Travelling from VA to KC, MO - Need advice

This is a discussion on Travelling from VA to KC, MO - Need advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings all... I'm driving from VA to MO via I-64/I-70 (through WV, KY, IN and IL I have my VA CWP and that keeps me ...

Thread: Travelling from VA to KC, MO - Need advice

Travelling from VA to KC, MO - Need advice

Greetings all...
    I'm driving from VA to MO via I-64/I-70 (through WV, KY, IN and IL
    I have my VA CWP and that keeps me legal in all the states I'm travelling through (except for PRIL--of which I am a legal resident (I'm military)--and am familiar with IL's lunatic laws)
    My question is (for those who can answer with confidence), aside from the laws that are written, what have *your* experiences been when carrying in a vehicle, stops, dealings with LE, when in WV, KY, IN and MO?
    Pitfalls? Stuff to be aware of?? I've been spoiled living in freedom/VA...please advise

Mike in VA

2. Remove Ads

MO is fine - just keep it completely concealed. Otherwise, it's considered brandishing. I've had some contact with LE and has all been polite and professional. I've not been asked if I was carrying and didn't volunteer any information.
    KC MO and KC KS has a very blurred dividing line. Kansas has no CCW until 2007.
    Check out the Majestic Hotel in KC for great steaks and jazz music.

VIP Member
    I just drove that except I take I-70 all the way because in VA I'm near Dulles airport. I assume you'll be on I-64 to The Loo (St Louis) and then I-70 across.

In the PRIL you'll have to lock it up away from you of course. The other states should be fine. In MO in the car you don't need a permit. Otherwise MO is not really open carry. As mentioned be careful in KC that you are in MO and not in Kansas. One side of State line road is in MO the other in Kansas for example. Otherwise similar restrictions that you are used to in VA. Except no police stations or government offices at all in MO. In VA you are ok in those areas, but not in MO. I was a CHP instructor in VA and actually still am as I still assist here on occassion. I now live in the KC area, alledgedly. I say alledgedly because I have been in VA 4 of the last 7 weeks and I'm here now for maybe 3 more. Which will make 10 out of 13 weeks.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Watch out in the rest areas after dark. I typically only use populated area gas stations once it gets dark. Sometimes it is a pain because I'll get off the interstate and get right back on because I don't like the looks of the station or whatever, but I haven't ever had a problem and I do drive into the wee hours of the morning. I just arrived at 1:30 AM this morning from KC in fact. Also if you are going to break the drive into a couple days that would be best. If you drive in Illinois and Missouri after dark you'll soon see, or not see, what I mean. I had to stop twice on my drive west in Missouri to clean my windshield from all the bugs. They also have good sized beatles right now that definitely keep you awake when they hit the windshield. Do check the baseball schedule for the days you'll be driving and adjust your route or timing accordingly. St. Louis and KC that is. When I drove back they were having a series against each other, but it worked ok for me because they were in KC, so the fans were all heading the other way.

-Scott-

Thanks guys...great advice...I do appreciate it....others, please keep it coming.

I've made the x-country trip a few times, but through the "deep south"...never on this route before.

I'm usually in "orange" when I get ready to stop/stopped. I'm purposefully avoiding Ohio with their crazy "in plain sight"/concealed carry in a vehicle. I made a trip to PRIL (to visit parents) last year via OH and hated every minute.

I do drive at a conservative speed when travelling & carrying (1-5 mph above)...having never been through WV and KY or in MO while carrying is what concerns me most.

Mike in VA

bump

I'd look at the NRA website on interstate transportation of firearms, as well as the "handgunlaw" site. Here are both:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Both of these are pretty good sources. Good luck.

Missouri recognizes all States CCW's, and you can carry concealed in the car w/o a permit age 21 or over. Non metro area speed limits on the interstate is 70mph. It should take you about 3.5 to 4 hours to get from "The Loo" to KC. Drive safe!
    Press the fight!

I might suggest stopping at the large national chain truckstops for fuel, Flying J, T/A ect.. That will keep you close to the HWY., and in well lit areas. And the gas prices at the Flying J here where I live, is usually about the best in town. In the KC Metro area, it's easy to cross the bridge's, and end up in Kanasas by mistake. No CCW there. Have fun.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Bump

bump

Links