Delta force goes to 9mm

Delta force goes to 9mm

This is a discussion on Delta force goes to 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the several books on the Army's secret Delta force (after which the TV series "The Unit" is based), it is mentioned that they switched ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Delta force goes to 9mm

Delta force goes to 9mm

In the several books on the Army's secret Delta force (after which the TV series "The Unit" is based), it is mentioned that they switched from using .45-cal pistols to 9mm.

I surmise that is because these guys are perhaps the best combat shooters in the world, shooting of millions of rounds in highly realistic practice scenarios. (Practice makes perfect.)

In that case, it makes little difference what caliber the round is that enters the perp's eye socket, but being able to carry 17 rounds instead of 6-8 does make a big difference.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

From what i understand they switch pistols and caliber for mission specific use

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    'Inside Delta Force' is more than a little dated. Haney was the first CSM for Delta. He's been retired for quite some time now. Nothing in that book should be considered current, by any stretch of the imagination.
    awoodpd13 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholzel
    In the several books on the Army's secret Delta force (after which the TV series "The Unit" is based), it is mentioned that they switched from using .45-cal pistols to 9mm.

I surmise that is because these guys are perhaps the best combat shooters in the world, shooting of millions of rounds in highly realistic practice scenarios. (Practice makes perfect.)

In that case, it makes little difference what caliber the round is that enters the perp's eye socket, but being able to carry 17 rounds instead of 6-8 does make a big difference.
    You are right,I did switch to a 9mm.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Avoid what you hear and learn about from the television shows like the plague. Most Special Operation Units such, Seal, Para Rescue, Force Recon..etc still issue slabsides in .45 Cal....or some other platform.
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Avoid what you hear and learn about from the television shows like the plague.
    You forgot the internet as well....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
    The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Just a side comment about the post ....Alot of people say " practice makes perfect " As a friend of mine says which i agree with .....' Practice makes Permament " the reason i think that if u train bad habits thats what u will learn bad habits.

Was kinda off the subject but i thought i would throw it in .

Perfect practice makes perfect

Why are all the high speed low drag Marine special units going to the custom tricked out Kimbers and such? I don't know if I believe it.

If they weren't limited to ball ammo in the 9mm, I could Almost believe it.

They know from Afghanistan and Iraq what poor performer 9mm ball is.
    oldman45, gatorbait51 and Yetiman like this.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    Why are all the high speed low drag Marine special units going to the custom tricked out Kimbers and such? I don't know if I believe it.

If they weren't limited to ball ammo in the 9mm, I could Almost believe it.

They know from Afghanistan and Iraq what poor performer 9mm ball is.
    It's true that nothing beats the .45 in stopping a perp in his tracks--especially if you are not that great of a shot. But if--like the Delta Force guys--you are a perfect shot, able to hit your target time and again under all sorts of conditions--then it makes sense (to me) to carry more rounds rather than fewer, since an excellent shot with a 9mm round will kill a BG just as well as an excellent shot with a .45.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    From what i understand they switch pistols and caliber for mission specific use
    That's my understanding, too, and there must be a big list to choose from. I've heard everything from Glock 26 to HKP7M8 through 1911s and the big HK with the suppressor, based on a great opportunity I had a couple years ago to chat with some Navy Specwar guys. I got the impression that any of these kinds of experts could use about anything and get the job done.
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.

sometimes a 9mm HP will expand.....

but a .45 will not get smaller
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    Why are all the high speed low drag Marine special units going to the custom tricked out Kimbers and such?
    Det-1 ordered 100 Kimber, MEU(SOC) ordered 150 Springers.

General Information

Document Type: Special Notice
    Solicitation Number: M67854-05-M-1038
    Posted Date: Feb 15, 2005
    Original Response Date: Mar 16, 2005
    Current Response Date: Mar 16, 2005
    Original Archive Date: Mar 31, 2005
    Current Archive Date: Mar 31, 2005
    Classification Code: 10 -- Weapons
    Naics Code: 332994 -- Small Arms Manufacturing

Contracting Office Address
    Department of the Navy, United States Marine Corps, Marine Corps Systems Command, 2200 Lester Street, Quantico, VA, 22134-5010
    Description
    This is notice of intended sole-source procurement on behalf of the Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC). The procurement is for Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), SOC .45 caliber pistol posted in accordance with FAR 5.101(a)(1).

The Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM) intends to contract on a sole-source basis with Springfield Armory, 420 West Main Street, Geneseo, IL 61254 for MEU (SOC) .45 caliber pistol and associated packaging, marking and shipment. The following represents the governments intended parts list with quantities covered by this solicitation:

(1) PC9111MC: Professional 1911-A1 .45ACR pistols
    Number: 150

The anticipated dollar amount is $284,850.00

Period of Performance: Date of Contract to 31 March 2005.
    FOB: Destination
    Delivery Point(s):

1. 75 pistols delivered to:
    DODAAC: MMSA01
    Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, GA
    Traffic Management Officer
    MCLB Bldg 1221 Dr 20
    MF FSD MMSA01 Weapons Whse 1340 Dr 9
    Albany, GA 31704-5000

Attn: Mr. Willie Harris, (229) 639-5533

2. 75 pistols delivered to:
    DODAAC: MMSA02
    Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, CA
    DLA and G MF MMSA02
    Bldg 625 WE Yermo Annex
    FSD MCLB
    Barstow, CA 92311-5048

Attn: Ms Jane Sloat or Mr. Tony Marquez
    Phone: 760-577-7345

Responsible sources capable of satisfying this requirement are encouraged to submit a statement of capability and costs, which, if timely received, will be considered. Information must be provided to the contact cited above not later than 3:00 PM (EST) 16 March 2005.
    gatorbait51 and pgrass101 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Stopping Power

Quote Originally Posted by Tholzel View Post
    It's true that nothing beats the .45 in stopping a perp in his tracks--especially if you are not that great of a shot. But if--like the Delta Force guys--you are a perfect shot, able to hit your target time and again under all sorts of conditions--then it makes sense (to me) to carry more rounds rather than fewer, since an excellent shot with a 9mm round will kill a BG just as well as an excellent shot with a .45.
    I like the points you make above but if I might add to it: There really is no such thing as stopping power except on television or in movies. Bullets punch holes and let the juices out. The bigger the bullet the bigger the hole. That's it! Always shoot for center of mass! Always put at least two on center to inflict the maximum damage, and always move afterward so your position is ever changing. Standing in one spot unloading mag after mag trying to get a head shot is akin to turning the gun on yourself! Don't do it and don't act like you are in a movie! As someone said earlier, perfect practice makes perfect. I have never heard that before but I have heard "Success is where preparation meets opportunity" and find that to be a very true statement. Plan and Prepare diligently and if the time ever comes for you to have to employ that plan your preparation will pay off! In reverse, you can have the biggest gun in the world but if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it under the stress of incoming rounds you are not likely to be successful!

You know his highness's birthday certificate was on the internet
    does that not validate the internet.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links