Gun Shop Ettiquite: Negotiating a price?

This is a discussion on Gun Shop Ettiquite: Negotiating a price? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question here for longtime gun buyers/gun shop employees/gun shop owners, etc... At a local gun shop, is it acceptable to negotiate prices on firearms?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shop Ettiquite: Negotiating a price?

Gun Shop Ettiquite: Negotiating a price?

Question here for longtime gun buyers/gun shop employees/gun shop owners, etc...

At a local gun shop, is it acceptable to negotiate prices on firearms?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

Yes.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Generally speaking there is a "standard" markup on stuff at local shops (like jewelry stores, etc). Any ideas what sort of percentage I could start a negotiation at? Or does it vary from gun to gun?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Take and show cash, it speaks very clearly...and it does wonders for negotiations...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    It never hurts to ask.

I always ask, "is this your best price?"

It lets them know that you are interested...if the price is right. I always start around 75 % of asking price and go from there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The markup varies from brand to brand, and with manufacturer's special deals. MSRP is typically 25-40% higher than a dealer's cost. If you look at the sale and promotional pricing in the Davidson's "Gun Genie" you can get an idea. Most dealers need to make a minimum of $20 on a gun, and probably more if it's a small shop.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Take and show cash, it speaks very clearly...and it does wonders for negotiations...
    ^^^^ Yep....CASH $$$. Ask if they can do a little better. Offer them a lower amount. Ask again for the very best price CASH $. Never drool on the weapon... that always has an adverse effect on the price.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Yeah i basically just quit buying guns at the "regular gun stores". I have a frined that runs a small shop and i feel he gives a much more fair price. I got my p2000sk from him for $125 less than the price it was listed for at the typical gun store and I didn't have to negotiate on it at all.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Cash is good,when going to a gunshow make sure you take some vaseline
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The markup varies from brand to brand, and with manufacturer's special deals. MSRP is typically 25-40% higher than a dealer's cost. If you look at the sale and promotional pricing in the Davidson's "Gun Genie" you can get an idea. Most dealers need to make a minimum of $20 on a gun, and probably more if it's a small shop.
    gasmitty,

So I'm going to use a Ruger LCR here as an example, because that's what my fiancee wants. I see on here the sale price is going around $395 + tax + fees (Florida still charges those stupid background check fees instead of the free service...). So if I were to go to a shop, it'd be best to start negotiating off the $395 amount, correct?

Do your price/cost research on the weapon you are interested in BEFORE you go to the gun shop. I always try to keep my business local, if prices are reasonable, BUT will not hesitate to let them know where I can buy my weapon of choice, and at what price, IF we can't come to some agreement. Keep in mind, if you buy/order a weapon online, you may or may not have to pay state sales tax, and will probably have to pay a FFL to handle receipt of the weapon for you. Put those two things on top of the best price you find and see how close it comes to the "local" price. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    gasmitty,

So I'm going to use a Ruger LCR here as an example, because that's what my fiancee wants. I see on here the sale price is going around $395 + tax + fees (Florida still charges those stupid background check fees instead of the free service...). So if I were to go to a shop, it'd be best to start negotiating off the $395 amount, correct?
    Not gasmitty but I doubt if you'll negotiate too much off that $395. price right now as the LCR is a hot selling little piece. I think MSRP is somewhere around $425.. Suggest you see what they are bringing on gunbroker. Your friend will love it. My wife carries one with CT grips. Good luck, let us know how you do.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

No problem oldogy,

Yea the $395 is from my local guy that handles all my FFL stuff for me. Family friend, he hooks me up with very good pricing whenever he can get it. I was using it more as an example. I'm not going to be haggling the $395 with him, more using this for future reference since I'm also in the market for a P238 and an Over/Under Beretta shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Question here for longtime gun buyers/gun shop employees/gun shop owners, etc...

At a local gun shop, is it acceptable to negotiate prices on firearms?
    It should actually be expected IMO. If you can't negotiate on the total price of the firearm, then ask for accessories, hats, stickers, etc.........
    Paying with cash helps boost negotiations as well.

You should at least be able to get them to cover the sales tax. Thats almost a given with the shops I have dealt with in Northern Ky and down in Lexington. One time Buds wouldnt budge on the price of the 2 tone P239 I bought from them, but he sweetned the deal with 2 sig magazines. Im sure the mags cost him next to nothing but it saved me some bucks, so I bought the gun.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links