Target Pistol

Target Pistol

This is a discussion on Target Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at getting a new target pistol in .22cal. I have some options but I would like some opinions. In the following order ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Pistol

Target Pistol

I am looking at getting a new target pistol in .22cal. I have some options but I would like some opinions. In the following order I care about these items: 1. Accuracy 2. Reliability 3. Price. 4. Looks (Budget is approx. $300-500) I want a traditional looking pistol and it has to be one that is new.

Here are some guns I have in mind:
    1. Sig Mosquito
    2. Browning Buck Mark
    3. Ruger Mark 3
    4. Walther P22

Is there some other I should be considering?

Senior Moderator
    I like the Ruger MarkII myself
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member
    We have a buckmark and a mosquito. While the mosquito is plenty FUN and cheap to shoot, it is the big gun feel in the hand and practice with big gun type action that makes it appealling.

The buckmark is MUCH more accurate, longer barrel etc and really made to be more accurate.

Two completely different guns imho. (I'd get the mosquito - the only ammo that works in it is the CCI minimag - others jam like crazy just the manual tells you)

This is my '07 Browning BuckMark .22 Camper with a Bushnell Trophy 30mm Red dot on a Weigand base.

It's more accurate than I am most of the time. I like the way it looks, but there are more expensive/flashy models out there if that's the look you're going for. Different or longer barrels are also available. Most of the time, with this model, I can keep all my shots about 1.5-2" group at 20 yards off-hand. From the bench, I've shot at 20, 50, and 100 yards. Yes, 100 yards. We have good sized (8-10" tall, about 4-5" wide), metal, woodchuck/groundhog targets at our range and from the bench at 100, this pistol will take them down every shot. Just put the dot center of mass and squeeze.

Price was $250 for the gun and about $80 for the scope. But, like I said, there are fancier models of the BuckMark than the Camper model.

If you're looking for a target pistol, the Browning and the Ruger are where it's at. The Sig and the Walther are plinkers, IMO.

VIP Member
    Either BuckMark or Ruger MIII would be an excellent choice. I haven't priced a Browning recently, but the Ruger should fall inside your budget. Both are accurate and accessories are readily available for them.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

22 Pistol

I have a S&W 22s that is an old model and has always shot fantastic, so, my friend just bought a Beretta Neos and guess what?
    It shoots absolutely the same and functioned perfectly. Reviews for this 22 are all positive. I would buy one, even though I don't like Berettas centerfire pistols.

I highly suggest the MarkIII for many many reasons, most of which you can read in my recent review of the 22/45 model:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...view-pics.html
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Beretta U22 Neos is deserving of consideration.

The browning or the ruger.
    The Ruger IMO is the best all round gun. I have shot several of the models. Im actually getting one soon myself.
    Im looking at the Hunter 22/45 with the 4.5 inch barrel. I will then order the longer barrel for squirrel season.
    Good luck
    A 22 pistol is one of the best guns to own (remember when you could get 550 Fed bulk packs at Walmart for $9?) Those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Beretta U22 Neos is deserving of consideration.

This. I love mine. I never thought I would enjoy a .22, but this one changed my mind. I can shoot it all day. Its ridiculously easy to maintain and use.

gtv
    I would recommend either the Ruger or Buckmark. The Mk III is a great gun, and my mom's Buckmark is probably the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.

I have to say, though, that the first time I saw the Beretta Neos, I did not like it, but after handling one at the LGS, I have changed my mind. It has a good feel, and is well-balanced.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I am looking at getting a new target pistol in .22cal. I have some options but I would like some opinions. In the following order I care about these items: 1. Accuracy 2. Reliability 3. Price. 4. Looks (Budget is approx. $300-500) I want a traditional looking pistol and it has to be one that is new.

Here are some guns I have in mind:
    1. Sig Mosquito
    2. Browning Buck Mark
    3. Ruger Mark 3
    4. Walther P22

Is there some other I should be considering?
    I like all of your selections except for one. The Sig Sauer Mosquito was the worst mistake Sig ever made. What were they thinking?
    The Walther is so much better for for about the same price. It is accurate, feels good in the hand, feeds well and mags are inexpensive. I have 10. It is modeled after the P99 and is 3/4 the size. It is 1/2" shorter and about the same width as the Walther PPS that I normally carry. I have taken some pics of mine with one next to my 5" Kimber 1911 to give you an idea of size. The Browning and the Ruger are good target range pistols. The Browing Buck Mark is well made and probably a little more accurate that the P22, mostly due to the barrel length

IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0016.jpg
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I vote for my Walther P22. Love it! Inexpensive practice.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Check out a Mark III 22/45. Fun, reliable tack driver.

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

VIP Member
    1. Sig Mosquito
    2. Browning Buck Mark
    3. Ruger Mark 3
    4. Walther P22

I have

#1 Good but use CCI Mini Mags .22 bulk will not work in mine.

#4. Had problems had to send it back, I tend to leave it in the safe.

#2. Browning is a good range gun, love to shoot it and it hits the mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links