little help with 38 special

This is a discussion on little help with 38 special within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; nice looking one of a kind piece! a little cleaning and it'ss look good, i love the old guns, revos and semis, the workmanship and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: little help with 38 special

cmb
    nice looking one of a kind piece! a little cleaning and it'ss look good, i love the old guns, revos and semis, the workmanship and technology even in the early 1900's was awesome!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Well, i just officially learned more than I ever wanted to know about old S&W revolvers, but that was extremely interesting information nevertheless. I might try and find some spare time to do some extra reading. Thanks for the info.

OD*
    Great old classic you have there, Mike.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    bmcgilvray, fantastic posts, pictures and information!

With your mention of the 38/44 cartridge, I just had to...

1940 .38/44 Outdoorsman, w/Lew Sanderson stocks (wish I had the originals too).

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    That age of revolver I'll be surprised if it is indeed .38 Special. I would think it more likely that it is .38 S&W and not Special. Big difference.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    That age of revolver I'll be surprised if it is indeed .38 Special. I would think it more likely that it is .38 S&W and not Special. Big difference.
    Why would you think that? The .38 Special was introduced in 1899.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Why would you think that? The .38 Special was introduced in 1899.
    I have three of them, all in S&W.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

OD*
    I have three of them, all in S&W.
    OK, but what does the age of Mike's S&W have to do with it being a .38 S&W? "That age of revolver I'll be surprised if it is indeed .38 Special." And I'm not following you when you say you have three in .38 S&W, how does that apply to Mike's gun?

That and you can see .38 S&W Special CTG. on the barrel of the revolver.

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    That and you can see .38 S&W Special CTG. on the barrel of the revolver.
    OK, that part I didn't see. Maybe just in my part of the world the M&P's are more common in S&W than Special.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!

OD*
    Maybe just in my part of the world the M&P's are more common in S&W than Special.
    That very well could be the case, the M&Ps in .38Spl. are more common here.

~ Tiger McKee

bmcgilvray, fantastic posts, pictures and information!

With your mention of the 38/44 cartridge, I just had to...

1940 .38/44 Outdoorsman, w/Lew Sanderson stocks (wish I had the originals too).
    Yessir OD, by all means feature that one! I like it really well! You are very good about occasionally putting up yet another interesting piece. That Outdoorsman is nice, even without the original stocks. Those Lew Sanderson stocks look nice too and should be worth good money on their own. That revolver, kitted out that way, was the "cat's meow" for target shooting in its day.

That's the revolver for which the .38-44 cartridge was made. Lots of "meat" around those charge holes in that cylinder. An N-Frame revolver chambered for .38 Special is stout since it was later used to create the Model 29 .44 Magnum. I imagine it is a tack driver. Do you ever take it out for exercise?

Many references and some gun writers incorrectly state that the .38 Special cartridge originated in 1902. The oldest reference that I have found to have this incorrect information is a "Gun Trader's Guide" from the 1970s. Perhaps that is the source for this wrong origination date for .38 Special.

I once had a Smith & Wesson Military & Police Special that shipped in December of 1899. It had a 3-digit serial number and was chambered for .38 Special. I let it get away in a batch of guns sold to acquire a collectible car.

The oldest one I have now is this scruffy nickel 5-inch .38 Special that dates from 1904. The finish is raggy but the bore and the lock work is perfect. From 1899 to 1905 the Military & Police only came with the round butt. In 1905 the square butt configuration was introduced. Both were produced simultaneously for many years.

These revolvers, and all Smith & Wesson revolvers with swing out cylinders, regardless of the frame size were once also termed by the factory to be Hand Ejector models. I don't suppose the term "Hand Ejector" survived World War II.

I once set out to collect a Military & Police/Model 10 revolver from every decade that they were in production. A couple have gotten away though. Besides the Model of 1899, I no longer have one from the 1980s. I've never acquired one made after 2000 either. I have gathered examples from 1904, 1918, 1926, 1930, 1943, 1951, 1954, 1964, 1971, 1975, and 1996. I think it's neat that they are still being produced 111 years later, though the current Model 10 has the wretched lock.

Here's a decent round butt 4-inch from 1918.

Wow

thanks to all
    especially BMCGILVRAY.
    i will take your advice on the grips and finish. i think i will just leave it looking good-n-used.
    i was thinking i just had some old 38 special. but now i feel much better knowing more about the revolver.
    i picked up a box of wwb 38 special ammo, even before i posted and didnt think i should by plus P.
    again thanks for taking the time to learn me about this shooting iron.
    once cleaned up i will get some more pics. could take a few weeks as $$$ is pretty tight and job is slow.
    i do have another gun from gramps. cz modell 27 pistol. serial numbers date that one to around 1939. has the nazi eagle stamp. thats another post another day.
    regards
    Mike

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yessir OD, by all means feature that one! I like it really well! You are very good about occasionally putting up yet another interesting piece. That Outdoorsman is nice, even without the original stocks. Those Lew Sanderson stocks look nice too and should be worth good money on their own. That revolver, kitted out that way, was the "cat's meow" for target shooting in its day.

That's the revolver for which the .38-44 cartridge was made. Lots of "meat" around those charge holes in that cylinder. An N-Frame revolver chambered for .38 Special is stout since it was later used to create the Model 29 .44 Magnum. I imagine it is a tack driver. Do you ever take it out for exercise?
    Thank you Sir.

The ol' girl is extremely accurate, with most any load I've tried, it was my Dad's and he did use it in competition at Camp Perry, years ago. It does get exercised a little, but rarely anymore.

I would love to get my hands on your 1918 M&P, that is a thing of beauty.

~ Tiger McKee

update

Hello All
    had the 38 checked out today and it was given the A o.k.
    was told the gun mechanically is in very good condition. tight without much use.
    so i put 50 rounds through her and it was unbelieveably smooth and accurate with single action. not bad either with DAO.
    this is from a bit of a novice.
    also shot my 1 day old CW9, put 100 through it without a single failure to do anything. this was very re-assuring.
    followed the instructions in the kahr manual.
    My brother was along with his kimber pro carry 11 and was very suprised with my one hand shooting of the 38 special as was I as i put 6 rounds into a 2-3'' circle at 15 ft.
    my first time shooting a 1911. pretty impressive but the cocked and locked thing is not for me.
    thanks again for the previous info.
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links