Springfield M1A

Springfield M1A

This is a discussion on Springfield M1A within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So for a couple of months now I have been saving up to purchase a new Springfield M1A, and I've been under the impression that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield M1A

Springfield M1A

So for a couple of months now I have been saving up to purchase a new Springfield M1A, and I've been under the impression that these are very available and not hard to find at all. Recently I visited a local gun store and asked if they had anything or if they would be able to order it (much easier than getting it online or from a big box store like cabelas, etc) and they had explained to me that it's out of stock and would take quite some time to receive, the last new M1A that they had come in was for a customer and the wait time was close to 10 months. Does this sound unreal or realistic? I know there are plenty of used ones around at gun shows, etc, and I've seen a handful of new ones at gun shows as well but are these just "new old stock" rifles?

Any sort of speculation would be helpful, thanks guys.

I have seen a lot of them at Gander Mountain and the big stores.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Shop at gunbroker.com. You'll pay a transfer fee to your local dealer, but you'll find what you want. Consider the shipping and transfer fee the price you pay to get it in less than a week. Otherwise, enjoy the wait.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They're plentifull by me.

Got me one. LOVE it. Don't shoot it much....after I got it setup the way I wanted it. He's me shooting mine prone at the family range. I love this rifle....just awesome.
    Attached Images

Availability is a bit sporadic out here. I snatched one up when it showed up on my local gun dealer's rack. I would probably go the gunbroker route myself given your situation.

Last January I ordered an M1A Scout Squad. It was on backorder for almost a year before I cancelled it, got a credit, and bought an ACOG for my AR.

Pretty happy with the ACOG ;)

VIP Member
    I got lucky and found a Socom 16 in my local shop back in January, have wanted one for a long time. I had just bought a new revolver and couldn't really afford to buy the Socom, but this was the first time I'd seen one in person, and couldn't walk away. Anyway it came home with me.

Buds has a couple.
    Springfield Armory Rifles
    Excuse to show off mine.
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Not to break any forum rules or thread jack, but this seems like an appropriate place to mention I'm trying to sell some M1A mags:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ever-used.html

Thanks for the replies guys, Gunbroker seems like a reliable place to pick one up, I also see them from time to time at gunshows around here. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    They're plentifull by me.

Got me one. LOVE it. Don't shoot it much....after I got it setup the way I wanted it. He's me shooting mine prone at the family range. I love this rifle....just awesome.
    Love the set up, why don't you shoot it often? I don't think I'd be able to keep my hands off of it.

Walked in, bought it, walked out. Was prepared to visit the 6 or so local shops, but it was in the first shop I went into and felt sooooo good.

I see them somewhat regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, Gunbroker seems like a reliable place to pick one up, I also see them from time to time at gunshows around here. I'll keep you posted.

Love the set up, why don't you shoot it often? I don't think I'd be able to keep my hands off of it.
    Oh don't get me wrong I do fondle it alot. Just don't shoot it much cause I'm keeping it in good condition for...well, if things happen do get gritty. I do have a few extra parts but like I said it's for the real deal.

I maybe put 50rnds through it every six months or so.

I have seen a decent supply of M-1a's at small gun shops here in Okla. Not to many socoms but I don't care for those anyways. A M-1a will be more useful than the carbine as it can be a fine mid range target rifle.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have seen a decent supply of M-1a's at small gun shops here in Okla. Not to many socoms but I don't care for those anyways. A M-1a will be more useful than the carbine as it can be a fine mid range target rifle.

Michael
    I'm not really one for the socoms either, does anyone know the pro's and con's between the composite stock and the walnut stock?

I'm assuming the composite stock weighs less and may be more durable, but I've always liked the look and feel of the wood stocks myself.

Any insight?

Go with the walnut. Keep it in good shape with Linseed oil and it will always look good. Mine is walnut and I just love it. Don't worry about the weight as they are a heavy gun anyway. Walnut is an asset any day over plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links