Garage built machine gun!!

This is a discussion on Garage built machine gun!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 See post #3....but if we're talking the SHTF (i.e. gov't is no longer in control), I guess you could do whatever ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage built machine gun!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    See post #3....but if we're talking the SHTF (i.e. gov't is no longer in control), I guess you could do whatever you like.

But since that is NOT the case, no.
    Then why do I see H&K full auto sears for sale?
    What good would they do anybody if they can't use the?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

2. Remove Ads

Actually, isn't there a product on the market to turn 2 or 3 Ruger 10/22's into a modern version of a Gatling gun? I could've sworn I saw it on here on DC. ATF legal also, since it uses a crank and only fires one shot at a time.

Other than that, the closest you'll get to owning a machine gun is saving at least 5 grand, and finding a dealer to sell you either a MAC or an Uzi (after jumping through the hoops to legally take ownership of one.) Submachine guns are generally the cheapest in the world of full autos.

Edit: Here it is - http://www.tacticalinc.com/ruger-102...num-p-571.html

You can also learn to bumpfire. Otherwise known as "the poor mans machinegun."
    Last edited by Katana; April 21st, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added link
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Stuff like this is all over the place.....

WTS HK Knights Sear Pack Mod 94 #3 $17,500
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I wish it were legal. Unfortunately, it'll likely result in a paid vacation to FPMIA prision

Full Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    If you wait until the end of the world it really won't matter what the alphabet soup group thinks about your idea. I don't condone illegal activity of course but for all practical purposes, the end of the world would actually be a survival of the fittest anyway.

Until then though, keep 'er legal. (SMILING)
    I like the way you think Sarge45...

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Actually, isn't there a product on the market to turn 2 or 3 Ruger 10/22's into a modern version of a Gatling gun? I could've sworn I saw it on here on DC. ATF legal also, since it uses a crank and only fires one shot at a time.

Other than that, the closest you'll get to owning a machine gun is saving at least 5 grand, and finding a dealer to sell you either a MAC or an Uzi (after jumping through the hoops to legally take ownership of one.) Submachine guns are generally the cheapest in the world of full autos.

Edit: Here it is - Tactical Innovations
    The same thing I was thinking, get two Ruger 10/22s and the Gattling Gun conversion which is perfectly legal as long as it's manually operated (no electric or air motor, etc.). I first saw that one you posted on Cabelas site a couple years ago (here it is).
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

VIP Member
    The Gatling gun method still is multiple semi-auto rifles firing one round per trigger pull. This is how it gets past the ATF.

For the answer to the original question see ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - National Firearms Act Handbook See especially chapters 2, 6, and 15.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

It was legal to do your own conversions with proper paperwork and fees paid up until I think 1986. Ronald Reagan signed into law the end of this , it isn`t just the Dem party that has added firearms restrictions and jacked the cost of them.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    See post #3....but if we're talking the SHTF (i.e. gov't is no longer in control), I guess you could do whatever you like.

But since that is NOT the case, no.

It has been my understanding that a REGISTERED fully automatic sear (DIAS) is legally the machine gun in and of itself and perfectly legal to drop into a semi automatic AR15 for example. This is also why these spare parts sell for upwards of $7000 all by themselves. Verses those Adrimrial Ackbar aproved $200 ones you see in the shotgun news and similar publications.

What I understand isn't legal is to make one of those auto sears, or install an unregistered one (Like from a broken M16) into an AR15. As those parts are not registered before 1986 and therefore you would be creating a new machine gun.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My advice:

1. You don't need full auto. Expensive, wasteful.

2. If you really really want full auto in case of when society breaks down, just learn how to file down your sear and keep a file handy.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Before you spend the money on a registered sear, make sure you do your homework and dont need other parts. There is more to a FA gun than just the sear. If you file the hammer notch down on a regular sear, more than likely the hammer will just follow the carrier and not strike the firing pin. Other parts might be needed that are actuated when the bolt closes in the barrel then trips the auto-sear. Depends on the weapon and its design on how it is configured. You dont want the hammer to fall before the bolt is fully closed. Not safe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My advice:
    just learn how to file down your sear and keep a file handy.
    That isn`t how things work.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That isn`t how things work.
    OK I'll admit I know nothing about it; I was being half humorous with that response. I assumed if the OP tried to educate himself he would find out the facts.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It was legal to do your own conversions with proper paperwork and fees paid up until I think 1986. Ronald Reagan signed into law the end of this , it isn`t just the Dem party that has added firearms restrictions and jacked the cost of them.
    Actually, if you look up the circumstances that caused the addendum of the cutoff date for civilian manufactured machine guns, that was a democrat add-on the Firearm Owners Protection Act. They added it to the original bill, much like the republicans added the national parks carry provision to the credit card act signed by Obama.

The wikipedia article on it:
    As debate for FOPA was in its final stages, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed an amendment (House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332) to ban the civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon which was not registered by May 19, 1986. However, any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

Controversy exists regarding the validity of the amendment's inclusion into FOPA. The vote to include the amendment took place at night, when many of the lawmakers who would be opposed to its inclusion were not present. Despite an apparent defeat of the amendment by voice vote, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), at the time presiding over the proceedings, declared the amendment approved. Hughes and Rangel were longtime "gun control" supporters.[4]

(I'm not trying to get political here mods, just the way I always understood it to have happened.)
    Last edited by Katana; April 26th, 2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Added info
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    It has been my understanding that a REGISTERED fully automatic sear (DIAS) is legally the machine gun in and of itself and perfectly legal to drop into a semi automatic AR15 for example. This is also why these spare parts sell for upwards of $7000 all by themselves. Verses those Adrimrial Ackbar aproved $200 ones you see in the shotgun news and similar publications.

What I understand isn't legal is to make one of those auto sears, or install an unregistered one (Like from a broken M16) into an AR15. As those parts are not registered before 1986 and therefore you would be creating a new machine gun.
    This is correct! If you damage or break the sear so that it is not usable anymore, you are out of luck, from what I understand, you cannot replace anything on the sear as it has the serial number on it. You can try to weld to repair it, but that is all. I have a friend that has a few for HK MP-5s, 53s and one for a AR. He registered the sears so they can be legally transferred into other weapons. The guns themselves are SBRs. More expensive that way (two stamps per gun), but he has more options that way.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links