Looking for a 22LR Rifle

Looking for a 22LR Rifle

This is a discussion on Looking for a 22LR Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think it's time to purchase a 22 rifle for the following reasons: 1) to teach my daughter to shoot. She is not there yet, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for a 22LR Rifle

Looking for a 22LR Rifle

I think it's time to purchase a 22 rifle for the following reasons:

1) to teach my daughter to shoot. She is not there yet, but maybe in a couple years.
    2) for plinking
    3) for shtf type scenarios, as purchasing 22Lr in bulk is easy.

I have been looking at an inexpensive Marlin 60 ($180 with cheapo scope). I was really ready to buy when I realized I have no idea what else I should be looking at.

Any suggestions? Is the Marlin ok? I'm not looking to drop a real chunk of cash but I also don't want junk. I know, it's a delema
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Administrator
    Marlin builds a good rifle for a fair price. I have a few Marlins, they all are pretty darn good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The Marlins are good values. I personally give the edge to the Ruger 10/22, but their prices have shot up beyond what I think they're worth these days. You might also check out the Remington 597, but it's more expensive than the Marlin 60.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

+1 on the Ruger 10/22. They are a blast to shoot and there are many aftermarket parts that you can install yourself for your perfect plinker. I own a couple of them myself.

+1 on the Ruger 10/22. Especially for survival. I like a wood stock, just got one walnut checkered, ~$300 ordered through FFL friend.

But the Ruger also comes with a smooth beechwood stock, or composite (least expensive). Haven't customized yet, and the trigger may be the first mod.

I went with the Ruger because of the availability of after market parts, it's semi-auto, versus the CZ 452, which is bolt action, and a lot less money. The CZ is arguably more accurate, but then, so is an Anschutz.

The Ruger seems to be a good compromise between quality, accuracy, and price. YMMV

I own a Marlin model 60 in stainless steel and love it. Rifle always cycles and fires flwlessly. I have never had a problem with it feeding all types of .22 ammo that I throw in it. It is a simple basice rifle and is what I put in the hands of many new people I take shooting for the first time. Although the Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle and customizeable the price right now keeps me from getting one. Hope this helps.

If you can find a good used Ruger 10/22 the money will be best spent. Having said that I've done a lot of leg work on the new guns and if I am buying a new one today then Marlin is the way I would go. The new 10/22's are over priced.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I paid $189.00 for my Ruger 10/22 back in November of '09. It is a very fun and accurate little rifle.

gtv
    I have the Remington 597, and I really like it. It is a very accurate rifle, and I think I paid $150 at Walmart for mine. The QA on this line of guns of late has been somewhat sketchy, which makes me hesitate to recommend them to anyone, however.

Bass Pro Shops sent me a flier for an sale ending May 9, and they list the Marlin 795 for $99.94 after $25 mail-in rebate. Not a bad price on that one.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

The Marlins are excellent values. I dont know what will become of them since Remington is buying them out. That being said the 60, the Rem 597 and Ruger 10/22, are all excellent values. I also like the CZ line of 22s.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

mrm
    Ya know I may not be popular here for saying this with all the other comments that are being put down but you are about to make the same mistake I did with the semi auto rifle being used to teach your daughter how to shoot, once they figure out they can just keep pulling the trigger they will, also it really cuts down on safety. the marlin you have to load from a tube in the top, which in my experience every child ive seen do it is basically looking down the barrel (not safe). the ruger is better cause it has a magazine you can clear to go check her targets. IMHO you should look around for a bolt action magazine feed rifle Like ruger 77/22, savage, or cz 452 american. I teach shooting sports for kids and observed alot out at the range and it seems that the fathers who do the semi auto thing are working harder instilling firearm safety.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

jbs
    I picked up a Ruger 10/22 a couple weeks ago at a gun show. $230 plus tax. This is the all weather model. Shoots great and is a blast.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

I was just using my Marlin 795 with a cheap walmart scope to pick off shotgun shells at 100 yards yesterday. I was using Fed Bulk ammo and a 9x scope. I'd say that's accurate enough for just about anyone.

I do agree with getting a mag fed bolt action though. When I first got mine and got a little frustrated I would just start slapping the trigger, this does nothing but lead to more frustration.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    I do like my Ruger 10/22, but the best .22 I own is my Sig 522. It's more money, but the accuracy is better, and it is more reliable than the Ruger.

For a child to learn on, I don't think you can beat a mag fed bolt action, but the Ruger 10/22 would be a close second.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

An old Remington bolt action 22 would serve you well. The ones I have are very accurate.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links