What's the proper way to transport a gun...

This is a discussion on What's the proper way to transport a gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; on a plane? I have a buddy of mine who is buying a gun, within the same state, and is flying to pick it up. ...

Thread: What's the proper way to transport a gun...

What's the proper way to transport a gun...

on a plane?

I have a buddy of mine who is buying a gun, within the same state, and is flying to pick it up. How will he need to transport it to get it back home?
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

2. Remove Ads

I think the answer will depend on commercial / private flight. Commercial / private airport.

* TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    * TSA Public Education Fact Sheet TRANSPORTING FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION ABOARD COMMERCIAL AIR CARRIERS
    * NRA-ILA : Airline Transportation of Firearms
    * How to Fly, With a Firearm, Following TSA Regulations | eHow.com

Additionally reference the specific rules of the airline carrier you have selected as they may apply additional and more restrictive rules as a matter of business policy.
    As well check the laws for the state where you are expecting to land as related to firearm possession and/or carry.

TSA regs + Airline rules + Destination state laws = Answer

- Google: 'tsa firearms'

P.S. - Why not save himself a lot of time & expense and have the gun shipped via common carrier (UPS) from the seller to his FFL or if lawful in his state himself direct?
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    What Janq said...

The main issue with the specific airlines is how they treat ammo. TSA lets you put ammo in the same locked case as the gun (unloaded gun, magazines packed alongside, basically), but some airline policies specify ammo separate from guns.

I have flown with my guns a number of times now with few problems (having my luggage not show up at the destination at the same time I do constitutes a problem, but that is not firearm specific).

I did have to turn over my keys on one return trip because I managed to leave a loose round out of the magazines when I packed for the return trip. TSA pulled that one round and everything else went through just fine.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    * TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    * TSA Public Education Fact Sheet TRANSPORTING FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION ABOARD COMMERCIAL AIR CARRIERS
    * NRA-ILA : Airline Transportation of Firearms
    * How to Fly, With a Firearm, Following TSA Regulations | eHow.com

Additionally reference the specific rules of the airline carrier you have selected as they may apply additional and more restrictive rules as a matter of business policy.
    As well check the laws for the state where you are expecting to land as related to firearm possession and/or carry.

TSA regs + Airline rules + Destination state laws = Answer

- Google: 'tsa firearms'

P.S. - Why not save himself a lot of time & expense and have the gun shipped via common carrier (UPS) from the seller to his FFL or if lawful in his state himself direct?
    I told him the same thing...I think he's just trying to complicate things. He's flying up to get the gun and has to rent a car as well. Doesn't make sense...
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Is he a pilot and just looking to get some hours in his private plane? If so I can see the logic, if not then I'll agree with the FFL being the better route.

For what he'll spend with air fair and car rental he could purchase another weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    For what he'll spend with air fair and car rental he could purchase another weapon!
    Right!?!

Outside of having to be there anyway for work or some other personal business of high regard, the hassle is just not worth it when UPS will do the job for like $50 or less.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links