Shooting Day w/ friends

Shooting Day w/ friends

This is a discussion on Shooting Day w/ friends within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Three of my friends and I went to a buddy's farm a few miles down the street and shot for several hours. What a blast!!! ...

Thread: Shooting Day w/ friends

Shooting Day w/ friends

Three of my friends and I went to a buddy's farm a few miles down the street and shot for several hours. What a blast!!! We all packed various things and tried some new stuff. Here's what all we shot:

Handguns:
    Ruger P95, Bersa Thunder 9UC, Taurus PT709, Glock 23, SA XD40sc, Beretta Tomcat, Bersa Thunder 380, Kel Tek 380, Ruger SP101 357, Ruger LCR, S&W 442, S&W 36, Ruger Super Black Hawk
    Long Guns:
    SKS 7.62, Marlin Lever 357, Mossberg 500 pistol grip pump 12 ga

We all got to shoot things we haven't shot before. We had shoot and see stick on targets on cardboard mounted to real estate signs and I had a spinner target with 5 inch steel plates.

A few takeaways from the day:
    1) I need a folding long stock on the 12 ga. 5 shots of magnum 00 buck and my right hand was throwing up the white flag.
    2) The SP101 will take more practice. 38s are a breeze, but 357s are still hard to hit consistent groups...and kick like a mule...hand cannon.
    4) .357 magnum rounds left indentions in the steel plates, the 9mm, 38s, and 40s didn't.
    5) 380s are handy little pistols.

I put 100 more rounds through the Bersa Thunder 9UC and it's a really good shooter. From 15 yards, I was hitting the 5" steel plates 70% of the time. Functioned flawlessly other than I found 1 mag that the slide doesn't lock back on the last round. Marked it for range use only.

Put 50 more rounds through the PT709 and it was flawless (up to 900 total now, no issues). I wasn't as accurate with it as usual, but I've been shooting a lot of different guns lately.

Put 100 more rounds through the XD40sc (300 total rounds, flawless performance) and from 15 yards the accuracy was great. On shoot-n-see targets, I was eating up the middle. I love this gun!!!

Finally, The Ruger P95. My most accurate and trusted handgun. My groundhog hunting gun. I put 100 rounds through it today flawlessly and from 15 yards I was hitting the 5" steel plates at will. Flipping them up, then shooting the back to flip them down. Alternating plates and between plates and targets. On shoot-n-see targets, eating the middle orange dot like it was candy. For fun, my buddy wanted me to back up a bit...to 30 yards, and try the steel plates. No problem...hit 4 out of first 5. So we backed up to 40 yards. Hit 3 out of the next 5. For some reason, this gun sets up perfect for me. I can't do that with any other that I own. I just may have to start CC it again (although it is a little big for CC).

Spent a couple hours detail cleaning and lubing them all, only bad thing about taking a lot of stuff shooting. Using Gunzilla now, and I like the one product approach. Seems to do better the second time you clean with it than the first. Perhaps a cummulative effect.

I still can't get the black off of the front of the cylinder of my Stainless Steel Ruger SP101 or from around the forcing cone. Tried bore cleaner, CLP, Gunzille, brushes, soaking, etc. and can't get it off. Any ideas?

It was a great day. Too bad I gotta go back to work tomorrow.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds like a marvelous day!

Try some Flitz and a terry cloth rag (old washcloth)..worked for me to remove fouling from a ss handgun.

I've found brake cleaner to be real handy in that regard. Not sure of the long term ramifications from using it, but I haven't noticed any damage. One word of advice, make sure you get it all off before firing. Depending on which one you're using when it heats up it can turn into a nasty gas (phosgene namely), so don't go shooting immediately after using it.

Try a pencil eraser to remove the black-it works for me!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Sounds like fun! You can't beat outdoor practice.

".357 magnum rounds left indentions in the steel plates, the 9mm, 38s, and 40s didn't."
    Is your SP101 a 2 1/4" or 3"?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Try a pencil eraser to remove the black-it works for me!
    Yup, swifty recommended this to me a while back, and it works like a champ!

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Sounds like fun! You can't beat outdoor practice.

".357 magnum rounds left indentions in the steel plates, the 9mm, 38s, and 40s didn't."
    Is your SP101 a 2 1/4" or 3"?
    2 1/4". Using 158 gr FMJ flat nose. The 9mm was 115 gr FMJ round nose and the 40 was FMJ (forget the gr.). All fired from 15 yards (except for the long range shots with the Ruger P95 9mm).

"2 1/4". Using 158 gr FMJ flat nose. The 9mm was 115 gr FMJ round nose and the 40 was FMJ (forget the gr.). All fired from 15 yards (except for the long range shots with the Ruger P95 9mm)."

Thanks, that's an interesting observation. I'm going to try that - I just got an SP101 2 1/4" and I really like it. It's a blast to shoot and it conseals well.

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    "2 1/4". Using 158 gr FMJ flat nose. The 9mm was 115 gr FMJ round nose and the 40 was FMJ (forget the gr.). All fired from 15 yards (except for the long range shots with the Ruger P95 9mm)."

Thanks, that's an interesting observation. I'm going to try that - I just got an SP101 2 1/4" and I really like it. It's a blast to shoot and it conseals well.
    I'll try to take some pics and post. I was surprised as well.

Range Day

My favorite kind of day at the range. Shooting many different firearms. You either find a new undiscovered gem or enforce your choice of best for you gun. Either way fun and friendship are had to beat!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Put 100 more rounds through the XD40sc (300 total rounds, flawless performance) and from 15 yards the accuracy was great. On shoot-n-see targets, I was eating up the middle. I love this gun!!!
    I have to agree! I just got this gun and I REALLY like it. Probably my favorite of all guns I have shot (or at least in the top 3!) I just wish they would have used a wider mag so you could get 10 or 11 rounds in there. My buddy has the xd in 45 compact 4inch and even with the bigger rounds, he gets 10 in there. the gun is so close to the same size as the subcompact except for the little longer barrel
    XD40sc & LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
    I have to agree! I just got this gun and I REALLY like it. Probably my favorite of all guns I have shot (or at least in the top 3!) I just wish they would have used a wider mag so you could get 10 or 11 rounds in there. My buddy has the xd in 45 compact 4inch and even with the bigger rounds, he gets 10 in there. the gun is so close to the same size as the subcompact except for the little longer barrel
    The short mag holds 9 (+1 in the chamber) and the extended mag with grip boot holds 12 (+1 in the chamber). If you like a few more rounds, try to find a way to conceal it with the extended mag. I like the versatility of both mags. I typically carry and shoot the short mag, but it shoots well with either one.

Links