the right to protect the lives of your loved ones and yourself. Now I could be wrong about this, they could slap me in jail for defending myself....wouldn't be the first time some overly liberal judge has made a mistake. However I would almost enjoy the countless appeals and law suits I would file against them. I might not win, but they'll sure as hell remember my name.

I found out in a nearby county, where a buddy lives that it's legal to shoot crossbows in your yard. Not sure why, as an arrow is every bit as lethal as a bullet....admittedly not going to break through a brick wall. However I'm going to look into my own county and city regulations, if It's alright I'll borrow one of his for awhile. I was never very good with a bow, but after trying out his crossbow I'm pretty confident in my short range skills. Especially with some practice.

I'll be checking on what I need to do to go about trying to trap the damned thing. Thanks for the heads up on the mesh on the back of the cage, I would not have thought of that. And believe me, I'm well aware of how smart they are. I remember seeing something on them where they showed the coons ability to open locking mechanisms. I've got experience with the non deranged kind due to my camp in the woods up in Vermont. They can be annoying, due to their ability to get into the cabin no matter what I do. I swear the buggers know how to pick locks.

VIP Member
    Ijust had a thought on your situation. My brotherin laws old neighbor had Jack Russel Teriers.I bought one from him, several years ago. This guy used to work them on coons.
    Farmers used to love these guys because they'd come to a farm with 3-5 dogs, turn em' loose in a barn and they'd wreak havoc on the coons.It took 3-4- of them to finally wear the coon down, (they are vicious), and most times Rick would strep in and shoot the coons when an opportunity permitted.
    But sometimes these little maniacs would get the coon themselves.
    Try putting the word out for a guy like that in your area.
    These dogs are wired to kill rabbit, possums coons skunks and the like. fox also. they hate almost all pests.
    The kids would take Tigger(name of the one we had) out in the field after I brush hogged weeds, and he'd kill all the mice, Quick

Ok, so what's the speed of dark?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you want proof for the disbelieving civil servants at your local animal control, take a camera with you (or use your cell phone) and take a picture of it in the tree with the neighbor's window in the picture. You could also record the sounds you hear on your cellphone and play it back for them. But yeah, I kind of doubt that if you are in fear for your life from a rabid animal the authorities will prosecute you. Particularly if you have a paper trail of complaining to said authorities.

Oh, and raccoons have no fear of humans. I can remember working at a restaurant and having them sitting on top of the industrial waste containers, waiting for us to take out the garbage.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Your Animal Control folks are idiots, sorry to say that. I concur some raccoons do not have fear of humans especially when food is their main motivator LOL. They come up to the restuarants around here all the time.

I hope you solve your problem my friend.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a cage and trap it,you go flinging rounds at a raccoon in a residential neighborhood you could end up in jail
    Yep, don't do it.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Exclamation (insert obscenity here) Raccoons!!!

I live trap them all the time, a tad bit of cat food will do the trick, but beware they are mean vicious, and known rabies carriers, once caught they will grab anything within reach of the cage and tear it up, they will rip open a cheap cage, they will bite, and the only good raccoon is a dead one....

They will rob song bird nests, and eat their young, if you have ducks or chickens, they will kill and eat their head, then gut and eat some more, and will be back the next night to kill yet again unless you trap and get them first!!!

Cute only when I seen them dead along side the road....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Small update, I got a few traps today and my buddy loaned me one of his barnett crossbow, not sure of the model. Got a good deal of practice in with it today, and I'll be honest I might have to eventually buy one. Set up the traps in the most logical spots. But then again I have a hard time getting into the mind of a raccoon so we'll see what happens. I'm willing to bet I'll end up with a lot of pissed off cats but I'll hope for the best.

Good luck.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

When I lived in Wauchula, FL we had to put chicken wire around our porch all the way up to the roof because the racoons would come out at night and beat the piss out of our screens trying to break into the house. Back then we were feeding the cat wet (canned) cat food and the went berzerk for that.

