Safe Deposit Box

Safe Deposit Box

This is a discussion on Safe Deposit Box within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have more guns than I need for home defense and concealed carry so I'm thinking about putting at least one gun in my safe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Deposit Box

Safe Deposit Box

I have more guns than I need for home defense and concealed carry so I'm thinking about putting at least one gun in my safe deposit box at the bank. That way it won't be in the house when the feds come knocking on my door to search my house for it.

Thoughts?

I have had that same thought. I have seen LE take every gun in the house into evidence after a shooting incident.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

When FDR began the process of removing gold from circulation there provisions in the law that allowed the federal governemt to be present at the time of retreval of a safe deposit box to ensure that someone wasn't holding on to their gold, if the government so chose to do. I don't know of examples of them ever doing it, however the precident has been established and I'm sure that if an agency of the government thought you had somehing pertinent in there they could get it, or at least pevent you from getting it without their presense.

You may want to double check your safety deposit box agreement to ensure they allow you to store a firearm there. Not sure if all banks allow you to. Not that they would ever really know what you put in your box...just sayin
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

VIP Member

Read your deposit box contract

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    You may want to double check your safety deposit box agreement to ensure they allow you to store a firearm there. Not sure if all banks allow you to. Not that they would ever really know what you put in your box...just sayin
    Exactly. Read the deposit box contract. Generally it will have a clause to the effect that certain things can't be put in there. CASH usually. Guns usually.

Of course as pointed out, "not that they would ever really know."

However to the OP, if you are thinking you can hide something from Uncle Sam or from the police that qualifies as either evidence or contraband, think again. You will be committing yet other felonies they will add to the indictment when they figure it out.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Um, as a suspect in a crime, you don't have to help the authorities past telling them your name.

It is called the 5th Amendment.

Depends on the bank, as stated, but... I kept a handgun and a couple of boxes of ammo in a safe deposit box near my job for probably 5 years. The bank employees fastidiously avoided looking at the box once it was in my hands, and a private room was always available for opening the box and dealing with the contents. A couple of times I felt funny leaving the bank with a gun in my attache case or holstered and concealed, but no one knew besides me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Jason Bourne does it all the time. No problem! Cash, guns, passports, whatever.

Oh, movies aren't real? But the kids think they are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    One Suntrust bank near us says no guns in the boxes, another where we do business says it's not a problem. I don't think it's any of their business. Don't ask, don't tell.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

MAybe like when you send a weapon back to Hi Point for repairs (don't ask)
    they say to disassemble it and lable it "machine parts"
    So disassemble the weapon and call it machine parts?

VIP Member
    Or you could just keep it at a relative s house or close friend
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just a thought here..

Read also the section on the agreement regarding access should you die or become mentally incapacitated in some manner.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

read the terms supplied by your bank

I have done the research and chase has a 14 agreement to sign upon opening a safe deposit box. It specifically states firearms are not permitted. I will say the specific banker I was working with said we truly don't know what you store implying a don't ask don't tell policy. Do the math though a safe deposit box large enough for two full size pistols will cost you 100-150 dollars a year. Over the long haul invest in a safe. As a short term until you reach that point it depends on the institution and their terms and conditions.

im sure they can find out / get it easy enough if they want to / think of it, but still not a bad idea
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

First off if you are trying to avoid the government opening a box.Simply do not have it in your name. Have your wife open the box in her name. You can be an authorized signer on the signature card but your name will not appear in any bank computer records.

Second if you are looking to hide something that nobody is going to find easily and it is secure. Most major hotels will have a safety deposit boxes inside their hotel. Some of them will be willing to rent out a box without being a guest of the hotel or you might have to stay 1 night out of the year. It may be more expensive but there will not be any banking record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links