Build a 1911?

Build a 1911?

This is a discussion on Build a 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi was just curious if anyone on this form has built their own 1911 from a kit? I would like to own a 1911 in ...

Thread: Build a 1911?

Build a 1911?

Hi was just curious if anyone on this form has built their own 1911 from a kit? I would like to own a 1911 in the near future and got to thinking it would be nice to build it from a kit.

I would consider myself moderately mechanical minded, but I have no experience with a 1911 handgun. I would like to have a kit that is fairly simple to assemble and requires little filing and fitting.

If anyone knows of some good places to receive this information please pass it along.

1911forum/gunsmithing Have fun :)
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Fusion Firearms sells parts and kits, you might want to look there.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Advice #1, If you are doing it for the stated reason I say read te M1911 forum both the Technical and Gunsmithing section buy the fusion kit and go for it. You probably have the tools and skills required. If you are doing it to save money. save your money and buy a 1911 that is already built. In the end you will spend more money than a commercially built 1911 will cost you.

Advice #2 Don't get in a hurry, Read every thread in the m1911 forum in the stated sections. There is nothing hard about building a 1911. It can be fiddly at times and someimes you just want to pull your hair out.

Advice #3 This is the most important--"There Is No Such Thing As A Drop In Part Reguarding The 1911." Some parts will "drop in", some will not, However, the same part will not EVER drop into 2 differnet 1911's and work without some kind of fitting.

Have fun there is no better feeling than building your own 1911.
    P.S. I mention the Fusion kit because it can be bought with most all of the really tough stuff already finished/fitted for you at a semi reasonable price.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Administrator

I did it. I used an Essex frame from Brownells, bobtailed it, and put a Fusion slide and barrel on it. The internal parts were from various manufacturers. Everything had to be fit....it was an interesting project. The finished product is a Commander length 10mm. If I had to do it over, I'd do a 45ACP and use a Fusion or Caspian frame.

You could also buy an RIA or SA GI model and start with a working gun. You can change each and every part and probably come out the same money wise as if you started from scratch. Plus you'd learn a bunch about M1911 style guns in the process.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I built a 9mm 1911 using a Fusion Scout kit.

I have three pieces of advice for you:
    * Buy Kuhnhausen!
    * Buy Kuhnhausen!
    * Buy Kuhnhausen!

I think that about sums it up.

ETA: Might as well put some gun pr0n where it belongs. Grips courtesy of Sarge...
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 12th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

buying kuhnhausen is a VERY wise idea. volumes 1 and 2. read for a long time. read and study and price check and read and study some more. do it until you're sick of it. then do it some more. if you're going to build from the ground up, buy QUALITY. do not be tempted to settle just because it's cheaper or in stock. i prefer caspian when custom building.

decide if it's worth it to you to buy a frame that already has stuff like the ejector, plunger tube, magwell, etc., installed or if you want to do it yourself. whatever you decide, let me make this recommendation - BUY THE FRAME AND SLIDE TOGETHER AS A SET. most of the custom builders provide this opportunity. wilson and caspian in particular. doing this ensures proper fit and consistent quality.

nothing is drop in. ever. if it does, it's probably going to fail later. i loved building mine and can't wait to finish my second. awesome fun, but DO IT SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. reading the whole time.

post pics when done, can't wait to see it!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Thanks for all the advice. I am glad I posted, I think I have decided that I need to learn a lot more about 1911's before trying a project like this. Like "120mm" said I can get a Rock Island and then make modifications on it to learn. Maybe I'll be able to take on a project like this sometime in the future.

I would like to know what most people are getting Rock Islands for, it's nice to have an idea when shopping around.

You'll find literally TONS of reading material on building 1911s.....
    As others have said.....ABSORB (like a sponge!!!) as much information as you can before starting your project....and DO TAKE IT S-L-O-W!!!
    I'll also underscore doc's note (Advise #3) re: "drop-in" parts.....
    IMHO. like his.....NO SUCH THING!!! If you want lasting quality, ALL - EVERY - part will likely require SOME "fitting" in/on YOUR firearm to function at its best.....in short, "cheap" is just that -- you get what you pay for!!
    If you DO become involved with a 1911 build.....REMEMBER!!!!
    PICTURES ARE MANDATORY!!!!
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bombard16 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I am glad I posted, I think I have decided that I need to learn a lot more about 1911's before trying a project like this. Like "120mm" said I can get a Rock Island and then make modifications on it to learn. Maybe I'll be able to take on a project like this sometime in the future.

I would like to know what most people are getting Rock Islands for, it's nice to have an idea when shopping around.
    Gunbroker.com Belshires hardware $365.00

Bellshire's hardware

You probably won't be able to beat his deal. great to work with.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Links