Micro Desert Eagle FTE

Micro Desert Eagle FTE

This is a discussion on Micro Desert Eagle FTE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my new Micro Desert Eagle to the range today for the first time. Not a good experience so far. Before going to the ...

Thread: Micro Desert Eagle FTE

Micro Desert Eagle FTE

I took my new Micro Desert Eagle to the range today for the first time. Not a good experience so far.
    Before going to the range, I broke it down and inspected everything; all looked good. I also gave it a light coat of lube before shooting.

Ran four magazined through it, with two different kinds of ammo.
    (Admittedly, one was a cheap FMJ; the other was the speer gold dots I plan to carry in it).

Every single round was a failure to eject.

My question is:
    Does anyone else have one of these?
    Have you had similar issues?
    Is there some MDE unique maintenance issue I'm missing?
    Do you know of a specific ammo I should try through it before I send it back to the mfr to check it out?

Thanks

PS. Forutnately my Sig still shoots beautifully
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I'd take a close look at the extractor - sounds like it's MIA. You didn't have any parts left over after your inspection, did you?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd take a close look at the extractor - sounds like it's MIA. You didn't have any parts left over after your inspection, did you?
    Even though that's probably something I would've noticed :P.
    I just went and looked, just to be sure. All parts are there according to the weapon's schematics. I also manually cycled through a magazine of snap caps. They all eject just fine. I'm wondering if it's just not blowing back far enough during firing. It's also not limp wristing. After the first mag's issues, I shot from a well braced position, just to rule that out (and at 200+ i'm not a small guy).
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.

OK, well, it's always good to start with the simple stuff. Just for 'belt and suspenders', take a close look at the business end of the extractor. Does it look intact? Extractors take a beating and it wouldn't be the first time an extractor broke on a new pistol. Even a small chunk of extractor breaking off would be enough to compromise its function.

Are there any markings on the fired cases which suggest there's a burr in the chamber?

With the barrel disassembled from the rest of the gun, does a fresh round slip freely into and out of the chamber?

With the slide off the gun, slip a round against the breechface and look at the engagement of the extractor with the cartridge rim. The rim should not be a tight fit, just a running to slightly loose fit under the extractor claw.

If these simple look-see checks don't show anything out of order, I'd take the gun back to where you bought it, or to a gunsmith. I'm thinking either the headspacing is off and the cartridge is seating too deeply in the chamber, or the extractor has a dimensional problem that prevents it from engaging the case rim.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks. I'll make those checks.
    I also sent a description of the issue to Magnum Research to see if this is any kind of known fault. They only respond during the week days, so I won't hear back from them for a few days.

gasmitty has it right on the extractor. I might add that after you slide a round under the extractor (w/ the slide off) you should be able to gently shake the slide and the round should fall free. If it doesn't, the extractor is too tight. (Common on some guns, and easily adjusted.) Sounds like the round my not be getting behind the claw.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

When you say fte,is it pulling the case out,but stovepiping,or is the case staying in the barrel,could be a broken or missing ejector,when you lock the slide back should have a piece of metal on the backside of bolt face sticking out,had a buddys brand new STI 9mm broke the ejector on the first round he fired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When you say fte,is it pulling the case out,but stovepiping,or is the case staying in the barrel,could be a broken or missing ejector,when you lock the slide back should have a piece of metal on the backside of bolt face sticking out,had a buddys brand new STI 9mm broke the ejector on the first round he fired
    I attached pics using a snapcap to simulate the failure.
    Attached Images

Never seen a failure of any kind with my MDE thru 500+ rounds. Runs like a swiss watch. There is definitely a mechanical issue with the extractor or ejector. May need a trip back to MR.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Quote Originally Posted by cranesrule View Post
    Never seen a failure of any kind with my MDE thru 500+ rounds. Runs like a swiss watch. There is definitely a mechanical issue with the extractor or ejector. May need a trip back to MR.
    That's what I'm thinking, that's why I already sent them a message. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm pretty well versed with firearms, and I can't find anything from my own inspection. That's why I was curious if there were any model specific, known issues.

In case anyone is looking to buy one of these and does a search of the forums and finds this thread, here is an update. The origional was a lemon. I sent it back and it was replaced with an entirely new gun. Finally got an opportunity to take it to the range over the weekend. ~150 rounds, of three different kinds of ammo all fired flawlessly.

Sponsored Links