Sig 1911?

This is a discussion on Sig 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wanted to know opinions on the sig 1911? I have the chance to trade my glock 19 which I love plus 350 for the ...

Thread: Sig 1911?

Sig 1911?

Just wanted to know opinions on the sig 1911? I have the chance to trade my glock 19 which I love plus 350 for the sig. I have always wanted a 1911 and this seems a prety good deal to me, I can always pick up a 19 rather easily and cheap. Also could do the same glock plus 350 for a bushmaster ar. It has quad rails and collapsible buttstock. They are both in great shape, what say ye all?

2. Remove Ads

Run a search....It's been covered in depth before, and recently.

Both Kazzersys and myself (original gen. 1 railed Sig Sauer 'GSR') own one and we love them.
    Full detail storys provided as within past posts.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

buy both outright and keep the glock

I recently completed a small gunsmithing project on a Sig "TTT" 1911. Nice gun overall, but with some odd quirks. After I finished with it, it is a great shooter, and the young man who owns it is quite happy, but at the price point of that model, I was a little disappointed with the amount of work it needed.

LeVick,

Can you be more specific in detail...What odd quirks and work needed?
    They are exact same as any other 1911 in function and internals...Just having a squared slide profile (and thus not fitting most conventional 1911 profile holsters).

My unit is the old/original version made from off the shelf top line 1911 components hand assembled to spec by Sig. Caspian cast SS frame & slide with Storm Lake barrel. A factory custom at the sub $2K price point.
    The most accurate handgun I've ever owned in my hand and most every other I've let handle mine.

The new/current generation Sig 'Revolution' series is also straight up 1911 components by internals only now IIRC Sig makes all the parts and pieces including the barrel, frames & slides themselves.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    A lot depends on the model it is. Sig 1911's new carry a MSRP between $1000-1450. I had a 1911 RCS 4.25" barrel that I loved and it shot well. Unfortunately due to hard times was forced to sale it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's a gsr revolution. Has a stainless slide and a blued frame. I talked to the owner just a few min ago and I think I am gonna do it.

Rail or no rail?

I can tell you the rail version is heavy and makes for the heaviest 1911 made to date.
    For years now I've been EDCing mine with regularity...But being honest it's not something most people would want to do as relative to say a Glock or any other plastic or alloy gun. It's a lot of steel...But it soaks up recoil real nice too.

I recently swapped in a Sprinco tactical spring (Google Alan Duggar) on mine and recoil is so low that two SOs watching me shoot it asked what caliber it was and if it was a 9MM (!).

As with any used gun purchase though do a full and detailed mechanical inspection as well as function check FIRST before handing over cash and/or firing. If you have no clue what to do for either of these then hire a competent 1911 gunsmith to do same for you. 1911s in general are not generic like Sig Classic series or Glock auto pistols.

Caveat Emptor

- Janq

No rail

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Hey Yankeeman. You have some good taste in baseball teams, there!

The SIG 1911 can be a great gun, but I will throw out a couple of caveats. My g/f has a 2nd gen 5" Stainless GSR Revo (railed) as her IDPA gun, and has been shooting it for a couple of years. It is an incredibly accurate gun.

First, you'll want to shoot it enough out of the box to make sure it doesn't have extractor issues. My g/f's GSR went back to SIG because of FTE issues when she first got it, but was fine after the extractor was replaced.

Last year, after about 5k rounds through the gun, we sent it off to Grayguns for some action work and other tweaking. In the course of their detailed examination of the gun, they discovered that the hammer pivot pin hole was ever-so-slightly off-center, and they replaced the hammer. This never caused any issues for us, but it probably would have led to premature wear on the hammer and slightly irregular wear to the back of the frame.

At about 6k rounds, two more issues developed. First, the little manhole cover screw on the right side of the slide worked loose and actually allowed the firing pin block to fall out. That caused a hard stoppage in the gun and a slight ding to the back of the frame. When I was dealing with that, the thumb safety (which is, apparently, of notoriously thin material) slipped under the plunger spring and became inoperable. The pressure of the thumb safety wedging up against the plunger spring managed to work the plunger tube loose from its staking.

We chose to have Grayguns do the repairs (nothing that broke was anything they had worked on, but as a gun that had been in their shop they offered to cover the shipping and do the repairs only for the cost of parts) and everything seems right again with the GSR. It's as disgustingly accurate as it ever was.

Given, though, that there have been some QC issues with this particular model from SIG, I would suggest you get it detail stripped and looked at by a good 1911 'smith, and possibly get the thumb safety replaced before it causes any problems.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Kazz,

I had the _exact_ same issue occur to my slide regarding the manhole cover. Same result too exactly as you describe.
    Occurred within the third month that I'd had the gun.

Sent it back to Sig and they called me to say the error was in QC that the manhole cover is supposed to be threaded down using Loctite red (permanent grade) and appeared to have no such application.
    Rather than fix & repair they replaced the entire upper (!) under warranty. Have not had an issue since.

I've had mine since the GSR first debuted and in that time I've sent it in four times (once every other year), per my norm with guns, for a general inspection akin to what you did via Bruce.
    In the case of Sig they have each time replaced parts for _free_ under warranty. I was not expecting as much as was ready to pay but they refuse my money and consistently cover things gratis.

