Defensive Carry banner

Feed issues on my USP recently

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I went shooting with my brothers to break in my new p2000sk. I figured while we were out we would put rounds through my .45 USPf. I bought a several boxes of Remington ball for both guns and hit the range.

During shooting my brother came over and said there was a problem. There was a unfired round that had stood up in the ejection port during feeding. I cleared it and we had no more problems with either gun that day. Both the .40 and .45 were shooting the Remington just fine minus the aforementioned feed issue.

That weekend we hit the range again. Bought six more boxes of Remington and starting practicing. Both of my brothers were with me this time and during this range visit, both brothers had the same issue of the round standing up. One time for one and twice for the other. The spacing of this feeding issue was inconsistent. I field stripped it, checked and reassembled. I never saw anything wrong. In two days, I had put through nearly 500 rounds with a total of 4 feed failures. Each time the round was standing up in the ejection port.

Since then, I have had no problems. The p2000sk was shooting the same brand and had no failures. My USP has been flawless until this account. I have never personally experienced a problem. My gun is well maintained and was clean and oiled at the time of shooting.

So, here is my question:

Is it an ammo problem, magazine problem, or was it a shooter issue like limp wristing, or something else? Please let me know what you think.

See less See more
#2 ·
Was it the same mag?
If your magazine lip has been bent or just stretched it may be steering your rounds hi above the feed ramp.
I think it's a mag issue, but would number the bottoms and find out.
My USPc .40 and USPf .40 has never had a problem, but it happens.

#3 · (Edited)
Both mags were being used and they were not marked, so I have no way of knowing if it was one in particular. There is no apparent damage to the feed lips. Both mags remain loaded with my SD daily, but having the mags springs under constant tension have never presented a problem before or now. I have shot since these feed issues and I had no problems. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Anyone else? It has me worried because this is my primary carry. I don't like having the doubt.

#4 ·
I once had this problem with my USP and reloads. I think I just cooked up a batch of perfect power combined with bullet profile to make the USP choke occasionally.
As long as other ammo works fine I would just avoid the rem stuff.

#6 ·
I've been reading up on H&K's, and have seen that they don't recommend any ammo with aluminum casings. Was the ammo in question brass or something else?

(I get that Blazer 380 ammo for the range that has the casing made of some other material, I think it's aluminum.)

Just thought I would mention this, forgive me if you know all about it already.

#8 ·
I've run thousands of rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum through my HK USPf .45 without a single issue. Actually, I've had zero ammo issues with any of my HK's. The only change I might suggest is replacing the mag springs with Wolff +10% mag springs for the USP. If the slide won't stay back, look at the spring as the problem first.

#9 ·
Could be a mag spring issue too, Willie. That's about the only time I've seen a gun stand one up in the mag like that (and then I've seen them flipped around backward too).

On the USP45 they had a soft breech face issue, btw. If yours is part of that series, you have some hard decisions to make. Look for a "headstamp" pressed into the breech face! (Round mark or depression around the firing pin hole, about the size of a .45 case head).

#11 ·
Sounds to me like the slide is standing the round up in the mag on its ejection stroke. Mag is allowing rounds to rise too far. Like CDWolf said, number the mags and you'll find the problem. Right now a stronger mag spring is not going to fix it, the mag probably needs adjusted.

#12 ·
Thanks QKShooter! Good call. I made the edit.

So, I have shot since with no problems. I am unable to reproduce the feed failure. Can I continue to carry as my primary confidently or should I wait till I am able to isolate the issue, assuming I can? Thoughts anyone?

#13 ·
I would suggest taking it out and shooting a couple hundred rounds yourself (using Remington ammo). If you don't have a problem it was most likely the shooters fault. If you encounter problems then search further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.