Ingredients:
    1 raccoon
    12 small sweet potatoes
    1 med. onion (sliced)
    3 med. carrots
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    1 large bell pepper
    1 cup water
    1 bottle of barbecue sauce

Directions:

Dress the coon, then cook until tender. Debone. Place coon in foil lined baking pan. Add remaining ingredients to baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are done.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Barbecue Raccoon serves/makes 6

Younger coons are best.

Michael

Ha nah, considering what their diet consists of, his unknown health conditions and the fact I hate having to dress animals will keep me from eating him. I'd really like to discover once and for all just how intelligent these animals are. If I do happen to get this bothersome one, I wonder if his head mounted on a pike in the woods would keep other raccoons from coming into my yard. Or if it would be a rallying point for them and then I find myself with an organized pissed off coalition of coons.

Anyways, other than checking the traps I haven't done a whole lot. I heard it again the other night, but nothing as dramatic as the last time. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    Ha nah, considering what their diet consists of, his unknown health conditions and the fact I hate having to dress animals will keep me from eating him. I'd really like to discover once and for all just how intelligent these animals are. If I do happen to get this bothersome one, I wonder if his head mounted on a pike in the woods would keep other raccoons from coming into my yard. Or if it would be a rallying point for them and then I find myself with an organized pissed off coalition of coons.

Anyways, other than checking the traps I haven't done a whole lot. I heard it again the other night, but nothing as dramatic as the last time. We'll see what happens.
    One night several years ago (living in the country) I had issues with what I thought was a (singular) raccoon. After getting tired of cleaning up the garbage all over the yard every day I set a trap.

I placed a paper plate with a big gob of peanut butter out in the side yard, near a kitchen window. I turned out all the lights except for the external flood light near the bait and sat inside with my scoped Ruger 10-22. After waiting about 30 minutes or so the beasties started approaching. There were three of them, I shot the first one (head shot) and killed it instantly. To my disbelief, this only caused the other two to hesitate for just a moment before the approached the bait (and their dead friend). All told, I killed three raccoons and two possums that night.

My experience is that a .22LR (from a rifle) is very effective on raccoons and possums.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Timely discussion of critters. As I was out for dinner my daughter calls, seems the dog has a possum scared crap-less at the top of the privacy fence at the back of the yard. Got home, snapped a branch off the lilac bush and shoved the end of it 4 inches down the throat of the furry bugger and he won't move, dog is close to jumping to the top of the 6 foot fence when I finally kicked the fence hard enough to knock it down into the yard behind us. God help the critter if he decides to come back, the dog is still quite agitated and won't leave the fence line after another 20 minutes of watching for his furry friend.
    Could be a long night.

Speaking of possums. Theres nothing like turning on the bathroom light at 4 a.m. and seeing one standing on a rug. I had my garden tub taken apart and had an oversized hole in the floor where I was running plumbing. Damn thing came in through the hole! I shot it in the eyeball with a Crossman pump pellet gun and it didn't kill it. I trapped it with a laundry basket and took it outside and finished it off with TWO .410 shots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Speaking of possums. Theres nothing like turning on the bathroom light at 4 a.m. and seeing one standing on a rug. I had my garden tub taken apart and had an oversized hole in the floor where I was running plumbing. Damn thing came in through the hole! I shot it in the eyeball with a Crossman pump pellet gun and it didn't kill it. I trapped it with a laundry basket and took it outside and finished it off with TWO .410 shots.
    We have quite a few possums around here. A couple weeks a go, one must have triggered the motion sensor on my security lighting. I lit up the back yard like a night game at the ball bark. The possum must have been spooked by the light. He fell out of the tree. Next thing I see is my 130 lb. Malamute bounding of the deck. He grabbed the possum by the mouth and then shook it and shook it. Then he ran the length of the back yard, back an fourth back and fourth.

By then the critter was dead. The dog then started licking and nudging it with his nose an pawing a like "get up. I want to play some more." I put it in the trash. it was the size of a big house cat. Probably 14 lb. or more.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links