Sig Sauer 556 Range Report *PICS*

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 556 Range Report *PICS* within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went out today to break in my new Sig 556 with Sun Optics USA zero power sight, kinda looks like an ACOG but deffinitly isn't! ...

Thread: Sig Sauer 556 Range Report *PICS*

Went out today to break in my new Sig 556 with Sun Optics USA zero power sight, kinda looks like an ACOG but deffinitly isn't!
    All shots were at 50 yards with Monarch 55gr steel cased .223. Only one failure to fire out of 280 rounds. The striker hit the round but no combustion. I'm gonna blame the ammo, not the rifle.

After many, many, many, many, many adjustments I decided this was as close as I was going to get to a true zero

This was my second target after the zeroing in process. 30 rounds all inside the square!
    Pretty good grouping except for those two little wanderers there on the bottom right.

Third fresh target after zero. I was having trouble hitting the smaller squares in the corners because at the 50 yard mark the reticle completely occluded the target making it next to impossible to visualize. Then, out of nowhere I got the idea to reduce the intensity(power/brightness) of the reticle so I could kind of see thought it and still be able to put it on target. I couldn't believe it took me so long to figure that out....it seriously was like a light bulb moment, I felt kind of silly about not thinking of it sooner.
    After that minor adjustment I wore out that top right!!!!
    30 rounds in each square.

All in all I'd have to say that I am extremely pleased with the days events and the accuracy of my current set up. hopefully it will be just as accurate at 100 yards once I get either a powered scope or a magnafier for my current sight.
    ohhhhh the possibilities
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Have you tried shooting with irons? I wonder how much better you'd shoot. I think you would get better groupings--the rifle is capable of getting 1" groups or better at 50 yds
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

No, this was my first outing.
    I would like to try iron sights my next time out.
    Mine came with the Diopter and I'm interested to see how that works. I know I shot one hell of an M-16 with iron sights when I was in the Army all those years ago and would like to see how this more "modern" weapon compairs to my skills of yesteryear.

Quad Rail, stock on this unit.

Sun Optics USA zero power sight. $90.00 at last gun show, pretty decent for the price in my opinion.
    Also, the factory rotary Diopter iron sight.

The reticle of the Sun Optics sight

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I find it curious when there is a light primer strike of some sort and a failure to fire- we always blame the ammo. (not just you, but everyone). My take on it is the ammo goes in the firearm and both have to work together to get the job done. It might have just been a one in a million bad primer, but I would continue to investigate the cause and ensure the firing pin is clean and there are no burrs on it or the channel it runs in...

Nice photos!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I find it curious when there is a light primer strike of some sort and a failure to fire- we always blame the ammo. (not just you, but everyone). My take on it is the ammo goes in the firearm and both have to work together to get the job done. It might have just been a one in a million bad primer, but I would continue to investigate the cause and ensure the firing pin is clean and there are no burrs on it or the channel it runs in...

Nice photos!
    well, the best info I can provide in regards to that is that the FTF happened about half way though.
    The rest of the rounds went through without a hitch. Thats why I figured it was the round and not the weapon since it ate everything else that it was fed.

Thanks man!!

I like that Sun Optics sight. I may check into getting one of those for my AR. Good price too!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Nice range report on the Sig. Great photo's!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links