What good is a C&R license beyond getting a CZ-82?

This is a discussion on What good is a C&R license beyond getting a CZ-82? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The more I read about the CZ-82, the more I want one. What I really like is that it seems "real world" useful and not ...

Thread: What good is a C&R license beyond getting a CZ-82?

The more I read about the CZ-82, the more I want one. What I really like is that it seems "real world" useful and not just a collectible "shelf queen." (Not slamming collectibles, I am just looking for practical use guns at this point.) Plus the CZ is a great price compared to Glocks and other big boys.

What other great C&R weapons are out there that are relatively inexpensive, practical use weapons like the CZ-82? (both handguns and rifles)

Yes, I have downloaded the BATFE list, but rather than researching each model in the list, I was hoping some of the folks here could help me narrow it down a little.

Thanks in advance...

The Mosin-Nagants are inexpensive, well made, and ammo is cheap and plentiful (for now). It shoots 7.62x54r round ~ 3006 in size. Cons include they kick like a mule. Priced less then $100.

If you want a highly accurate rifle look to the K31 Swiss rifles. The Swiss gave every infantry man a sniper rifle and they shoot like one. Most all bores are in great condition because the Swiss never made corrosive ammo in the 7.5 Swiss. Priced $250 birch stock, $300 walnut stock.

SKS rifle (not all, must be c&r) semiauto goodness.

Just three off the top of my head.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanmich View Post
    The more I read about the CZ-82, the more I want one. What I really like is that it seems "real world" useful and not just a collectible "shelf queen." (Not slamming collectibles, I am just looking for practical use guns at this point.) Plus the CZ is a great price compared to Glocks and other big boys.

What other great C&R weapons are out there that are relatively inexpensive, practical use weapons like the CZ-82? (both handguns and rifles)

Yes, I have downloaded the BATFE list, but rather than researching each model in the list, I was hoping some of the folks here could help me narrow it down a little.

Thanks in advance...
    One big thing you need to realize, other than purchasing C&R guns and having them sent directly to your home the C&R FFL (03-FFL) can get you dealer pricing at vendors like Midway and Brownells and many other online firearms related sites. It saves me several hundred dollars a year on ammo, reloading supplies and other firearms related items. I have saved as much as $75 on a single large order from Midway.

C&R guns........ Well lets see, here are a few of mine:

And these are all shooters not collectables only

Rack of Mosin Nagants
    Last edited by pirate; April 4th, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless you're planning on purchasing a lot of firearms, I don't see the point in getting the license.

I recently bought a CZ-82 for $169 (VG to Excel), plus $29 for an extra mag. The total with FFL & shipping came to @$260. The pistol was in great shape (other than having been dipped in a preservative-yuk!) but when cleaned and lubed proved to be a terrific shooter, better than my Glock! Very well made and excellent trigger.

It's currently being DuraCoated and grips from Marschals are on order. Best buy I've made in a long time.

I'm planning on getting another, stripping it to bare parts, having my son's name, rank and unit engraved on it, and a new DuraCoat finish as a Xmas gift when he returns from his current deployment.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks, all, for the good advice. I didn't realize C&R scored us discounts outside of the "collectibles" market as well.

Pirate, I've enjoyed your pics throughout my CZ research. Beautiful guns,beautifully photographed.

OldVet, what a great gift! With you as a dad, your son is a fortunaate man indeed.

Several places will give you discounts with a C&R. Midway, Century Brownell's.... Just to name a few....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

If you are out of state and see a collectable you want in a gun store or pawn shop, you can buy and walk out with it. That's something you couldn't do without a C&R.

Sponsored Links