Went to the range again.

Went to the range again.

This is a discussion on Went to the range again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No video this time cause I went alone. First target was at about 15 yds. Second one was at 7 both semi-rapid fire and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to the range again.

Went to the range again.

No video this time cause I went alone. First target was at about 15 yds. Second one was at 7 both semi-rapid fire and I was aiming at the red circle the entire time. Any tips to improve my accuracy? I'm gonna start practicing regularly cause I'm trying to get a job in security and I have to pass a shooting test to get my license.

At 15 yards...

And at 7...

Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member
    What are you shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What are you shooting?
    Sig P226 with 9mm ammo loaded by the store owners.
    Ron Paul 2012

How well do you shoot when firing slow, aimed shots? Were you point shooting?

If your shooting for score, you could improve some.

If your shooting to stop the BG, job done.

Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    How well do you shoot when firing slow, aimed shots? Were you point shooting?
    Sorta. I kept my eye on the front sight and whenever I saw red I pulled the trigger. I don't think I've ever done real slow deliberate shooting. I pretty much always do semi-rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If your shooting for score, you could improve some.

If your shooting to stop the BG, job done.
    Thanks. I think they do keep score on the accuracy test for the job I'm going for, though, plus I think it's at like fifty yards. I've never even attempted a shot at that distance.
    Ron Paul 2012

A good day at the range is good for the soul.

Always remember to enjoy yourself.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Dry fire practice.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Slow down your firing rate until you can consistently place the shot where you're happy with it, then start increasing the rate.

Your scoring aside, that bulls-eye seems a bit low to me (read as flawed target, not flawed shooting).
    Crime should be outlawed.

Your grip technique is wrong. No groupings...your all over the target. Google to Todd Jerrett.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

It looks like you may be pushing to hard into it? I know with rifles when you start to see shots starting to make a perfect straight line (present in both targets) that's an issue.

I'd suggest working on your grip, it's awkward at first but after enough repetition it becomes clock work. Also you need to slow down. Focus on your breathing and making every shot count, you're at a range you can take your time. Breathing is a very important factor people don't take into consideration, and while it's more significant with rifle shooting it certainly matter when shooting a pistol.

You gotta learn to walk before you can run. Start out with slow, deliberate well aimed shots. Move up to double and tripple taps and then work on your rapid fire accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    Slow down your firing rate until you can consistently place the shot where you're happy with it, then start increasing the rate.

Your scoring aside, that bulls-eye seems a bit low to me (read as flawed target, not flawed shooting).
    i agree with this. trigger pull looks okay just be sure to focus on the front sight. learn the accuracy of your gun by slowing down, then you will be better with semi-rapid once you have the muscle memory and sight alignment down.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I wish I had the luxury of shooting 50k rounds for practice like the pros do.
    They get the best of everything match ammo for matches,same goes for barrels.I'd like to be able to do that for as long as it was fun.

Work on accuracy first, then speed up. If you work on speed first you just get bad habits to break. I use a straight thumbs forward grip and I am very happy with the results.

The Combat Handgun Grip

Once you know you can put them where you want slowly. You can start working on real world shooting, ie dumping rounds into the target fast. If you can get a .22 it will help greatly with accuracy. You don't have to worry about the recoil.

Honestly, that's close to what my recent targets look like. I am practicing point shooting now to about 7yrd. And working on 5 shot drills, 2 point shooting and 3 COM as fast as I can. So, in the real world it would work. But if you need to pass a test you have to practice for the test. That means accuracy. I doubt speed is a significant part of the test anyway.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

[QUOTE=BRTCP88;1572523]Sorta. I kept my eye on the front sight and whenever I saw red I pulled the trigger. I don't think I've ever done real slow deliberate shooting. I pretty much always do semi-rapid.

All the others have good points. And without being there to see what you are doing at the range it is near impossible for us to guess what you need in the way of advice. The only thing I would add to the others' comments: is SLOW DOWN and make sure you have the same SIGHT PICTURE every time you line up the sights. I mean the front sight fits in the rear sight the same way every time you squeeze the trigger (NO JERKING). Dang, I wish I could draw it here........ Focus on the sight picture and let the target seem out of focus in the background of your vision. If you have a consistent sight picture and a slow deliberate squeeze of the trigger...wha Lah at the target range. Once you are good there THEN move on to more speed and point shooting.

Just a thought, carry on trooper.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links