NRA Membership

NRA Membership

This is a discussion on NRA Membership within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a call from the NRA, and I'm thinking about getting a 5 year membership. I don't know too much about it, and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA Membership

NRA Membership

I got a call from the NRA, and I'm thinking about getting a 5 year membership. I don't know too much about it, and I was wondering what NRA members in this forum think about it.

I'm sure most of the fee's will go towards fighting the anti gun people, but are there any other benefits of being a member???

VIP Member

Good benefits

Among the many fine things the NRA does:
    • Police training
    • Gun safety training
    • Eddie Eagle program for kids
    • Discounts for car & travel
    • Member insurance
    • Group insurance rates for many shooting clubs

Pretty good monthly magazine "American Rifleman" that you can't buy on the news stand and that pesky fighting the gun grabbers thing they do. Go for the life membership if possible, I hope to do so before I have to re up.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The self-defense insurance policy available through the NRA is, in the words of my CCW instuctor, "the cheapest on the planet".
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

DrJ
    Absolutely worth the money in my opinion. The NRA is pretty much the only organization fighting to preserve the 2nd Amendment, and on top of that, the American Rifleman magazine is worth the cost of the membership by itself. Also included is insurance for your firearms.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It's got it's good and bad points, but overall, it's the best thing going in this country. I'm got to re-up here in another year or less, we'll see about this lifetime membership renewal then.

We've got to stay strong.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Ok...I'm convinced As soon as I get the paperwork, I will get my 5 year membership!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    It's got it's good and bad points, but overall, it's the best thing going in this country.
    Yes, this ^.

The NRA is like all organizations of its type. Once a certain critical mass is reached, significant amounts of money have to be diverted from "the cause" to "maintaining the organization". A lot of people gripe about the NRA HQ, the extravagance of its annual convention, and so forth. But it's a Catch-22: without "the show", it has a hard time recruiting members and schmoozing politicians.

The NRA is not perfect, and it is fairly moderate in its pro-gun stance, compared to the other organizations. But it's the 800-pound gorilla, and you want him on your side.

Nutshell: Worth the money.

Do it. I've been a member for 25 years.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While the upside is obvious, the downside is: be prepared to be inundated with mailings and e-mails.

I wish they'd cease the contests and junk mailings and spend that money on serving the NRAs stated purpose. Took me over a year to get them to stop sending me all the "offers" such a renewing my membership--one month after I joined (Hadn't even received the first magazine yet!).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    While the upside is obvious, the downside is: be prepared to be inundated with mailings and e-mails.
    That ^ is not true.
    All you have to do is opt out of the mailing list.
    And if you're already on it, just call 1-877-NRA-2000 and ask to be taken off. They will already have a few weeks of pre-labeled mail that will still filter out to you...but after that, it STOPS.
    You'll only get a membership expiration reminder about 4-6 weeks before yours expires.

I've been an NRA member for 50 years. The NRA has been the leader in the good fight to legalize concealed carry. If there were no NRA person could not legally own a BB gun in the US today.

Absolutely do it. Best chance of keeping our gun rights going.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Just consider it a subscription to a gun magazine. It's worth the price for that alone...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Not so to the "not so."

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    That ^ is not true.
    All you have to do is opt out of the mailing list.
    And if you're already on it, just call 1-877-NRA-2000 and ask to be taken off. They will already have a few weeks of pre-labeled mail that will still filter out to you...but after that, it STOPS.
    You'll only get a membership expiration reminder about 4-6 weeks before yours expires.
    And none of you reply is true in my case. In fact, it's the very reason I left the NRA years ago. I think I know better than you what I received and what actions I took. And I've seen others on the forums that had the same problems.

Opted out several times online, no effect. Called and complained (twice); told it would cease--did not. Received no less than five "offers for renewal" in the first year. Called a third time and informed them I wouldn't renew if they didn't stop. I guess they figured I was serious then. It ended. This went on much longer than any "few weeks."

Now I get my Magazine and should get a renewal in June.

My point is: spend the money protecting gun rights, not promoting contests, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links