Heat seeking bullets ?

This is a discussion on Heat seeking bullets ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am reading a book called Black Friday by James Patterson that I thought was pretty good until I came to a part where the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat seeking bullets ?

Heat seeking bullets ?

I am reading a book called Black Friday by James Patterson that I thought was pretty good until I came to a part where the good guy was issued ammo that was quote:attracted by body heat. That pretty much ruined it for me.Do you all ever get turned off when You see stuff like that?You would think the author would do a little more research. sj

2. Remove Ads

Just creative fiction.
    NRA life member.

Administrator
    Heat seeking bullets? Total BS fiction.

There are however bullets that can detect & seek out human body odor and perspiration so folks should always shower regularly and use an effective deodorant roll-on or spray in order to increase their chances of staying alive during a potentially deadly confrontation.

VIP Member
    They were Top Secret.
    Not even WalMart knows about them.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    At one time, heat seeking bullets were perfected by government scientists at one of its weapon development plants,located at an undisclosed location in Tennesee.

They worked well, so well in fact that they were later found to be unsuitable for use after killing all but one of the weapons testers that fired them.

It seems that when the bullet was fired, it would exit the barrel, go into a seeking pattern and hit the nearest target. This was not really an issue until there were no support personell left to assist. It only became an issue when the scientists that fired the weapons became the targets and all but one of them were killed.

It wasnt until the last one only got wounded that the story became clear. He, apparently aware of the fact that things werent going as planned,shot that last round from a Bullet Resistant Enclosure known as a BRE, but not only was it a heat seeking bullet, it was also an amor piercing bullet.

Luckily for him, it had dispersed most of its energy when it went through the BRE and smacked him in the head, leaving a nasty gash that required stiches and several days off from work to recuperate.

He was later appointed to a high postition in the current administration for his excellent work in the matter where he currently resides.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Heat seeking bullets? Total BS fiction.

There are however bullets that can detect & seek out human body odor and perspiration so folks should always shower regularly and use an effective deodorant roll-on or spray in order to increase their chances of staying alive during a potentially deadly confrontation.
    LOL - Did they mention which deodorants were more effective? I don't want to be caught with the wrong stuff. Old Spice for instance??
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    Somebody once shot at me with a heat seeking bullet but, I was such a Cool Guy that it couldn't find me.

Better hope it finds its target, otherwise it's gonna come back around and impact the gun it was fired from. That just seems like a waste.... I guess the answer is to fling u'r arm around when you fire to put a curve to the bullet... And I thought good hollow points were pricey....

VIP Member

Nice Deadpan HG

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    At one time, heat seeking bullets were perfected by government scientists at one of its weapon development plants,located at an undisclosed location in Tennesee.

They worked well, so well in fact that they were later found to be unsuitable for use after killing all but one of the weapons testers that fired them.

It seems that when the bullet was fired, it would exit the barrel, go into a seeking pattern and hit the nearest target. This was not really an issue until there were no support personell left to assist. It only became an issue when the scientists that fired the weapons became the targets and all but one of them were killed.

It wasnt until the last one only got wounded that the story became clear. He, apparently aware of the fact that things werent going as planned,shot that last round from a Bullet Resitant Enclosure known as a BRE, but not only was it a heat seeking bullet, it was also an amor piercing bullet.

Luckily for him, it had dispersed most of its energy when it went through the BRE and smacked him in the head, leaving a nasty gash that required stiches and several days off from work to recuperate.

We was later appointed to a high postition in the current administration for his excellent work in the matter where he currently resides.
    Nice "dead pan" there HG; but why do you have to make everything political?

Couldn't you just leave it at clever comedic commentary?

Can't we just have some fun here?

Hotguns,now you owe me for a new keyboard,because I just spit iced tea all over it.:

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I am reading a book called Black Friday by James Patterson that I thought was pretty good until I came to a part where the good guy was issued ammo that was quote:attracted by body heat. That pretty much ruined it for me.Do you all ever get turned off when You see stuff like that?You would think the author would do a little more research. sj
    I can see a problem if you're shooting at a BG holding a hostage...especially if the hostage is, say, Miss November 2009.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I tinker with writing fiction, and one thing I learned is: everything in fiction is a lie; the trick is to make it believable.
    Patterson stepped a little too far over the line with that one. I guess that's what he gets for trying to write 6-8 books at a time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well,normaly Patterson is a lot better writer than that.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, maybe if the story is ocurring in 2020 or sometime like that. Who knows what's being developed?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Its all in fun...even the politics.

They have me laughing all the time...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links