Please tell me how to clean the feed ramp of my AR-15

This is a discussion on Please tell me how to clean the feed ramp of my AR-15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can someone please tell me the best way to clean the feed ramp of my AR-15? Is there a better way to take it apart, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone please tell me the best way to clean the feed ramp of my AR-15? Is there a better way to take it apart, or a secret? I just take a 12 gauge brass brush and twist it around, and then use some cleaning solvent on a cue tip. That just doesn't seem to be enough, it still has lots of gunk in there. Thanks for the help.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

If you're not satisfied with what you're doing try getting an AR chamber brush thats designed to clean that area. It might do a better job than a 12ga brush. You might also consider one of the foaming bore cleaners.

BROWNELLS : M16 & AR-15 CHAMBER BRUSHES - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Brownells Search : Search Results for "foaming" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Chamber brush and harsh language.

I also use Gunscrubber. It actually takes care of a light day's shooting without any scrubbing.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Get the dedicated chamber brush, then some solvent and compressed air.

Do you mean the fed ramps (plural), or the locking lugs? Don't drive yourself nuts trying to get those locking lugs on the barrel side of the lockup clean. The feed ramps should simply wipe clean with solvent on a patch.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you for the help. Gasmitty: I was referring to the place in between the ramps themself and the barrel. it is really hard to get my fingers in there. Does anyone actually take the rifle apart at this spot? If so....how? lol
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Thank you for the help. Gasmitty: I was referring to the place in between the ramps themself and the barrel. it is really hard to get my fingers in there. Does anyone actually take the rifle apart at this spot? If so....how? lol
    That would require armorer-level disassembly of the gun. If you can't squirt it out with the little red 'wand' on the can of Gun Scrubber, or loosen it with the chamber brush, don't worry about it. It's not going to interfere with the gun's operation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

+1

Shoot more, clean less, use more lube. ARs don't need to be perfectly clean to work and last a long, long time.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The OP means the star chamber.

A lot of swearing and patience with q-tips and paper towels.

Alternatively, someone makes chamber maids, which are felt cleaning pads that fit on the end of a cleaning rod and are the exact size and shape of a star chamber. Little spendy, though.

I experienced some luck using a bore snake.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Just use a chamber brush, but keep in mind that the rifle doesn't have to be perfectly clean. I keep one of these with the rifle at all times in a pouch on my rifle case, which has everything I need to clean the rifle.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

i clean mine with Q-tips and a pair of long nose pliers, I cut the q-tips in half and use the pliers to wipe them, but be carefil dont scratch the upper with the small pliers . I would use a tweezers if you have that special tweezer that locks that would be good for the q -tips.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Here's my method. Get a CHAMBER BRUSH for the AR15. Put it on one of those extensions, and hook 'er up to a cordless drill. Stick the chamber brush into that starfish and let the drill rip. It'll look like chrome after a few seconds. Use q-tips to clean out the dust, and lube it up. Also I use a smaller caliber brass barrel brush from a 9mm or .40 cal for the bolt. Stick a 9mm barrel brush into a cordless drill. Spin real fast and run the top curved portion of the bolt over the spinning brush. Cleans that caked on residue off in about 10 seconds.

First you are using the wrong cleaner. Use Gunzilla. See Gunzilla The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner Over 200 Defensive Carry Members have used it and not one single complaint. It does everything the Gunzilla website says it does.Combat soldiers are reporting 75% less failures using Gunzilla. Honestly few if any of us shoot as much as they do in as harsh conditions as they do.
    So spray your AR with Gunzilla let it set than clean with proper tools. Use the right brush not a 12 gauges brush. If needed repeat. Finally, you can dry off your weapon and run it with just the dry lube left by Gunzilla. But you can also run it wet with Gunzilla especially if it is not perfectly clean. Though that is hard to imagine. Give the whole assembly a light spray and than run it wet. Than go shoot it. When you get to cleaning again you will see that Gunzilla has turned that old carbon into sludge that wipes right off. The more you shoot and clean with Gunzilla the cooler she will shoot and the cleaner she will get.
    Read the whole thread at Gunzilla The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner 200 DC members can not all be wrong. I like Gunzilla so much I buy it by the gallon
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Here's my method. Get a CHAMBER BRUSH for the AR15. Put it on one of those extensions, and hook 'er up to a cordless drill. Stick the chamber brush into that starfish and let the drill rip. It'll look like chrome after a few seconds. Use q-tips to clean out the dust, and lube it up. Also I use a smaller caliber brass barrel brush from a 9mm or .40 cal for the bolt. Stick a 9mm barrel brush into a cordless drill. Spin real fast and run the top curved portion of the bolt over the spinning brush. Cleans that caked on residue off in about 10 seconds.
    That just seems like a really bad idea for some reason.

Edit: Doesn't appear to be unheard of, just never heard of it being done.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

after your normal barrel cleaning, get a can of cheep walmart break cleaner...

PUT ON YOUR SHOOTING GLASSES!!!... if you dont i garentie it will spray back in your eyes...

put the straw on it,.. point the barrel down, soak the start chamber area..

it will wash all crap down the barrel, give 1 quick squirt down the gas tube to flush that, then run a dry patch down the barrel starting at the chamber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links