Should you field strip and clean...

This is a discussion on Should you field strip and clean... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a new gun from the factory before you get out and shoot it? I've heard several schools of thought and wanted pick the brain trust ...

Thread: Should you field strip and clean...

Should you field strip and clean...

a new gun from the factory before you get out and shoot it? I've heard several schools of thought and wanted pick the brain trust here.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    a new gun from the factory before you get out and shoot it? I've heard several schools of thought and wanted pick the brain trust here.

Yes!

I heard that the oils that are applied at the factory are shipping and shelf life. Not for shooting. Is this correct?
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

YES!

Most firearms are shipped with a moderate to heavy packing grease (some are worse than others! ) to inhibit rust while they're sitting on the shelf. IMO, it's always a good idea to clean up this grease off the gun and *lightly* oil it before you ever put a round through it. I always tear my firearms down when I first get them....not only to clean them up, but to familiarize myself with the workings.

VIP Member
    Always a good idea. That way you also "get to know" the gun before you shoot it.

The only partial exception I can think of is the yellowish grease on the slides of new GLOCKs. Don't remove that. Just let it work in over time.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Lead Moderator
    Also if something got missed during quality control you have a chance of noticing. Better to take the time cleaning than risk a Kb.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll add some fuel to the fire here ... there are at least two high-end 1911 makers that specify that you must NOT clean your pistols for the first 500 rounds. They want the powder residue to act as a bit of a fine polishing compound to help with the final "lapping" if you will.

The makers in question are Les Baer and Wilson Combat.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    I'll add some fuel to the fire here ... there are at least two high-end 1911 makers that specify that you must NOT clean your pistols for the first 500 rounds. They want the powder residue to act as a bit of a fine polishing compound to help with the final "lapping" if you will.

The makers in question are Les Baer and Wilson Combat.
    Hmmmm, if that's the case, it would change my mind about buying one of their pistols. That's just me, and I'm NOT bashing them, I just feel that if the barrel needs to be lapped, the manufacturer should lap it before they sell it.

To answer the original question, yes...I make sure every firearm I fire is clean when I go to shoot it... new, or used, or mine, and especially anyone elses........
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I clean all of my guns before initial shooting. Then I lubricate the rails and rack the slide about 100 times. It has worked very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Hmmmm, if that's the case, it would change my mind about buying one of their pistols. That's just me, and I'm NOT bashing them, I just feel that if the barrel needs to be lapped, the manufacturer should lap it before they sell it.

To answer the original question, yes...I make sure every firearm I fire is clean when I go to shoot it... new, or used, or mine, and especially anyone elses........
    Two of the best 1911 manufacturers in the business. Some, including me, would argue that Wilson is outright - the best. If you think they're doing something wrong, might I suggest you start your own company and do it better.

Good luck with that one.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

a new gun from the factory before you get out and shoot it?
    I do, for two reasons:
    • So that I know for a fact what my starting point is.
    • So that I avoid safety issues that might exist on a firearm with which I am unfamiliar.

I have no idea how long a new gun might have sat on the shelf, so I have no idea whether it's even lubricated right now. With either a used or new gun, there's no telling whether some sort of packing grease/lube was used on the gun prior to selling it to me. I don't know whether the gun has some sort of problem that could be seen via a simple function check and strip/lube procedure. The only way to be fairly sure is to check. Can't do that well without stripping and lubricating the gun.

Besides, it's how I was trained. I would be committing a minor disrespect to my old instructors if I ignored the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    there are at least two high-end 1911 makers that specify that you must NOT clean your pistols for the first 500 rounds. They want the powder residue to act as a bit of a fine polishing compound to help with the final "lapping" if you will. The makers in question are Les Baer and Wilson Combat.
    That's interesting. Didn't know that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always do.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yes. You don't know how much or how little oil/grease was added before shipment (or when it was last shot/cleaned by a previous owner). Take the time to learn your firearm--fieldstrip, degrease, re-lubricate, re-assemble, function-check. Figure out what "normal" is--that way you're not trying to figure out how to do something at the range as basic as fieldstripping...or as others have pointed out, checking the QC before a KB.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Meh, I didn't do it for my 5 shot and my Sigma but I did with both of my M&Ps. With my full sized M&P, it looked like Smith and Wesson drowned the gun in oil LOL
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

YES, I always fieldstrip, clean and relube any new gun from the factory.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Links