Went to the range again. - Page 2

Went to the range again.

This is a discussion on Went to the range again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for all the advice! I'll try those tips out next time....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll try those tips out next time.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Slow it down, and make each round count. Every time you go to the range, have a plan and a goal for improving your shooting. Maybe pick just one thing you're going to work on, and do a few exercises to work on that skill.

It's all too easy to just head to the range and launch a few boxes or ammo downrange, with nothing to show for it. That's just ballistic masturbation - feels good, but that's all.

My suggestion is to shoot fewer rounds at a given target, maybe 50 tops, and score the target. Note the target with the gun, the ammo fired, the date and the distance. If you were doing a special drill, like weak-handed shooting, note that as well. When you get home, use your computer to record what you did and your score. Record the score as a percentage (e.g., for 10 shots, 5 in the 10 ring and 5 in the 8 ring would have a gross score of 90, with a possible of 100 = 90%). Then compare your scores over time, and see what kind of progress you're making. (I also photograph my targets to keep track of grouping as well as score.)

Another thing to keep in mind if you're serious about practicing to grow your skills - end each practice session by doing something you're good at. Finishing up the range session with the hardest drill of the day, or something entirely new, can leave you discouraged. Along the same lines, the last thing you shoot for the day should probably not be your big boomer, but maybe your full-size .38 or a .22.

Clint Smith ran a great article in his American Handgunner column a couple of years ago - "One Hundred Rounds." I won't reproduce it here for copyright reasons, but pm me and I'll send you my transcription of the article.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I also forgot to mention that I had a few rounds that didn't fire but after I ejected them and loaded them back into the magazine they did. Any ideas what that was all about?
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I also forgot to mention that I had a few rounds that didn't fire but after I ejected them and loaded them back into the magazine they did. Any ideas what that was all about?
    What are you shooting? ammo and gun
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Definitely slow down and focus on your sights. This target is 50 rounds that my 22 YO daughter shot with her G19. I make her shoot slow and concentrate on the sights. It's not great, but for a semi-nonshooter she can hold her own.

Quote Originally Posted by JLUSAF View Post
    What are you shooting? ammo and gun
    Sig Sauer P226 and range ammo. They sell hand loads, as well as being an indoor range/gun shop, and require use of their ammunition in rental guns due to liability.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    Definitely slow down and focus on your sights. This target is 50 rounds that my 22 YO daughter shot with her G19. I make her shoot slow and concentrate on the sights. It's not great...
    Mr. Chitlin, if young Miz Chitlin can decorate a target as nicely as that at a respectable distance, she's ahead of three fourths of the males of the species I see at the range. Nice work!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    A good day at the range is good for the soul.
    I often refer to it as "group therapy"...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Slow it down, and make each round count. Every time you go to the range, have a plan and a goal for improving your shooting. Maybe pick just one thing you're going to work on, and do a few exercises to work on that skill.

It's all too easy to just head to the range and launch a few boxes or ammo downrange, with nothing to show for it. That's just ballistic masturbation - feels good, but that's all.
    Awesome advice. Work on what makes sense for your needs. That target looks like the CHL targets here in Texas. You might want to get in the habit of shooting at the upper chest, not the x ring on those targets, as that is a more realistic point of aim.

Pistol-training.com has some good drills, the targets for some of those drills are in .pdf format so you can print them at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    Definitely slow down and focus on your sights. This target is 50 rounds that my 22 YO daughter shot with her G19. I make her shoot slow and concentrate on the sights. It's not great, but for a semi-nonshooter she can hold her own.

Maybe not great, but pretty darn good IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links