Raccoons

This is a discussion on Raccoons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Racccons are hard to get rid of, we sympathize. Just be extremely careful when dealing with them. With the exception of my crazy Aunt who, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Raccoons

Racccons are hard to get rid of, we sympathize. Just be extremely careful when dealing with them.

With the exception of my crazy Aunt who, despite numerous warnings, feeds them when they come 'round.

I was putting in a window A/C unit in her house once, and there were large appliance boxes on her carport, mostly for the 30+ feral cats she also feeds. As I sad earlier, crazy Aunt. I heard a noise in one of the boxes, looked inside and came face to face with 3 young raccoons!

I told my Aunt who brushed it off by saying, "I know. Momma brought them here last night to feed and left them."

It gets better. My crazy Aunt actually buys bananas and potatoes for the raccoons. She cooks the potatoes and slices up the bananas for them. I could go on but we will leave it at that.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Ingredients:
    1 raccoon
    12 small sweet potatoes
    1 med. onion (sliced)
    3 med. carrots
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    1 large bell pepper
    1 cup water
    1 bottle of barbecue sauce

Directions:

Dress the coon, then cook until tender. Debone. Place coon in foil lined baking pan. Add remaining ingredients to baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are done.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Barbecue Raccoon serves/makes 6

Younger coons are best.

Michael

nice recipe. Just one question. "Cooked until tender..... would that be boiled in seasoned water, or baked. We used to cut them into manageable parts, pre-boil in seasoned water (usually adding chunks of onion with salt, pepper, garlic), then bake the tenderized meat as a "roast", or put on the grill.

surv

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When trapping them for money,dont ever shoot one in a hollow tree and then use some barb wire to pull it out,It's never a good thing to be 6 feet off the ground and have a supposedly dead coon come back to life in your face
    Love to see a video of that one!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The best advice after animal control ignores you is a live trap. They work, and makes easy pickins' of nasty coons...then it's just a 20 mile drive and let them go..
    Good advice; but, do not go less than 20 miles or it is a good chance it will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    nice recipe. Just one question. "Cooked until tender..... would that be boiled in seasoned water, or baked. We used to cut them into manageable parts, pre-boil in seasoned water (usually adding chunks of onion with salt, pepper, garlic), then bake the tenderized meat as a "roast", or put on the grill.

surv
    Boiled for older coons. For young coons we used to just bake them whole like a suckling pig. I'm betting one of these water smokers would tenderize an older one just right. For those who havn't tried it coon meat is very good. So is muskrat and they are easier to catch.

Michael

Here's a picture of my raccoon problem a few years ago when I lived in Utah. I went on vacation for about a week. Came back and they had taken over my front yard. I didn't know too much about them back then and thought they would all scatter when I walked up. That didn't work at all. They just stood there looking at me. There were more than what you can see in this pic off in the yard. I had left out a bunch of cat food while I was gone and they all came to feast.

I'm gonna need more bolts....

Seriously though, it's weird how city coons differ from ones out in the country. The ones I've encountered out in the woods were always submissive, not necessarily scared but they'd retreat back and assess the situation. Even the ones that worked up the nerve to sneak into our cabins trash can would show appropriate fear when you came out in your boxers with a shotgun at 3am.

One of my traps caught a possum. He was pretty reserved considering the discourtesy that I laid upon him. I think he'll bounce right back a bit stronger for all of the hassle. Hopefully he won't tip off my primary target.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post
    Here's a picture of my raccoon problem a few years ago when I lived in Utah. I went on vacation for about a week. Came back and they had taken over my front yard. I didn't know too much about them back then and thought they would all scatter when I walked up. That didn't work at all. They just stood there looking at me. There were more than what you can see in this pic off in the yard. I had left out a bunch of cat food while I was gone and they all came to feast.

So which one did you shoot first?

None, but I did tell my wife I was going to get my shotgun and got a stern "no you aren't!" in response.

I tried my hand at live trapping some of them after that, but never actually got any. I got a lot of cats though.

Well after two cats, a bat (I know, what the hell) and a few obvious escapes I finally got the bugger. Duct taped the cage to make sure it didn't escape again (if raccoon's can get through duct tape we really aren't the top of the food chain) and dropped it off at Animal Controls office.

I know there's probably a law against it, but they really angered me with their lack of concern. Plus I figure they're the professionals...they can handle it.

It seems like it was just one, but I'm leaving the other traps out to make sure it was the act of a lone individual.

It's not that difficult to trap a raccoon (or a possum). I'll occasionally get one going after the chickens or trying to tear apart the trash cans.

Get one of those Haveaheart traps ( here ). Any local farm store will probably carry several different sizes. I bait it with dry cat food on a paper plate. It works great.

To keep the raccoon from turning over the trap and spilling the cat food through the trap, place a few bricks on top of the trap. Put some objects around the back of the trap, too, if you can to kind of direct him toward the door so he'll be more likely to enter the trap to get the food.

I don't mind running across them out in the woods but I don't have any tolerance for chicken predators up close to the henhouse, so once one starts coming around close and I catch him, I'll drive him out to the far side of the property where he becomes coyote and buzzard food. In a city or neighborhood setting, you may have to find a more discrete way of dispatching him.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by skot View Post

If you don't want to disturb the neighbors... a GAMO with hollow point pellets will do the job nicely....

Meanwhile a few days back I had one of my pet ducks near ripped in two by one of the varmints....
    My ducks were locked in their barn for the night and the Raccoon reached under the footing and managed to get one by the head and tried to drag in under the building, what a mess and a real bad way to die.....

the next night I managed to live trap the POS as it came back for seconds.... No it did not survive the encounter....

as to what kind of trap, Tractor Supply has them, the kind with a spring loaded door that locks down real nice and tight regardless of how many times they manage to roll it over.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

nevermind...didn't see the post that you caught the bugger...
    Last edited by packinnova; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: not enough coffee today
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I was in my driveway, rural setting, when I looked over into my neighbors back yard. 2:30 in the afternoon, 2 children, 8 year old and 3 year old playing, and a coon staggering out of the woods 30 yards away from them.
    Grabbed target 22 pistol from my truck , and very carefully shot it 3 times in the head from about 15yards. After the neighbor saw what the shooting was all about, he thanked me. We called PGC and they took coon and tested it.
    2 weeks later Game Commission calls, it was rabid. No problems from them or the neighbors...
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    I was in my driveway, rural setting, when I looked over into my neighbors back yard. 2:30 in the afternoon, 2 children, 8 year old and 3 year old playing, and a coon staggering out of the woods 30 yards away from them.
    Grabbed target 22 pistol from my truck , and very carefully shot it 3 times in the head from about 15yards. After the neighbor saw what the shooting was all about, he thanked me. We called PGC and they took coon and tested it.
    2 weeks later Game Commission calls, it was rabid. No problems from them or the neighbors...
    Never should be a problem with something like that. Though it coming back rabid just lent more support to your ending a threat. Those rabie shots can be painful especially for little ones.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links