For you S&W revolver aficionados

This is a discussion on For you S&W revolver aficionados within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, due to an older friend opening up and cleaning out his safe, and allowing me to partake of his generosity, I am now the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you S&W revolver aficionados

Well, due to an older friend opening up and cleaning out his safe, and allowing me to partake of his generosity, I am now the proud owner of 6 'somewhat' classics. All pre-lock in mint to excellent condition.

I have:
    A S&W Model 629-2, 6 1/2", never fired, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Top right.

A S&W M&P Model 10-7, Pinned 4", never fired, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Middle right.

A S&W Model 19-3, Pinned and Recessed 4", never fired, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Bottom right.

A S&W Model 66-2, 4", not fired much, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Top left.

A S&W K22 Model 17-3, 6", shot but well maintained, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Middle left.

A S&W Model 19-4, Pinned and Recessed 6", shot exactly 6 times, in the original box with paper work and cleaning kit. Bottom left.

My S&W Revolvers 003.jpg
    Click on picture to make it bigger

I'm a happy man!!!

Like many others here, I love S&W wheelguns!!!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Good, classic, and traditional Smith & Wesson revolvers! What a haul! They cover a lot of ground too when considering handgun applications.

Are you going to shoot them? I know I couldn't resist giving each and every one some careful "exercise."

VIP Member
    Very nice. There are nothing quite like those revolvers.

You've hit the jackpot my friend. Nice haul. I'm envious.

Talk about a "Gold Mine", you've struck it!

An unbelievable 'haul'...Wow!
    All in fantastic condition...your friend was obviously a rare find also, a great friend.

Stay armed...enjoy your revolvers...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With friends like that--wow!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...your friend was obviously a rare find also, a great friend.

Stay armed...enjoy your revolvers...stay safe!
    Thanks for the comments from all, and yes he is a great/rare friend!

bmcgilvray
    Are you going to shoot them? I know I couldn't resist giving each and every one some careful "exercise."
    I already shot the 17-3, it's a tack driver, k frame six shot 22LR, it shots as well as you would think it would

I really don't know if I can bring myself to shoot the ones that haven't been shot, but I may struggle through making myself shoot one or two........

Actually, the ones that haven't been shot will probably be put up in my safe and someday in the future I'll give them to my sons.

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Thanks for the comments from all, and yes he is a great/rare friend!

I already shot the 17-3, it's a tack driver, k frame six shot 22LR, it shots as well as you would think it would

I really don't know if I can bring myself to shoot the ones that haven't been shot, but I may struggle through making myself shoot one or two........

Actually, the ones that haven't been shot will probably be put up in my safe and someday in the future I'll give them to my sons.
    Sick Dude, OMG
    You have to shoot them This is what they were made for. IF they were commemorative editions, then I could see not fireing them
    .I am very happy for you.
    These revolvers are so much more appealing to look at
    than auto s but the times in which we live reqire the use of an auto, for all intents and purposes.
    Multiple determined assailants neccesitate it

Why is it illegal to park in a handicapped parking space but its ok to use a handicapped toilet?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

May I please have your address and the dates of your next vacation? :)

Very, very nice!

ENVY

Puffer

Very nice pistols!
    Is there anyway you could take picture of the K-22 and box alone?
    This is my Grandfathers K-22, box, cleaning gear and screwdriver all came with it. No paperwork though.

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Very nice pistols!
    Is there anyway you could take picture of the K-22 and box alone?
    This is my Grandfathers K-22, box, cleaning gear and screwdriver all came with it. No paperwork though.

I've got them all locked up now, but I'll take some more pictures of just the K22 Model 17 for you tomorrow evening. Don't worry about the paperwork with yours-here is why:

All pre war (WWII) K22s did not have the ribbed barrel, in other words the barrel was round, so from the picture I can say your's (grandfather's) was made during or after 1946. S&W dropped the trigger screw (screw in front of the trigger guard), which I can see in your picture also, in 1961.

So now we can say yours is between a 1946 and 1961.
    We can go a little farher though--S&W started officailly designating the "Model 17" in 1957, and started putting the manuals in with them then, as well as the screwdriver that came with them changed slightly (I'll take a close up of mine tomorrow and show you the difference), and started the blue box also around that time ( the two piece blue boxes start in 1957, but a few Gold boxes may have snuck in there for a little while).

So with that knurled screwdriver (which by the way is worth well over $100 by itself) in your picture and gold box we can narrow it down to 1946-1957. These, it is my understanding, did not come with a manual, so box-gun-cleaning kit, you have the entire package my friend.

Take all that loosely though, I'm 99.99% certain it is correct, but I am not a gun historian so to speak. You can go to S&W's website and request a historical background check on your gun, $50, and they will tell you the manufacture date, and where it was shipped to after leaving the factory.

You have a wonderful true S&W classic though, as well as a valuable family hierloom! Congrats

oneshot
    Sick Dude, OMG
    You have to shoot them This is what they were made for. IF they were commemorative editions, then I could see not fireing them
    .I am very happy for you.
    These revolvers are so much more appealing to look at
    than auto s but the times in which we live reqire the use of an auto, for all intents and purposes.
    Multiple determined assailants neccesitate it
    Yeah, but how cool would it be for my boys to get unfired mint condition guns, some 50-60 years old (considering IMHO when my boys would be old enough to be given such a present) as new in the box with the paperwork and cleaning kits as shipped from the factory? Yes they were made to shoot, but I think these were made for my boys to shoot first (p.s. I have an unfired, ANIB S&W Model 36for my duaghter), and I have others to shoot, so why not lay these back, and who knows what these pistols in this shape will be worth then.....

As for the autos, I generally agree with your opinion, and most of the time I carry a G27 or Sig229, or occasionally a 1911, but I do carry a wheelgun as a primary weapon sometimes and never feel under gunned when I do. While I may carry autos more, I actually own more revolvers, and carry them more often as time goes on.

I love these Classic Smiths, and my buddy too........

Wow - so cool. So did you keep the blackmail pics, or turn them over to him??
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

"I already shot the 17-3, it's a tack driver, k frame six shot 22LR, it shots as well as you would think it would."

Yeah, those Model 17 K-22s are a treat and they do shoot very well. I'm looking forward to heading to a remote area in the wilds of southwest Texas tomorrow for a couple of days of shooting and my Model 17 is tagging along.

I couldn't stand having those nice revolvers and not shooting them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links