PT709 or PF9

This is a discussion on PT709 or PF9 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Getting another handgun in the next month or so. Which is better? I have heard good and bad about both, I have rented both and ...

Thread: PT709 or PF9

PT709 or PF9

Getting another handgun in the next month or so. Which is better? I have heard good and bad about both, I have rented both and they both feel great in my hands.
    The PT709, is it true you either get one with no issues or major issues?
    The PF9, haven't heard anything bad about them yet.
    I am looking for any and all feedback from the (professionals)!!!!!!1

Thanks,

Tim

2. Remove Ads

well i owen the 709 never tryed the pf9 but i not had any problens with my 709 run over 500 rounds so far let the wife try it now its the wife gun. it just so slim that it did not fit my big hand that good.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    Getting another handgun in the next month or so. Which is better? I have heard good and bad about both, I have rented both and they both feel great in my hands.
    The PT709, is it true you either get one with no issues or major issues?
    The PF9, haven't heard anything bad about them yet.
    I am looking for any and all feedback from the (professionals)!!!!!!1

Thanks,

Tim
    It is true that the 709 has a lot of issues. Taurus in general has some serious quality control problems. Some people do get lucky and end up with a nice gun... I wouldn't make that gamble if it were my money.

The PF9; you won't hear much bad about it. Its a neat little gun as long as you understand what it is. Its not a Glock, Sig or S&W. Its a KelTec. Its not meant to hang with the top shelf guns and its not marketed that way. Its meant to be a low cost, but decent carry gun, and it fills that roll very well. KelTec is a honest, American company that stands by its product too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AzB
    My PT 709 shoots great. With a thorough cleaning before I shot it, all it needed was a little sight adjustment to be darn near perfect.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I'd take Sixto's advise!

Ron
    For what it is worth, I have a PF-9, which I pocket carry most of the time. It has about 600 flawless rounds through it, both FMJ and my self defense ammo. I shoot it at the range every other week, putting 3 mags through it to test for continued reliability. Hasn't failed me yet.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

i have a pf9. had a bad mag spring in it. I took it apart and fixed it and havent had issues since. it is a great gun and the customer service is second to none. i wont guarantee either gun will be issue free, but i can tell you the pf9 will have good customer service behind it. also the pf9 is more light weight and thinner too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd take Sixto's advise!
    I've done a lot of reading on this little gun and it seems that it either gets great reviews or very bad reviews, not much in between. Perhaps Taurus quality is hit-or-miss, but I suspect that some of the bad reviews come from guns that were not cleaned before they were taken to the range first time.

Sixto, have you any real world experience with the 709? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
    Lifetime NRA member.

So far it looks like the PF9. I have a Taurus PT745 that has'nt given me any trouble yet, but I don't know if my luck would keep up if I bought another.
    But, like Sixto said, it's not a Glock, maybe I can not each lunch at work til then and save for a Glock or Sig.
    Whatever I choose, there will be a range report and pics.

Thanks to all,

Tim

My 709 has been flawless through 800 rounds. Thin, light, accurate, managable recoil, easy follow-up shots on target...it has far exceeded my expectations. Good light single action trigger and striker-fired action, short trigger reset. Clean and lube new before shooting.

Like any small 9mm, it isn't designed to be a military style roll it around in the mud and shoot it type of weapon. It is made as a CCW. Clean it often, don't over-lube, find ammo it likes, and don't limp wrist it. A lot of issues come from folks who want to bang 500 re-loads or winchester white box rounds through it at a time. Very small 9mm have tight tolerances and can be ammo sensitive. Clean it every 200 rounds (at least run a bore snake through it at the range every 200 rounds if you shoot more than that at a time).

I think of guns much like cars. They are tools. The '63 bug cost $1200 and had a 40 hp engine that held just over 2 quarts of oil. Simple design, required a lot of maintenance (regular valve adjustments and frequet oil changes), but could climb the swiss alps with no problem and accumulate 100,000 miles. An NHRA dragster costs $500,000+ with 1,000 hp and can go over 300 mph, in a straight line. The average engine gets less than 100 miles before it needs completely overhauled. While these are similar tools, they have two completely different purposes, designs, maintenance needs, and results. One is not necessarily better than the other, but each is better at their intended function and purpose for which they were designed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I bought a PT709 for the wife. No regrets and no problems. Nice accurate lil shooter. I'm happy, she's happy. I have no experience with the PF9. Granted it's not a Glock, but based on it's performance so far, I believe it will suffice when and if needed.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My PF-9 has been good for what it is- a small, thin pocket gun that still chambers a good self defense round. I don't have any experience with the Taurus. When I bought my gun last year they were very tough to find in stock.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I believe both are good for what they are intended for.

My PF9 has over 600 rounds through it and the only problem is with a bad mag spring that I fixed myself.

Trust the PF9 and have carried it but now carry a P3AT for size and concealment.

If things really get worse I will carry the PF9 and the P3AT as BUG.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by XDOwner View Post

Sixto, have you any real world experience with the 709? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
    I must admit I don't own one, but I don't want one either. I do have the luxury of being a armorer ( I'll stop short of calling myself a gunsmith, as I am not) and general trouble shooter for a busy gun shop as well as a police academy and a few police departments. By circumstance I ended up submerged in the gun world. I see a lot of guns of all types, and I get to shoot a lot of other peoples guns, hear their gripes, moans or praises.
    Anyway, we get a lot of 709's returned to the shop. They have some serious issues. Mag problems, return springs and polymer quality are the main complaints. It's a shame too, I like the 709 could be a good gun' but its a crap shoot... and the odds are not in the consumers favor with this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links