Looking for input on an AR purchase

This is a discussion on Looking for input on an AR purchase within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGP250 Does that help? My understanding? Yes. My wallet? Nope. Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also doing research for my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for input on an AR purchase

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Does that help?
    My understanding? Yes. My wallet? Nope.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also doing research for my first AR. What's the first piece of the puzzle you should pick out? Upper? Then lower? then stock? then optics/iron?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    My understanding? Yes. My wallet? Nope.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm also doing research for my first AR. What's the first piece of the puzzle you should pick out? Upper? Then lower? then stock? then optics/iron?
    You just need to start a Christmas fund for yourself.

I think most usually start with the lower and the trigger assembly. Have a look at ar-15.com. Lots of good information there.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

It means, Yes you can build an AR- for your own use. It is to be for sporting use only but who is going to know the difference?

The main thing to understand is that Frame, Upper and lower receivers are considered firearms. That means, Yes you DO have to go through an FFL to buy those parts. You can buy barrels, scopes, butt stocks without an FFL but the major parts are regulated by federal law and can only legally be purchased by an FFL or transfered to an FFL. GCR is Gun Control Act.
    Does that help?
    The only part of an AR-15 that is considered a firearm is the lower receiver, you can order and ship the upper receiver straight to your house.

Getting back to the OP, just make sure that you decide on the proper barrel for the kind of shooting you plan on doing. Most of the mid-tier rifle companies ship rifles with barrels with a 1:9 twist, which has problems stabilizing bullets heavier than 69gr. I don't really know enough about varmint shooting to know whether that's a problem or not though.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    The only part of an AR-15 that is considered a firearm is the lower receiver, you can order and ship the upper receiver straight to your house.

Getting back to the OP, just make sure that you decide on the proper barrel for the kind of shooting you plan on doing. Most of the mid-tier rifle companies ship rifles with barrels with a 1:9 twist, which has problems stabilizing bullets heavier than 69gr. I don't really know enough about varmint shooting to know whether that's a problem or not though.

That would be true of the AR-15 and its variants and I stand corrected. My references are still current but ATF says that they have determined that only the lower receiver of an AR-15 is considered a firearm and only that part needs to be purchased from an FFL. Industry Operations told me this only apples to AR-15's, not M-14,
    M1A or other rifles and that U.S.C. 921 still applies.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

[IMG][/IMG]The only part that needs to go thru a FFL is the lower with serial number on it. You can also build your own from an 80% Lower, which needs machining and drilling. It does not have to be registered and can only be built for your personal use. I have 3 unfinished blanks I am working on now and have built 5 previously. If your capable , this is the way to go. Buy premium parts. LMT, Spikes Tactical, Bravo Company, Noveske, Etc.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

It means, Yes you can build an AR- for your own use. It is to be for sporting use only but who is going to know the difference?

The main thing to understand is that Frame, Upper and lower receivers are considered firearms. That means, Yes you DO have to go through an FFL to buy those parts. You can buy barrels, scopes, butt stocks without an FFL but the major parts are regulated by federal law and can only legally be purchased from an FFL or transfered to an FFL. GCR is Gun Control Act.
    Does that help?
    Not so.

An AR-15 upper receiver (complete or incomplete) does not require transfer through an FFL.

If it did, it would be serial numbered, and have the manufacturer's name and location engraved on it. I have yet to see one that has these features.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I bought a Remington R-15 VTR from Cabela's on sale for $900 a while back. Nice rifle, accurate, camo print. I think DPMS makes it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

JEV
    Actually, I believe Bushmaster builds them for Remington...

Quote Originally Posted by JEV View Post
    Actually, I believe Bushmaster builds them for Remington...

Bushmaster makes their .223's; DPMS makes their .308's.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You may want to check out the rifle on the front page of spikes tactical: www.spikestactical.com - its $800 and is pretty well built for the price.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links