Improving a 1911

This is a discussion on Improving a 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a quick thing I did tonight. I went over to a friends house to talk guns. His wife was away at some meeting and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving a 1911

Improving a 1911

Just a quick thing I did tonight. I went over to a friends house to talk guns. His wife was away at some meeting and he was bored, so was I. So as the night wears on he tells me about an old 1911 he has and the problem it has. The reason he never shoots it anymore is because it jams every round. So he just benched it.

"Nic, you know guns dont ya?? is what he asks me. "can you fix this??" handing me his Springfield 1911 Government. I cycle a few rounds to see what could be jamming it up. First off, its D-I-R-T-Y! And the second thing is the rounds are failure to feed. So I tore it apart and cleaned it really well (accidently squirting Gun Scrubber in my eye like I retard ) and that is when I noticed the feed ramp was rough and not polished. Well, a bit of JB's, dremel tool, and 10 minutes... you could shave with that feed ramp!! Lubed it up and put her back together again. Cycled a few rounds, quite a bit better but still jamming every five or six rounds.

Scratching my head wondering what is going on, he tells me the rounds are not factory, they are "friend loaded." A friend of his made these rounds for him. Well, I pulled out the calipers and a reloading book. They were WAY too long! Pressed them down to size and wouldnt you know, they were flawless.

Going to shoot her tomorrow and see how it does. Its my guess that they will cycle just fine. Its amazing what a bit of cleaning, a dremel tool, and some good 'ol fashion know how will get ya.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like your friend is someone who has no business owning a gun!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Your a good friend indeed. I know many that would have told him it was only good as a parts gun and them offered him a couple hundred dollars for it.

Michael

VIP Member
    Scratching my head wondering what is going on, he tells me the rounds are not factory, they are "friend loaded." A friend of his made these rounds for him. Well, I pulled out the calipers and a reloading book. They were WAY too long! Pressed them down to size and wouldnt you know, they were flawless.
    DO NOT let him shoot these rounds. You have no idea how much powder was used, or what kind of pressures your looking at now. This is a disaster in the making. Have him spend a few bucks and buy factory loaded rounds to shoot, and get rid of the reloads.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    DO NOT let him shoot these rounds. You have no idea how much powder was used, or what kind of pressures your looking at now. This is a disaster in the making. Have him spend a few bucks and buy factory loaded rounds to shoot, and get rid of the reloads.
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!
    By pushing the bullet further into the case, you've now RADICALLY ALTERED the OAL and case head pressure....and may very well have set the stage for a CATASTROPHE!!
    PLEASE!!!! HEED archer51's advice!!!! DUMP THE RELOADS!!!
    They're an accident waiting to happen!!!

Lead Moderator
    Great advice. No use trusting someone who already didn't follow a load recipe correctly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glad you'll heed the advise.... may try the "shake test" on the extractor and some different mags if it still misbehaves.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by das38spl View Post
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!
    By pushing the bullet further into the case, you've now RADICALLY ALTERED the OAL and case head pressure....and may very well have set the stage for a CATASTROPHE!!
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read that.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I trust the rounds. I pulled three of them and weighed both the bullets and powder. All primers match. Powder is Red dot, everything checks out. The guy just must have had his die set wrong or was using some cheap calipers to measure. I am not a noob at reloading and know what to do. These rounds are okay.

Yes, he is a bit green with centerfire guns and more green with pistols. But he is a crack muzzleloader. He knows guns well, he just got mad that this 1911 was messing up and benched it to take it to a gunsmith later. Well, later never came.

I told him that I will make his rounds from now on. He has all the equipment for loading rifle and pistol, just never really learned how. He wants me to teach him. Its a good trade, he is teaching me ML and I am teaching him reloading and defensive pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Like the others said don't even think about those reloads. You could easily destroy the gun or worse. Go buy a couple of boxes of good quality factory ammo. Maybe your friend will get the message, stick with factory ammo until you know more about guns and shooting. Right now I would be a real friend and recommend he get a revolver and then teach him how to take care of it. The semi-auto seems to be too complicated for him. That is not all bad. Clint Eastwood once said in a Dirty Harry movie that a good man knows his limitations. Personally I believe the wiseman operates within those limitations. The Springfield seems to be beyond his limitations at this time. He could learn the Springfield but right now it seems beyond him. I started with revolvers and it took a few years to expand my limitations to include semi-autos.

You posted while I was typing. Sounds like you have it under control. Teaching someone how to enjoy the "sport" can be very rewarding. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Sounds like your friend is someone who has no business owning a gun!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Your a good friend indeed. I know many that would have told him it was only good as a parts gun and them offered him a couple hundred dollars for it.

Michael
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!
    Agreed across the board...And very good stuff!

I too would not advocate using these rounds.
    Even as the weights might be within spec and the primers appear to be good.

Buy that guy a box of commercial training ammo such as WWB or heck even Remington UMC which is well known to be low quality would be better than these 'friend loads'.

While you're at it encourage that guy to sign up for a first level NRA handgun course.
    They will teach him proper firearm maintenance and have him do it rather than do it for him. As well he likely could use the help to learn how to properly handle a firearm and shoot too.

- Janq

P.S. - I personally would not have laid finger to his feed ramp even as it might have been rough.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I trust the rounds. I pulled three of them and weighed both the bullets and powder. All primers match. Powder is Red dot, everything checks out. The guy just must have had his die set wrong or was using some cheap calipers to measure. I am not a noob at reloading and know what to do. These rounds are okay.

Yes, he is a bit green with centerfire guns and more green with pistols. But he is a crack muzzleloader. He knows guns well, he just got mad that this 1911 was messing up and benched it to take it to a gunsmith later. Well, later never came.

I told him that I will make his rounds from now on. He has all the equipment for loading rifle and pistol, just never really learned how. He wants me to teach him. Its a good trade, he is teaching me ML and I am teaching him reloading and defensive pistol.
    Yep we where all green at one time.

As for the rounds it sounds like a poor selection and setup. Red dot is shot shell powder.... not all that great for pistol rounds. I would scrap the rounds and start fresh, but that's just me.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    NO they are not "ok!" They have the wrong powder and are set at the wrong OAL. You don't know if there are squibs in the bunch either. What you DO know is that they were not loaded correctly and were loaded by someone who didn't care enough to check his settings.

Best thing to do is pull every bullet and dump the powder. Then reload them with the right powder to the right specs.

BS. If he's a "crack muzzleloader" then he KNOWS to keep his guns clean. The fact that he let his 1911 get super gunky shows his expertise level more than anything. He's lazy and he got you to do his chores for him.

Great, teach him on the reloads. All he'll have to buy is powder and he'll get lots of experience. As for you, why were you checking function with LOADED AMMO????

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Great, teach him on the reloads. All he'll have to buy is powder and he'll get lots of experience. As for you, why were you checking function with LOADED AMMO????
    cause its really hard to check to see if a gun fires if you don't?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Great advice. No use trusting someone who already didn't follow a load recipe correctly.
    These ^. Definitely.
    A little cash for factory ammo or a little time for your own reloads beats a damaged gun or injured body part any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links