For those that wear glasses

This is a discussion on For those that wear glasses within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you don't the provability that one day you wall is very high, my vision started to give me problems in my mid 40's. Our ...

View Poll Results: Do you practice WO your eye glasses?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes every time at the range.

27 25.71%
  • Nope never.

60 57.14%
  • I plan on it someday....

6 5.71%
  • Wall what Wall?

12 11.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that wear glasses

Question For those that wear glasses

If you don't the provability that one day you wall is very high, my vision started to give me problems in my mid 40's. Our dependence on our extra eyes varies from I just need them to read to wall what wall.....

So how many of you practice with your gun at the range sans glasses other than safety? My vision will let me ID and get a nice 3 dot on the front sight, but since my 20's I have practiced the hip shot, thanks to tin cans and cow pies anyplace I look I can reliably plant a round within my 30' go no go zone.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That's a very good point. I haven't practiced with my gun sans glasses, but I'll have to consider doing so. Maybe I'll start off with the airsoft guns.

Back when I was taking martial arts, I fought almost exclusively without glasses, and learned how to read people's movements even though they were very fuzzy. I imagine the same skills would translate to pistol.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Wow, I can't believe I never considered it. I believe I will start now. Thanks!
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

W/O Spectacles

I hadn't thought about this in a while, thanks for reminding me. My practice has gotten a little too mundane and needs to be more combat oriented. I might practice falling down, like from being hit from behind, and then see how I can get into action. I think I will try this unloaded first, and see if I can get up after falling down!!! When you get to be my my age, you never know if you fall down if you'll get up, or just get hauled off to the nursing home.
    If I'd known I was coming to a gun fight I would have brought my rifle. Since I don't have my rifle, I guess I will be using this gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I hadn't thought about this in a while, thanks for reminding me. My practice has gotten a little too mundane and needs to be more combat oriented. I might practice falling down, like from being hit from behind, and then see how I can get into action. I think I will try this unloaded first, and see if I can get up after falling down!!! When you get to be my my age, you never know if you fall down if you'll get up, or just get hauled off to the nursing home.
    Hey Old Man, welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.
    I'm with you, I need my glasses. I'm afraid to fall down, probably break somelthing.

Hiram - Thanks for the welcome. I fell down once and a person asked "Sir, do I need to call an ambulance?" I replied, "No, I just got tired walking and thought I would lie down for a while. Would you mind giving me a hand up?" Got to ask, Hiram, are you a Traveling Man?
    If I'd known I was coming to a gun fight I would have brought my rifle. Since I don't have my rifle, I guess I will be using this gun in my pocket.

i have to try it. thank you for bringing that up. i figure i would usually grab my glasses if i have time to... but god forbid i wake up to the sound of someone opening my bedroom door.... i may not have enough time.

I can actually see my sights better without my glasses then I can with them (lenses are to correct distance vision).

I practice both ways.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Does it count if you take your snubbie to the range and grab the reading glasses, instead of the prescription ones?
    That certainly was an interesting day
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well gee wiz Sheldon, you didn't give me an option in the poll.

I don't shoot without my glasses at every range session, but I do make it a point to shoot without my glasses on a fairly regular basis.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    I can actually see my sights better without my glasses then I can with them (lenses are to correct distance vision).

I practice both ways.
    Ditto!
    I remove my glasses for any up-close work (reading, computer, etc.) and found that the sights are too blurry when wearing them. Not so bad that I can't see them, but at the range I'd rather have a fuzzy target and clear sights then vice-versa. It doesn't make much difference grouping-wise, but I'm more comfortable without them.

In a real-world scenerio, glasses on or off isn't going to make much difference for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I voted every time I'm at the range, but that isn't accurate, I do it about every other time or so.

Well you guys know the rule of thumb, you will shoot as you practice in a crisis...
    So when at the range if you practice Mozambique, do the failure drills, tactical reloads, move n shoot, then removing your prescription lenses should just be part of the session.

After all we can never plan on when and just how things will go wrong Fogged lenses, rain, mud, sweat, oil, finger prints, dirt, bumped head and they fall off, broke them, lens popped out, BTDT as have us all, and need to be prepared for every possible scenario that can slap us in the face, and they are the weakest link in our defense system.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    90% of the time, readers. The other 10% safety glasses.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I always wear my glasses and in fact feel undressed with out them. This even extended to having a x ray once with them ON. Really embarrassed the nurse, as she did not notice either. I was recently helping a friend of the wife's shoot her gun, she was a real newbie but needed the gun for protection at home. She had really thick glasses and I had her take them off to shoot some because if she was sleeping I wanted her to know that she did not need to put them on before shooting. She did just fine and now she knows it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links