First Time Shooting, Nevermind with a .45

This is a discussion on First Time Shooting, Nevermind with a .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It was my girlfriend's first time shooting a gun bigger than a bb gun. The range we visited doesn't rent out guns, so her only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Shooting, Nevermind with a .45

First Time Shooting, Nevermind with a .45

It was my girlfriend's first time shooting a gun bigger than a bb gun. The range we visited doesn't rent out guns, so her only option was my Glock 36. The first shot was in the black. Had to get her to stop flinching and then she proceeded to hit the bullseye a few times. I don't think she would have a problem with carrying it if she decides she wants to carry and I end up getting a Series 70.
    Attached Images
    "I dont like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders."-Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

The Glock-36 is a smooth shooter, and all it will take is more practice for her to have one as an EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You could be running the possibility of getting her to be gun shy.
    She may have been amped up on addrenalin, the first time ;
    Second time out she may be more apprehensive, unless she doesn't scare easy.
    May go and get a heavy .357 mag. and run some .38's in it , a Dozen trips or so to the range, with that. JMO

Is a gambling problem still a problem if you always win?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Hmmm, thats not a really bad caliber to start with. Maybe not the best, but I like it. Compared to .357 or .40, not a lot of muzzle flip/flash

Encourage her, it will not be long before she starts giving you a run for your money!

My wife's first range trip she shot my .22 Mark II, .380 kel tec p3at, and S&W 456 .45. She liked the .45 the most! Then I moved to a 9mm, and she will be getting one soon. I definitely recommend a .22 pistol to work on form, grip, stance, etc. It's easier to correct an issue without having all the recoil to worry about.

And good for you for taking her out!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I like .45 ACP out of an M1911 for a first time shooter. They're small hand friendly, and the recoil impulse is gentle.

Plus the trigger isn't long and heavy.

if you want her to keep shooting, get her a nice easy to shoot 9mm. starting off with a 45 can get frusterating after a while.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    starting off with a 45 can get frusterating after a while.
    Yeah cause anything less than the .45 just doesn't feel right...I get ya.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Definitely a bit up-and-down on the pattern, but pretty good for the first time out. It would be interesting to see what happens if she put a couple hundred rounds through a .22 pistol to get the hang of the trigger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

ntg
    .22 and then 9mm IMO. I think shot anticipation issues are harder to cure if you don't get them use to shooting something that isn't prone to recoil sensitivities. Just my .02.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

We are both about the same size(130-160lbs) and she is just a few inches shorter than I am. She shot better her first time than I did my first time, so I am very impressed and let her know that many times.

She also was very safe with the gun, I didn't have to get after her for breaking the four rules.

When we stopped for ice cream on the way home she said she was nervous going into the range because "she had never shot a real gun before." She said that it was fun though and would like to go again.
    "I dont like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders."-Ted Nugent

I started my wife with a Ruger MII .22 and she mastered that. Now she shoots my lightweight .45's and my 686 snubby with HOT .357's AND LIKES IT. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Eagle View Post
    We are both about the same size(130-160lbs) and she is just a few inches shorter than I am. She shot better her first time than I did my first time, so I am very impressed and let her know that many times.

She also was very safe with the gun, I didn't have to get after her for breaking the four rules.

When we stopped for ice cream on the way home she said she was nervous going into the range because "she had never shot a real gun before." She said that it was fun though and would like to go again.
    FWIW...I shoot my 21SF better than my 17.....
    Until last year I'd NEVER shot a .45, either....
    Now a G36 is my EDC...and my SA Loaded is probably the most accurate (for me.....) out-of-box 1911 I'll ever own!!!
    While starting someone new to shooting with a .22LR has its merits...in your situation, it appears you're already well on the way to overcoming the "recoil" hurdle....so the rest of your "journey" may be a much smoother one!!!
    Good luck....and enjoy time together at the range....
    It doesn't get much better than that!!!

Atleast your uncle didn't have you shoot his 44mag. for the first time to shoot a gun. My Uncle gave me a Ruger 44mag when I was 8...I had no Idea what to expect. Shot it, and it left my hands, went over my head and landed on the edge of his pond and got all muddy....he was upset...and laughing at the same time.....I didn't find it too funny. My hands stung. Didn't touch a gun for several years after that thinking all guns were like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links