Ever been denied purchase of Firearm?

This is a discussion on Ever been denied purchase of Firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never have but was just reading about a guy who had renewed his CCW in last few months and the Ncic's denying him . ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever been denied purchase of Firearm?

Ever been denied purchase of Firearm?

I never have but was just reading about a guy who had renewed his CCW in last few months and the Ncic's denying him .

Here in michigan if you got your ccw after oct of 2005 you can avoid ncic check if you got it before 10/05 like i did you still have to go ncic every time how lame..

2. Remove Ads

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but, Bud that avatar picture is awesome.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

thanks i have a couple i switch out from time to time

VIP Member
    Nope. When I lived in VA my insta-check was truly instant. In Mo it takes a little longer. So it goes.

-Scott-

I got denied once.

The man at the counter looked at me and said, nope,,, you don't have enough money. LOL!!!

VIP Member

Not denied, but usually delayed........

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Nope. When I lived in VA my insta-check was truly instant. In Mo it takes a little longer. So it goes.

-Scott-
    I also live in Va & for me the 'instant' check is NOT. Everytime I have it done there is a delay, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour & a half.....

-----There are 3 kinds of people in the world......sheep, wolves & sheepdogs.........Which one are you?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I always get the delayed response, probably due to not being a citizen yet.

Once, for a couple of days. Lots of people with my name, and I didn't list my SSN on the 4473. The dealer called me back, and, after I provided my #, it took a day or two. I imagine they were being extra careful.

VIP Member
    When I purchase a gun my NICS approval is instant. Several times I have had dealers say that most of their approvals were taking 5 to 30 minutes and I tell them mine won't. They look at me sort of strangely and make the call. They have an even stranger look when the approval comes back almost before they finish giving the info from the 4473. I believe it is because I really put in my full name and my middle name is unusual. I am also a junior so that makes the name even more unusual. SSAN really makes it easy for the check to go through when combined with my name. It takes the dealer longer to write the approval number down than it takes for the approval to come.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    never denied, but I hate the 10.00 fee everytime I purchase....
    thats a box of 9mm Lawman and a Diet Coke...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    When I purchase a gun my NICS approval is instant. Several times I have had dealers say that most of their approvals were taking 5 to 30 minutes and I tell them mine won't. They look at me sort of strangely and make the call. They have an even stranger look when the approval comes back almost before they finish giving the info from the 4473. I believe it is because I really put in my full name and my middle name is unusual. I am also a junior so that makes the name even more unusual. SSAN really makes it easy for the check to go through when combined with my name. It takes the dealer longer to write the approval number down than it takes for the approval to come.
    mine goes though instantly too i suppose the II at the end really helps with that also

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm
    I also live in Va & for me the 'instant' check is NOT. Everytime I have it done there is a delay, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour & a half.....
    It wouldn't torque me off so much, except they are charging you a $2 fee for INSTANT check, that for me isn't! It is REALLY bad when I am carrying another weapon at the time of purchase! Not to mention I've had a carry permit since the early 1990s.

I also go thru numerous background/ security checks (including criminal background & fingerprint checks) for work related sites I have to enter like courthouses, other state & local police facilities, Federal government facilities, military bases.

I also buy guns pretty regularly, seven so far this year.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yes i have ( expired dl is appairently NOT a valid ID in colorado ) LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've never actually been denied. But I was "delayed" everytime. More than likely because I was born in Japan (Dad was in the USAF). I finally got tired of the "looks" from dealers and other patrons so I went out and got a CHL. Funny, I normally don't give a hoot what anyone thinks in those kinds of situations, but when it came to guns I didn't like people thinking that I wasn't eligable to own a gun.

No problems at all. The only problem I ever had was the guy calling in the check couldnt get my ss# right, he kept messing up the numbers so he had someone else do it - no problem. Most of the gun stores in the area know me and do the background check because they need the approval # for the forms. They know im good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links