My list of items replaced through the years...

Extractor, hammer, hammer strut, safety, plunger & plunger spring, slide & barrel (Gen 1) and every time they have replaced my recoil, firing pin and hammer spring as well as retuned the trigger down to 4.5# at my request several years ago.

Again...No out of pocket cost, and they issue me a an RMA with a Fedex shipping label covering the outbound transport.
    I have never paid a dime for the gun beyond it's original purchase.

Many of the original Caspian frame GSRs had hammer lean which was and is nothing but a visual item. Which you really have to look hard for to discern.
    The frames as reported by Bruce sometimes have a not perfectly true/straight hole to hole relationship for the hammer pin but he reports seeing same on some of the Classics as well.
    My own hammer as current has this but you would be hard pressed to tell by looking at it with hammer down or back.
    It's only apparent by looking at the face of the hammer itself or the firing pin stop. The impact force wear mark (a coloration tint) shows the slight angle on both. Neither the hammer nor the firing pin or frame will wear though as all are made from very hard stainless steel.
    If the frame were cast aluminum (Kimber & Colt) I'd wonder about wear potential.

My gun is run hard and has seen nothing but hard use with a high round count which I estimate to be in the high 40s to low 50 thousands by now. Aside from the manhole I've never had a functional issue never mind stoppage.
    The other parts replaced by Sig through the years were not to my eye worn nor non-functional with exception of the original extractor face having developed a chip (which I'd noted to them in a note during a return). Sig though would contact me directly by phone or leave a long detail in the returned unit explaining that they felt it appropriate.

I do agree springs should be swapped out with regularity on a gun that is fired often...But until late I've never had to pay for that myself thanks to Sig warranty servicing.

Currently my gun has an STI flat trigger with Tri-Glide trigger bow and as mentioned Sprinco tactical high wear rating recoil spring.
    I switched both the GSR and my SA 9MM to these parts and have been happy. Had the work done though by a local to me gunsmith and retained a 4.5# trigger pull.

I would buy one of these again without second thought.
    Especially considering they cost less now at MSRP than they used to when they first debuted.

But then being completely honest I have my heart and eyes set on a Springfield 'Professional'.

It's a dead heat tie with me between Sig and Springfield for best customer service.
    Both have been pretty much no questions asked with an attitude of we'll make it right and not make you wait either. Typically Sig has turned my gun around from out my door to back to my door (certified Fedex depot pickup) within 7 calendar days.
    Oppositely for example Colt to whom I've done same for inspection, parts replacement and repairs took the last time around 2.5 _months_ to get my gun back to me...And gave me excuses when I'd call of we're really busy right now and it's first come first serve just wait. : \

January 2010
    L to R:
    * Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded 'Target' 9MM
    * Sig Sauer Gen. 1 'GSR' 1911 .45 ACP (Purchased Summer '04 used like NIB @ 99% to my then gunsmiths eye from a SigForum member who had ~200rds. on it as a warranty replacement against a prior unit)
    * Springfield Armory 1911 Gen 1. 'TRP' .45 ACP full dust cover (On loan to me by another to evaluate and compare to the GSR per his request..He'd bought it used as his first 1911)

- Janq

P.S. - My gun is satin finish rather than the black Nitron...And by that the slide shows holster wear. Generally I do not care about this even as others at SigForum and elsewhere get all bent about it. A gun is to be used not oggled from inside a safe. It's a tool is my view.
    But anyway every time I send it in to Sig they do something to the slide that cleans it up real nice. It's not to my eye new looking but it's not as it went either. To other folks eye though even as recent as 3 wks. ago they comment that it looks new and wonder how for being so old and seeing me shoot it all the time why it's not all beat up and finish worn.
    Thank you Sig! : )

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Janq, I am sure that trigger is a great accessory, but for all the world it looks like it was made by Lego!

I will agree with you on SIG customer service. I believe I have sent two guns back, including the GSR for its FTE issues (though the second one is escaping me at the moment; problem of having so many SIGs, I guess ), and the turn-around and both was prompt and professional.

The only reason we didn't use them for the second set of repairs on the GSR was that Grayguns made their generous offer to cover shipping and labor; Roy at GGI basically said he felt he ought to have caught the manhole cover and thumb safety issue when they'd worked on the gun previously.

By the way, if I never posted it, I'll have to dig up pics of the hard-tail conversion we had GGI do to it. What a sweet mod for a 1911!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I know...The flat trigger does look pretty well wacky/odd IRL.

I went with medium length full flat inserts.
    They sell conventional curved as well as half curved with flat on the top or bottom of the trigger face.
    For my finger length and hand size this was the sweet spot...Even as it does look a bit goofy.

The manhole cover item i pretty well known and reported among Sig GSR Gen 1 type slides as being an item to catch.
    Sig no longer uses that method and the slides are now without the manhole.

Do post pics of your conversion...I'd LOVE to see that!

- Janq

P.S. - I've had thee Sigs and Two SAs so far...Nothing but happiness and would definitely buy again.
    Colt on the opposite end sucks. I have no other way to put it. Everything about the experience with them has been underwhelming at best.

Links