SIG Conversion Kits

SIG Conversion Kits

This is a discussion on SIG Conversion Kits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi y'all. This is my first post here so bear with me......... :-) What I am wondering is this: Are there kits available to convert ...

SIG Conversion Kits

Hi y'all. This is my first post here so bear with me......... :-)

What I am wondering is this:

Are there kits available to convert a SIG P229 in .357Sig to both .40 S&W or 9mm?

How about to convert a P229 in .40S&W to both .357Sig or 9mm?

And of course I have to ask; how about for converting a P229 in 9mm to .40S&W or .357Sig?

I know there is one to go from .40S&W to .357Sig and back, but can one frame be made to soot all three calibers by just changing the barrel?

I was going to contact SIG, but it is 2300 on a Saturday night and I don't want to wait untill 0900 Monday. :-)

Thanks folks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lands5 View Post
    Hi y'all. This is my first post here so bear with me......... :-)

What I am wondering is this:

Are there kits available to convert a SIG P229 in .Sig to both .40 S&W or 9mm?

How about to convert a P229 in .40S&W to both .357Sig or 9mm?

And of course I have to ask; how about for converting a P229 in 9mm to .40S&W or .357Sig?

I know there is one to go from .40S&W to .357Sig and back, but can one frame be made to soot all three calibers by just changing the barrel?

I was going to contact SIG, but it is 2300 on a Saturday night and I don't want to wait until 0900 Monday. :-)

Thanks folks!
    Don't hold me to this. All I can see right now is:

Model 229R Convertible Rim fire Full Size Frame converts to 9mm/ blk Nitron fin.

These are p229R conversions from 22 LR to 40Cal/357 S&W. This offer will be available with a coupon to buy the 40/357 S&W Slide, Barrel, Spring Guide and Magazine - for one price.

I do not see the conversion kits listed. There may be one for the 9mm conversion. Since Sig is offering a coupon for the 40/357 S&W, I doubt that it is available yet. The conversion is for full size frame only. Don't see anything for Compacts.

The only other convertible is the Sig P250. Converts to/from 9mm,
    .40, 357 S&W and 45 Colt. I have not seen the 45 Colt but may be available sometime this summer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

You can change a 229 in .40 to .357 Sig by putting in Sigs .357 barrel. Nothing else needs to be done. To change to 9mm, you will need a Bar-Sto Barrel in 9mm to start with. I would guess a differant recoil spring and 9mm mags are also needed, but not sure. I don't think you can go to .357 to .40 though, but off hand can't see why not.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    The 229 if bought in either .357 or .40 can be changed to the other by just swapping the barrel, the same mag works for both types of ammo. To go to 9 mm you need a third party barrel.

The 229 in 9 MM is it! You can't go to either the .357 of .40.

There is a conversion kit for the 229 to fire .22, if you're looking for that option. I believe it includes at least a new slide, barrel, and mag. I'd suggest checking the SIG company website for more information on the .22 option.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

No kits, per se....but if you have a P229 in .40 or .357SIG, you can convert to the other caliber by purchasing a conversion barrel from bar-sto. You can also convert the same gun by purchasing a 9mm from bar-sto.

You CANNOT convert a P229/9mm into a .40 or .357SIG.

I have a P229/.40 and have a conversion 9mm barrel from Bar-Sto. I don't change mags or springs....never had a failure to fire. However, I do make sure I use a good amount of gun oil, as the tolerances are very tight for a semi-fitted barrel.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    No kits, per se....but if you have a P229 in .40 or .357SIG, you can convert to the other caliber by purchasing a conversion barrel from bar-sto.
    Just wondering why you are using Bar-Sto barrels instead of SIG, just cost?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Here is my Sig 229 with .40cal, 357Sig and 9mm, just change the barrels and it works. also seen is my 226 with the black .22cal conversion kit, change slide and mag for it. I found that Barsto barrels have tight chambers.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    For the multi-caliber SIGs,the .40/357SIG slide is different from the 9mm slide. So, if you have either .40S&W or 357SIG, you can shoot the other caliber just by changing barrel (with a SIG factory barrel) and magazine (and in some cases, you can even use the same mag for both).

If you have a .40/357SIG now, you can get a non-SIG aftermarket 9mm barrel from Bar-Sto (and a 9mm mag, I presume) and shoot 9mm. The Bar-Sto barrel may require some gunsmith fitting.

I would think to go from 9mm to a larger caliber requires an entirely separate top (slide, springs, &c.). The .22LR kits are complete uppers and mags bundled together.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Hey thanks for all the info people, I really appreciate it.

Links